Stupid Driver Stories

You can't even tell if he's stopped from the picture, could be slowing down. L plate upside-down is a bit funny though.

I'm developing a bit of a hair trigger when it comes to honking at people braking for no reason at the local roundabout. Admittedly if it's icy or something I might not care so much, but sometimes you can just tell they're going to stop to let someone in and need a reminder that no, this is not the way we do things.

The latest guy was a Corolla which I knew was going to give problems because he was driving very slowly and just inched his way towards intersections. As soon as he got on the brakes I honked at him, and it actually worked.

^Strangely in tune with my own recent experience. I was driving on a highway the other day (50mph speed limit) in the left lane. In a certain part there is a refueling station that you get in and out from/to the left lane. This is fine as they have a fairly long run up and the station is in a place with high visibility so its very easy to merge in w/o interfering with traffic. So there I was in the left going about 45 or so (there were enough cars on the road to slow traffic down a bit but it was starting to clear up in that area) when the guy in front of me decides that what he has to do is STOP and let people exiting the station get out. A few cars merged right in front of me so he was a bit of a surprise. So I slam on the brakes but I'm pretty sure I can't stop in time so I decided to take my chances and just go around him in the middle lane. Lucky for me there were no cars because I didn't exactly have time for a proper merge. When I went past I looked at the rear view and the car on the on ramp was in no way impeding that MORON.

Sometimes when people try to be "polite" it's just completely counter productive. Sometimes, being selfish gets both you and the other drivers home faster.

If people could just follow the rules.. But no.

In my opinion, everybody should have to take a new driving test every 5 years - just to make sure they've not turned into idiot since last time.

In my opinion, everybody should have to take a new driving test every 5 years - just to make sure they've not turned into idiot since last time.

but everybody would just fail every single time?

More like a funny story..
In my family we have a 2004 Ford Mondeo in black. The same car and color the police likes to use here in Denmark :D
So when (not that it happens alot with the way my dad drives and all the other danish people drives) someone overtakes us with high speed my dad likes to speed up and get a little closer to them. Mostly to see them slow down IMEDIALY because they think we are the police :lol:
Then one day it happened to be a peroson living on allmost the same street as us :D It was a very young guy and he went from doing like 30kph more than what was alowed to drive like a driving instructor showing his student how to drive without breaking tha law all the way home. I think he was about to get a heath attack because if we where the police he would have lost he's license :mrgreen:

but everybody would just fail every single time?

Actually retaking your driving test after you reached a certain age would make perfect sense because there are only a few people who will give up driving willingly because they know they aren't cut out for it anymore.

Here in Denmark you do have to go see a doctor and take a test when you've reached a certain age.. I can't quite remember how old you have to be, 70 or something like that.

I just think it should apply to everybody.. And if not a practical driving test, then at least a theoretical test, to brush up the laws.

Sometimes when people try to be "polite" it's just completely counter productive. Sometimes, being selfish gets both you and the other drivers home faster.

If people could just follow the rules.. But no.

I think the problem is less to do with being polite and more to do with the right place and the right time. Letting someone take a parking spot is fine. Allowing a little more time for an old lady to take off from a red light before honking at her is OK as well.

I think most of the time people don't realize that most traffic laws (aside from speed limits) are there for a reason.

I think the problem is less to do with being polite and more to do with the right place and the right time. Letting someone take a parking spot is fine. Allowing a little more time for an old lady to take off from a red light before honking at her is OK as well.

I think most of the time people don't realize that most traffic laws (aside from speed limits) are there for a reason.

It's because the most visible traffic law (the one they stick a sign in your face every 2 miles about) is the stupid Interstate speed limit, which is made of complete and utter donkeyballs, lies, and revenue streams (and a very tiny part the safety of people who don't know how to drive properly anyway).

Right, all speed limits are donkeyballs. So let's just ignore them and drive as fast as we want, shall we? And while we're at it, why not ignore other laws we don't like as well, and ignore them, too, huh? Let's make our own laws. After all, we live in free countries, right? :rolleyes:

Right, all speed limits are donkeyballs. So let's just ignore them and drive as fast as we want, shall we? And while we're at it, why not ignore other laws we don't like as well, and ignore them, too, huh? Let's make our own laws. After all, we live in free countries, right? :rolleyes:

I never said "all" speed limits. In fact I quite explicitly said "Interstate speed limit" which restricts it to a very select set of roads in a single country. There is absolutely zero reason for a blanket 65mph "speed limit" on a road where the 80th percentile speed is 75-80 during the day and 90+ at night.

I never said "all" speed limits.
You didn't, but prizrak did.

In fact I quite explicitly said "Interstate speed limit" which restricts it to a very select set of roads in a single country. There is absolutely zero reason for a blanket 65mph "speed limit" on a road where the 80th percentile speed is 75-80 during the day and 90+ at night.
Yes, you are correct, there likely is no reason to have such speed limits on these roads. But they are there. If you deem that to be wrong, write to your local authorities. Breaking the limits is no solution, just like ignoring every other law you don't accept for whatever reason is no solution. And don't whine when you get caught, since you were aware of the local speed limit. You choose to break it, you live with it.

My apologies, had to vent. This "speedlimits are stupid" talk just makes me mad. Just stick to them (within reason, not by the figure), it won't kill you. And the few minutes you safe by not doing so (given you save time at all) won't make you a millionaire either.

Greetings to the person in the Volvo SUV that needed six (!) moves to move out of the parking space at the local supermarket because he or she didn't realize that the car is actually just under 5 metres long, not 7.

Got cut off by a Yukon in our ES350 yesterday... while doing a 120 km/h. If it wasn't for ABS we would have smashed into the back - also very lucky there wasn't any traffic on the right so dad just swerved out of the way. Middle East drivers... you get used to it eventually. :/

Yes, you are correct, there likely is no reason to have such speed limits on these roads. But they are there. If you deem that to be wrong, write to your local authorities.

Ah if only it worked that way. These limits are regulated at a state level and heavily influenced at a federal level, are hugely political and staunchly defended by the people who think nobody should own a car and should live in the city and walk everywhere camp and are totally outside the means of any grassroots lobbying to get changed. Not to mention that the federal government will not grant funding to pay for the road if it's got a signed speed limit above 75 (this used to be *55*) so in an overwhelming majority (by miles) of cases it's IMPOSSIBLE to raise the speed limit to match actual throughput speeds without major political action.

My apologies, had to vent. This "speedlimits are stupid" talk just makes me mad.

I totally understand, and that bunch annoys me to no end as well. Speed limits make sense on occasion, despite the fact that they're mostly used for all the wrong reasons and done incorrectly.

And the few minutes you safe by not doing so (given you save time at all) won't make you a millionaire either.

My record single-trip time savings involves making it on time despite a two hours delayed departure.