Stupid Driver Stories

Aha. Only white lines here now. We had yellow lines when we drove on the wrong side of the road in the dark ages (<1967).

Last edited:
The cyclist one was the worst, and that was really dangerous, but I won't say it was completely her fault. If you look at the footage in the seconds before, you can clearly see the cyclists starting to turn into the road to the right and then changing his/her mind and going back to your road just in front of the SUV. The SUV lady should have stepped on the brake hardly and leave the bycicle resume her road, that would have been the safest way, while she stepped lightly on the brake, and squeezed the SUV between the cyclist and the Golf, but the cyclist did a lot to create the danger.

Lane changing, as long as indicators are used correctly and no danger is created, is legal, in my opinion.

Well, the general motivation behind her driving -- changing lanes all the time, trying to overtake on the right -- obviously was to get ahead as fast as possible, which is incredibly stupid but typical for people in a hurry ;)

But even with most of her brains switched off she should have been able to realize three facts:

Firstly on a Saturday around noon the town is full of traffic and you cannot save any time anyhow, no matter how aggressively you drive.
Secondly the traffic lights are all connected, so you can only get them all during the green phase, when you drive around 50 km/h.
And thirdly that particular street is unpredictable, because cars can brake and turn off from the left or the right lane, thus getting you stuck behind them, with no chance of getting by. That's what happened to the lady in the end, btw., before I passed her.

Constantly changing lanes on that specific street is unbelievably stupid and dangerous, because just after you changed the lane, the car in front of you could brake to turn off. So the right tactic there is to keep your lane and maintain a steady distance to the car in front of you.

Most drivers, who drive down that street, know that and drive accordingly.

^This. Here a road with 4 lanes divided by hashed lines all of the same color is a one way street. We also wouldn't have a hashed line (which indicates passing is allowed) between lanes of opposite direction in that situation at all because you wouldn't go into the opposing direction's lane to overtake when the lanes are like that.

To be honest, this particular street is not representative. Usually the two directions are separated by double white lines in Germany. You will not often encounter such roads here but it still works just fine, if drivers use their brains.

Here white markers mean that all lanes are moving in the same direction, to separate lanes moving in opposite directions we use yellow/orange.

we should get a pattern like that as well i think, yellow/orange is already used for temp markings during roadworks though...

You count that as being cut of in germany? That is called normal traffic here. Look they used a directional, and speed up afterwards! That would be very polite on roads here.

Today I was infact cut off while going 60+ KPH

By a UPS truck, taking a left turn.:lol:

That doesn't even warrant using a horn here.

Well, UPS drivers fall into the same category as taxi drivers: Psychopaths. What annoys me most of them, is that they park their vehicles at the most impossible spots, where they're holding up the traffic or force people into dangerous overtakes. Seems like parking somewhere save and walking 20 meters or so to deliver their package is out of the question.

Last edited:
since they can get out on the right side I pass them so close they can probably feel the wind from the car :lol:

I actually cheered, when they closed up our whole pedestrian area for delivering vehicles :) Now they have to park their trucks at a certain place at the beginning of the shopping zone and then use a hand cart to deliver their packages to the shops by foot. Sometimes they have to go two or three times. Yay :D

I also like the attitude of UPS van drivers/taxis in that they do not care one little bit that they are holding up HUNDREDS of cars. When you honk at them they don't even notice.

Also, those UPS vans are really a combination of DTM cars and tanks. They can corner SO fast, and run into things without any damage whatsoever...

Since we're usually making fun of americans who can't drive and drive through stores or over cars or flip their trucks whenever the road is not perfectly straight I thought we should this time watch some european driving. Mostly eastern european driving actually. :p

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yURZTpiqShk[/YOUTUBE]

Since we're usually making fun of americans who can't drive and drive through stores or over cars or flip their trucks whenever the road is not perfectly straight I thought we should this time watch some european driving. Mostly eastern european driving actually. :p

Some of them are utter criminals.

I also like the attitude of UPS van drivers/taxis in that they do not care one little bit that they are holding up HUNDREDS of cars. When you honk at them they don't even notice.

Also, those UPS vans are really a combination of DTM cars and tanks. They can corner SO fast, and run into things without any damage whatsoever...

You see this is not an issue here, because they speed like everyone else. Much more likely to get stuck behind a camry.

Not available in my country? Wha?

It's not only Eastern Europeans. The legendary discipline of German drivers has also started to suffer greatly -- though it still might be much higher than anywhere else.

Those folks ignoring the redlights remind me of countless situations I witnessed in the past months. I almost had a crash like that with an E-Class Coup? and a woman in a Polo (I think) I think I wrote about it earlier in this thread.

Well, the general motivation behind her driving -- changing lanes all the time, trying to overtake on the right -- obviously was to get ahead as fast as possible, which is incredibly stupid but typical for people in a hurry ;)

But even with most of her brains switched off she should have been able to realize three facts:

Firstly on a Saturday around noon the town is full of traffic and you cannot save any time anyhow, no matter how aggressively you drive.
Secondly the traffic lights are all connected, so you can only get them all during the green phase, when you drive around 50 km/h.
And thirdly that particular street is unpredictable, because cars can brake and turn off from the left or the right lane, thus getting you stuck behind them, with no chance of getting by. That's what happened to the lady in the end, btw., before I passed her.

Constantly changing lanes on that specific street is unbelievably stupid and dangerous, because just after you changed the lane, the car in front of you could brake to turn off. So the right tactic there is to keep your lane and maintain a steady distance to the car in front of you.

Most drivers, who drive down that street, know that and drive accordingly.
I drive on a street like this from time to time and driving properly (which is aggressively) will absolutely get you there faster by a noticeable margin, but it requires some very specific skills in reading traffic and being an asshole ;)

Does this mean we can officially call you a "skilled asshole" now? ;)

You can say that about most people in this area who are not yet dead :lol:

Well, UPS drivers fall into the same category as taxi drivers: Psychopaths. What annoys me most of them, is that they park their vehicles at the most impossible spots, where they're holding up the traffic or force people into dangerous overtakes. Seems like parking somewhere save and walking 20 meters or so to deliver their package is out of the question.

So true. I love it when they park at the top of a hill or apex of a turn, forcing a blind overtake :wall:

Does this mean we can officially call you a "skilled asshole" now? ;)

Well I do drive an Audi so you can call me a cock :D
You can say that about most people in this area who are not yet dead
There is some truth to it, you gotta have a certain level of skill to not get into accidents and a certain level of asshole in order to get where you are going in a reasonable amount of time.

Last edited: