Stupid Driver Stories

Today, in front of my dashcam:

That traffic light looks a lot like red to me.
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/li/lipadier/2009/05/04/r1.JPG

But not to him, it seems.
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/li/lipadier/2009/05/04/r3.JPG

No braking, no speeding up...
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/li/lipadier/2009/05/04/r4.JPG

...just a classic case of oblivious cruising.
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/li/lipadier/2009/05/04/r6.JPG

Greetings, lip

Last edited:
Would the police be able to secure a conviction if you were to send those pics to them?

[url=http://img.phyrefile.com/redbull/2009/05/04/wrong.jpg][img]https://pic.armedcats.net/r/re/redbull/2009/05/04/wrong.jpg[/url]
[/img]

In green is the correct way to take this intersection. In red is the way the guy in the white Magna station-wagon took, against the red lights. He's lucky there are no red light cameras on that particular intersection...

Red lights with an old couple in a red japanese ecobox in front of me ......lights turn green....I wait a couple of seconds....nothing happens, I then slightly blow my horn to wake em up....
It was my Ford and it had one of those aftermarket compressed air horns....it was rather loud (I realy didn't mean to scare anybody, just make him pay attention, it was about to turn red again)....
Old guy wakes up, looks in his rearviewmirror only to see a huge front grill with a chrom bullbar on it (witch is something the average belgain ecoboxdriver not often sees) , compleetly panics, accidently slams it into reverse and backs it into me full throtle ......oepsie.
I had some red paintchips to clean of the bullbarr....his ecobox on the other hand....

Last edited:
Would the police be able to secure a conviction if you were to send those pics to them?

Yes, even more so with the movie.
This red light run would cost this driver 250 Sfr. (220,39 USD, 147,35 GBP).

^ No driver identification required? In Germany, that video would be useless.

In such a case the police will send the owner a form on which he has to declare who was driving the car at that time. If he says it wasn't him, he has to declare who else... and the police will check with frames of nearby traffic cams, location and time wise. On one of them the drivers face will be visible. Checkmate.

^same over here... you need to prove it wasn't you driving, otherwise they automatically assume it's you and you get the fine/ticket

In Italy too. Your car get caught by a red light camera? You pay the fine and you must declare who was driving. the driver will lose points on his licence. if you don't declare the driver, your fine is increased. Same as for speed cameras.

In such a case the police will send the owner a form on which he has to declare who was driving the car at that time. If he says it wasn't him, he has to declare who else... and the police will check with frames of nearby traffic cams, location and time wise. On one of them the drivers face will be visible. Checkmate.

Ahh ok, similar to our statutory declaration forms over here, and what the other guys above have said.

So are you going to do it? :p

So are you going to do it? :p

Yes, I mailed the videocaps to the police in St. Gallen (location of incident). They mailed back today and asked If I could provide the video too. Sent that one also.

The police officer wrote in a second mail that there is actually a combined speeding/red light flash cam on that junction, but only one, facing a pedestrian crossing on the other side of the street. Only one because that's the spot where some accidents happend.

The friendly police man gave me even more info about the imminent fine: The driver will get the 250 Sfr. fine, but if he has done a similiar thing in the past two years, he will get a written "Verwarnung" (caution) too, which will cost him another 250. If the driver was on the phone (high possibility in this case) he as to pay another 100. Furthermore if he has already received a written caution in the last two years for some other traffic incident, he will loose his licence for a month.

As much as I generally don't like "concerned citizen" reporting to the cops. I would have to say that you did the right thing in this case. This was definitely the case of too stupid/inattentive to drive. I mean I've ran redlights before but it's always because the light changes in the last second when I'm ALMOST in the intersection so not like I could stop anyway. Not like this dude/dudette...

I can actually beat lip's red light story today. I was waiting at the lights, the opposite side of the road's traffic coming the other way got a green light and ours was still red so the people taking a left onto the highway exit could cross, I know from doing the commute every day they had a green arrow. The ford transit to the right of me did not like that, so after waiting for awhile at the light they ran the light right into the stream of people taking a left barely missing two cars. The person lip saw could have just been an idiot and didn't notice the light, this person saw the red light, saw cars in front of them, and still gone. It was a commercial truck and if I ever see it again I'll write down the number on the back and call to bitch because THAT is inexcusable.

A couple of months ago my uncle and I were driving down a four lane street on the far right land when this asshole in his 1950's Corvette on the far right lane going the opposite direction decides he needs to make a U-turn across 4 lanes of traffic. When he finally was about to level out in front of us, my uncle went to the side of him, boxed him in, rolled down my window, and told him he was a douche bag, asshole. Then my uncle drove off. This guy then follows us, jumps in front of us, slams on the brakes, and gets out of his car like he wants to fight. So my uncle being a real hothead, gets out of the car and gets in this guys face. This guy, realizing that my uncle is about to kick his ass, starts saying shit like "dude you don't want to do this man! Think about it!". He then pointed at me while I was in the car and said "don't do this in front of your kid think of what kind of example you'd be showing him". My uncle realizing that he was getting too angry said "the kind of example that doesn't put up with dick heads" and gets back into our car and we drive off. It was the funniest shit I've ever seen. Well except the incident where my uncle and I were golfing behind a giant group and some guys behind us decided they were not gonna wait and one guy Teed off and the ball hit our cart. You can imagine how that went. xD

Today, in front of my dashcam:

That traffic light looks a lot like red to me.

No braking, no speeding up...
Last month I was behind a guy who did the same thing, a full 2 seconds after the light went red AND the car on his left had stopped at the same light a second earlier. Unfortunately 2 seconds was enough time for a BMW to rightly go south through the intersection and get T-boned :-(

Moral of the story: look left and right not just when crossing the road on foot, but also when crossing a lighted intersection in your car.

Last month I was behind a guy who did the same thing, a full 2 seconds after the light went red AND the car on his left had stopped at the same light a second earlier. Unfortunately 2 seconds was enough time for a BMW to rightly go south through the intersection and get T-boned :-(

Moral of the story: look left and right not just when crossing the road on foot, but also when crossing a lighted intersection in your car.

Actually, my mother lost her beloved Beetle (about thirty years ago) because a Mercedes crossed a red light. And the best thing is, the insurance claimed it was joint guilt because "you can't just assume that everybody stops at a red light", wtf?

Last edited: