Stupid Driver Stories

^ *points and laughs*
mine gets nothing even if I add on "Mass license plate" to the end.

My license plate produced one hit on Google images. This guy. I shall call him squishy.
https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/08/07/in_office_HRN.JPG

Last edited:
https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/08/08/parkering_samarkand.jpg

I have a real nice one for you today. Actually it was an incident worthy of filming and putting on the internet. But sadly I neither had the camera with me, nor did I foresee the development of the situation.

Just outside town we have a four-way crossing with lights, which is heavily frequented, since it's connecting two of the major roads going in and out of town.

So I came to that crossing and wanted to turn left and stopped at the red light. I was the first car and had a perfect view on the opposite side. While I waited, I saw that an elderly driver of an E-Class Mercedes, who stopped at the opposite left turn lane, obviously changed his mind and wanted to go straight ahead instead.

So he inched his way over to the other lane, forcing himself in front of the first car there, which wasn't able to back up. The E-Class therefore stood on two lanes at the same time at a 45 degree angle, waiting for the green light.

While I was still having red, the opposite side got green.

Only the Mercedes didn't move. Obviously he had inched his way so much forward, that he couldn't spot the lights anymore.

Then the honking began.

First the car behind him, then another, and another, and finally a bus that was on 4th position.

The Mercedes did not move.

The honking went louder and more furious and the bus driver was making wild gestures.

Now, the phases on that crossing are particularly long -- about 1 minute for each direction. So there was 1 minute of constant honking.

But the Mercedes driver did not move.

Finally the light turned red again for them and I was getting green. I was accelerating carefully, just in case the Mercedes driver decided to step on the accelerator now. But he didn't.

Before I left the crossing behind, I saw a red-faced bus driver jump out of his bus, running to the Mercedes, and starting to yell at the driver.

Unfortunately I missed the ending of this drama but I want to believe they made him move at the next green phase 2 minutes later ;)

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/08/08/parkering_samarkand.jpg

Actually that's a common sight at our supermarket around the corner here, because the parking lots there are a bit lopsided and many drivers forget to pull their handbrake and leave the car with the gearbox in neutral.

So you often hear announcements via the speaker system of the supermarket: "Would the driver of the green Twingo with the license number xxxxxxxx please go to her car? It's blocking the way."

The guy at the microphone always assumes it's a woman -- and remarkably he is right in most cases.

P.S.: When I google my license plate, I get the following three results first (in that order):

http://www.daad.de/deutschland/hoch...6543.en.html?module=Hochschule&do=show&id=483
http://books.google.de/books?id=z2d...esult&ct=result&resnum=3#v=onepage&q=&f=false
http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a366912.html

WTF???? :blink:

Last edited:
Got one from a couple of days ago. If you look at the picture traveling east you have two off ramps one after the other. One of them goes to a small parking area that is later connected to the off ramp for the actual exit. So one idiot went to the first off ramp thinking it goes to the exit, realizing that it was a parking area, instead of doing the smart thing and keep going (even if he didn't know they were connected it would be logical to assume that there would be a way to get back on the highway on the other side of the parking area) decided to try and get back on the highway from the off ramp. Problem with that course of action was that the off ramp was kind of over so the first driver stopped half way into the right lane and half into off ramp. To make matters worse the driver in front of me stopped completely instead of just going around the guy. At that point there was no way I could have possibly stopped in time to not hit the car. So I did the only possible thing I could have, which was get on the off ramp for the parking area and be on my merry way.

Funnier part of the story is my g/f's reaction. She asked me to take her to the bank and there is one in the shopping plaza but we needed to go to a different branch because they have new ATM's that scan your money and make it available instantly. Following conversation takes place:
Her: "you remember we going to the other bank right?"
Me: "yes but we still have to take this exist"
Her: "oh, so you just wanted to overtake the guy in front of us?"
Me : "No babe... I wanted to not crash my car because there is no way I would be able to stop in time"
Her: "Oh? Really? Well good job then :D"

Mind you she gives me a hard time for going "fast" but she doesn't understand the limitations of the car to understand when I'm going too fast and when I'm not. (for the record I was going around 55 in a 50 at the time this happened).

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...6892,-74.003354&spn=0.00198,0.004823&t=k&z=18

I have a real nice one for you today. Actually it was an incident worthy of filming and putting on the internet. But sadly I neither had the camera with me, nor did I foresee the development of the situation.

Just outside town we have a four-way crossing with lights, which is heavily frequented, since it's connecting two of the major roads going in and out of town.

So I came to that crossing and wanted to turn left and stopped at the red light. I was the first car and had a perfect view on the opposite side. While I waited, I saw that an elderly driver of an E-Class Mercedes, who stopped at the opposite left turn lane, obviously changed his mind and wanted to go straight ahead instead.

So he inched his way over to the other lane, forcing himself in front of the first car there, which wasn't able to back up. The E-Class therefore stood on two lanes at the same time at a 45 degree angle, waiting for the green light.

While I was still having red, the opposite side got green.

Only the Mercedes didn't move. Obviously he had inched his way so much forward, that he couldn't spot the lights anymore.

Then the honking began.

First the car behind him, then another, and another, and finally a bus that was on 4th position.

The honking went louder and more furious and the bus driver was making wild gestures.

Now, the phases on that crossing are particularly long -- about 1 minute for each direction. So there was 1 minute of constant honking.

But the Mercedes driver did not move.

Finally the light turned red again for them and I was getting green. I was accelerating carefully, just in case the Mercedes driver decided to step on the accelerator now. But he didn't.

Before I left the crossing behind, I saw a red-faced bus driver jump out of his bus, running to the Mercedes, and starting to yell at the driver.

Unfortunately I missed the ending of this drama but I want to believe they made him move at the next green phase 2 minutes later ;)

Something like that happened to me 4 years ago. The driver in front of me in a four-way crossing with lights didn't start moving when the lights turned green and since the road was narrowed by tall cement blocks noone could overtake the first car. Everyone start honking and the car didn't move. Since I was the first car right behind it, I got out and walked to the unmovable car in front of me. The driver was having an heart-attack, that's why he didn't move. I called the emergency and, in the end, the poor guy did make it, fortunately. The guy from the emergency told me if a couple more minutes have passed, the fellow would have died.

Something like that happened to me 4 years ago. The driver in front of me in a four-way crossing with lights didn't start moving when the lights turned green and since the road was narrowed by tall cement blocks noone could overtake the first car. Everyone start honking and the car didn't move. Since I was the first car right behind it, I got out and walked to the unmovable car in front of me. The driver was having an heart-attack, that's why he didn't move. I called the emergency and, in the end, the poor guy did make it, fortunately. The guy from the emergency told me if a couple more minutes have passed, the fellow would have died.

I'm sure the guy in the Mercedes didn't have a heart attack, mainly because his wife sat next to him and because he was looking around what all the honking was about.

I've got a silly one from a few days ago.

Heavy traffic is diverted through our city on certain streets, and this happened recently, on one of those streets, which has the two ways separated by a strip of grass, flowers and kerbing. The downhill run is only one lane wide, because it was added only 2-3 years ago.

Well, that downhill run was closed because of severe damage to manhole covers, and they have to be dug up and re-concreted into place. Traffic that is supposed to go down there is diverted via a detour. The uphill run has two lanes.

And while I was walking up the sidewalk there at noon about 4 days ago, I see a tiny dark green SUV driving down the street... going the wrong way. Drivers are flashing their lights and trying to avoid that car; it pulls up in a parking lot half-way down, tries to do a three-point turn but turns around in something like 10 moves, and then drives up to take the proper route.

Looked at the driver. And, predictably... it was a girl, and she was blonde. :| It's cases like these that enforce the stereotypes. :lol:

You wouldn't believe the number of drivers i've seen go the wrong way down streets in Bristol. However, that's because the council have arranged the streets to prevent people taking short cuts through residential streets, so people just ignore it.

All right. Meet one of the most prideful stupid ass***** around here.

I was entering a roundabout. I was on the leftmost lane (three total) and I wanted to take the third exit. Nothing wrong with it, I think.

Beside me, on the center lane, while we were both await our turn to enter the roundabout, was a 40yo man on a maxiscooter (if you don't know what they are, you are lucky). When the road is free, we both start. I take the inner part of the roundabout, while he starts cutting me off (probably he was fearing to fell down the vehicle if he stayed in his part of the road... who knows?). I honked at him, he finally noticed me, then we almost went to a stop: him to avoid falling off the bike, me to avoid crushing him. Then he turned at me and told me I wasn't able to drive. I answered him that he wasn't able to make a bend on a bike. He made a gesture to tell me to f**k off, and turned away. I am a bit nervous in these days, so I told him more or less the same thing, while honking. We were still in the roundabout, where the last exit before the one we both wanted to take. He made another gesture: me too, and then he decided to stop, blocking my way and let everyone else pass, including people who hadn't right of way. I started honking seriously, knowing that the sound would be annoying for him, and I eventually uttered him several very bad considerations about him. 40 seconds passed this way, then he finally decided to leave.

What a ******

But the worst thing of them all is, now I regret to have let my rage taking me over. I'm just happy that it wan't uncontrolled, and that I always knew that doing stupid things with my car was not an option in any way.

^aren't that standard roadmanners in Italy though?

I can't count how many times I got yelled at in Milan when I was there. Also everyone on a scooter just expects you to get out of their way, and bang on your window if you don't...
Never been so scared, it was like having a huge near-accident that lasted for hours.

Motorbike riders who come from behind with more than twice what the speed limit allows and then accusing car drivers of not paying attention, when they are overlooked.

P.S.: I really enjoy those videos of motorbike accidents on YouTube. I suppose there is no more undignified way to die, than crashing with a tumbling motorbike, all hands and legs waggling like a puppet with its strings cut loose after trying to be soooo cool before.

P.P.S.: That was irony.

Last edited:
^aren't that standard roadmanners in Italy though?

I can't count how many times I got yelled at in Milan when I was there. Also everyone on a scooter just expects you to get out of their way, and bang on your window if you don't...
Never been so scared, it was like having a huge near-accident that lasted for hours.

Actually, not exactly...

Standard roadmanners includes scooters and maxiscooters acting like crazy, than being honked for some terryfing move and then going away either without turn their head or with a mild "go to hell" gesture. Sometimes they even raise their hand to tell they're sorry... !!!

This one was much more aggressive. But 40yo men on maxiscooter often are the worst as****es of them all (otherwise they would have a proper bike, or a car, or a simple scooter, not that stupid lump of bad-handling, cumbersome mix of steel and plastic, only bought to show how cool they think they are). I should have known.

I had to concentrate on avoiding a certain random Prius last night. It seemed to be driven by a clueless female, who braked every five seconds on an empty road, albeit with some plastic cones about due to finished roadworks. She also couldn't figure that if the three lanes go in a twisting fashion, you follow the markings and not go straight on; I had to speed up numerous times to keep her from my rear bumper.

Today I was annoyed by a Carina II going 80 the entire 15 kilometres of a 100 zone in front of me, and I had no spot to go and overtake (yes, I have no power), but that's common.

We have a heap of roadworks going on in my area (as there is a major "homemakers centre" opening with an officeworks- win! and stuff going in there) to widen the roads. So many people freak out about the "slow" signs and the fact that the barriers are really close to their cars and stop suddenly, which slows the entire thing down for ages. And the worst thing about it is that you can't tell which days are going to be good or bad (i.e. whether it is going to take 2 or 20 minutes to get through there) and the alternate routes add 15 mins to my 30min drive anyway. People who can't navigate small lanes should not be allowed to have massive SUV's and 4x4's, let alone be allowed a licence.

Also, had an idiot stop in fron of me today and try to turn into a pedestrian crossing, as in turning into the bit of the kerb where the concrete dips so you can get wheelchairs and stuff over it. This was even though it:

a) was painted bright yellow as a warning to not drive onto it
b) had a set of traffic light right in the middle of the "entrance"
c) had about 1 metre of concrete before it became grass.

He then proceeded to go straight ahead through a "left turn only" lane at the roundabout, cut me off and did 30 in a 60 zone. Moron.

I use to live in Italy (not far from Sir Edward in Padova). I moved there from here in the US and I actually loved it there. People drive fast and don't put up with people's sh*t. This is me to a "T". To me if you get yelled at you are most likely at fault. Every now and then you will have some dumbasses that have no clue what is going on.

I do remember riding with my fiance's father for the first time though...he is crazy. I remember we were late for school (I am 27 and late for my class to learn Italian and teach English) and we were at a traffic light with about 10 cars infront of us. Her father decides this is not acceptable and starts swearing and yelling, and decides that he is going to drive into oncoming traffic and run the red light to save time. A few lights up the same thing happens again and he decides to use the sidewalk (where people just moved out of the way and had no reaction).

I use to live in Italy (not far from Sir Edward in Padova). I moved there from here in the US and I actually loved it there. People drive fast and don't put up with people's sh*t. This is me to a "T". To me if you get yelled at you are most likely at fault. Every now and then you will have some dumbasses that have no clue what is going on.

That's more or less my philosophy: I normally only honk just after some real danger. If there's no danger, just let go and find your way through (and use lights to communicate, if you want), if there is danger, just use your hands on the steering wheel first.

However, many people yell just because they have been honked; pride is a very bad friend.

I do remember riding with my fiance's father for the first time though...he is crazy. I remember we were late for school (I am 27 and late for my class to learn Italian and teach English) and we were at a traffic light with about 10 cars infront of us. Her father decides this is not acceptable and starts swearing and yelling, and decides that he is going to drive into oncoming traffic and run the red light to save time. A few lights up the same thing happens again and he decides to use the sidewalk (where people just moved out of the way and had no reaction).

:shock::shock:

Wow... I never saw something like this... Yes, I remember many scooters going the wrong way on the opposite lane (just as they were in Britain) to overtake a line of cars, and waving their hands to tell ME to get off the way...

But driving on sidewalks is just insane.

Last edited: