Stupid Driver Stories

You didn't, but prizrak did.
Actually I did not give a quantity of speed limits. I do think that speed limits (all speed limits) are only there for revenue generation.
Few examples, NJ Turnpike 55-65 (variable speed limit) no one ever goes below 80. The road is 7 lanes in each direction 4 lanes for cars only and 3 lanes for mixed traffic.

In the city the speed limit is 30. Most people do 20-25 on residential streets and 40-45 on major roads (two-three lanes but with traffic lights).

Point is that people drive at the speed their comfortable with be it over or under the limit. I have seen plenty people go 60+ on residential roads while running red lights and stop signs and plenty of people going 40-45 on roads with a 55-60 limits in the left lane at that.

Yes, you are correct, there likely is no reason to have such speed limits on these roads. But they are there. If you deem that to be wrong, write to your local authorities. Breaking the limits is no solution, just like ignoring every other law you don't accept for whatever reason is no solution. And don't whine when you get caught, since you were aware of the local speed limit. You choose to break it, you live with it.

My apologies, had to vent. This "speedlimits are stupid" talk just makes me mad. Just stick to them (within reason, not by the figure), it won't kill you. And the few minutes you safe by not doing so (given you save time at all) won't make you a millionaire either.

The reason is revenue generation. And yes I absolutely ignore every single law that I do not agree with.

There are millions of laws on the books that you break every single day that you are not aware of, but they make no sense so they are not enforced. As an example I read about a law in VA (IIRC) that says that a woman is not allowed to drive unless there is a man with a lantern in front of the car warning people of it. There is a huge number of examples of such laws in all countries. Mind you I'm talking about laws that are on the books but not enforced not ones that have been taken off the books.

Last edited:
Actually I did not give a quantity of speed limits. I do think that speed limits (all speed limits) are only there for revenue generation.
Few examples, NJ Turnpike 55-65 (variable speed limit) no one ever goes below 80. The road is 7 lanes in each direction 4 lanes for cars only and 3 lanes for mixed traffic.

In the city the speed limit is 30. Most people do 20-25 on residential streets and 40-45 on major roads (two-three lanes but with traffic lights).

Point is that people drive at the speed their comfortable with be it over or under the limit. I have seen plenty people go 60+ on residential roads while running red lights and stop signs and plenty of people going 40-45 on roads with a 55-60 limits in the left lane at that.
Well, technically, speed limits should be variable and adapt to the individual situation, I give you that. But they aren't. They are set, and mostly set rather low than high to make sure even the worst driver with the weakest car is not going to crash (at least not because of a too-high speed limit). You got yourself a drivers license, thus you agreed to stick to those speed limits. The enforcement of said limits is pretty weak already, so you can mostly exceed them by quite a margin. Nonetheless, you are aware they exist, and you deliberately ignore them. Thus, I do not feel the slightest bit sorry if you get caught. In fact, I do hope you get caught, because I think people like you don't belong on the streets. Enjoy! :)

The reason is revenue generation. And yes I absolutely ignore every single law that I do not agree with.

There are millions of laws on the books that you break every single day that you are not aware of, but they make no sense so they are not enforced. As an example I read about a law in VA (IIRC) that says that a woman is not allowed to drive unless there is a man with a lantern in front of the car warning people of it. There is a huge number of examples of such laws in all countries. Mind you I'm talking about laws that are on the books but not enforced not ones that have been taken off the books.
You won't find such laws in Germany, simply because the German civil code is pretty young. Of course, there will also be a handful of stupid laws in there, but nothing ridiculous like what you described. And no, I don't stick to every law I come across. But I am aware that I break them, and I do accept the punishment when I get caught doing so.

Well, technically, speed limits should be variable and adapt to the individual situation, I give you that. But they aren't. They are set, and mostly set rather low than high to make sure even the worst driver with the weakest car is not going to crash (at least not because of a too-high speed limit). You got yourself a drivers license, thus you agreed to stick to those speed limits. The enforcement of said limits is pretty weak already, so you can mostly exceed them by quite a margin. Nonetheless, you are aware they exist, and you deliberately ignore them. Thus, I do not feel the slightest bit sorry if you get caught. In fact, I do hope you get caught, because I think people like you don't belong on the streets. Enjoy! :)
That's a hell of a judgement to make about someone you don't know....You are from Germany so you should be aware that going fast is very far from being dangerous. Just because I may exceed the limit by a certain margin (3am no traffic, why the fuck should I be going 50?) doesn't mean I don't belong on the street.

However people who stop in the middle of an intersection because the light changed to red while they were there already or someone going 40 in the middle lane (or worse stopping to let someone in) when the rest of the traffic is going 60-70 or plain running red lights at busy intersections w/o so much as slowing down (seen that plenty) are.

The enforcement is actually not weak here at all and I have been caught and I am taking full advantage of the system to fight stupid and pointless laws.
You won't find such laws in Germany, simply because the German civil code is pretty young. Of course, there will also be a handful of stupid laws in there, but nothing ridiculous like what you described. And no, I don't stick to every law I come across. But I am aware that I break them, and I do accept the punishment when I get caught doing so.
You may very well not be aware of certain pointless laws that are found in your country. I'm too lazy to do research at the moment but I'm sure there are some. If I am wrong then I envy you :)

EDIT: Also keep in mind that unlike your country our speed limits are retardedly low.

Last edited:

They're not.

They're there to prevent deaths.

Counterexample -- my wife's aunt (who is around 60, but is still very sharp) hit a deer on a highway in Michigan the other night. She was doing about the speed limit and she only barely managed to slow down in enough time to prevent the thing from coming over the hood and through the windshield. Had she been going, say, 95 instead of 65, the combination of reaction time, stopping distance of her car, etc. would've likely resulted in the whole family preparing for a funeral this week, not Christmas.

Stuff like this happens every minute of every day in North America.

How, in this case, is having a speed limit of 65 a "revenue generator"? I suppose you could be completely inhuman about it and say that government keeps speed limits at ~60 in rural areas so that you'll stay alive, so "they" can keep taxing you (whoever "they" is -- like they're from Mars or something).

The thing is, arguing that people should go the speed they feel comfortable with would be fine if most people were much better drivers than they are, and if most people had better cars than they do. A lot of Americans are poor -- have been for many years -- and can't afford a modern car with modern technology. We have a culture where people don't take care of their cars, don't care about their cars, don't take driving very seriously, and think of the car as a tool for accomplishing other thans, rather than an end unto itself.

Those people have to be taken into account; government serves all people, just not car enthusiasts. Personally, I'd rather that speed limits be considered "recommendations", and the only time that speed alone would count against you is when you commit another crime that interferes with someone else's freedom. i.e. If you want or need to go 120mph, go for it... just don't hit anything, otherwise we'll ding you hard. :p

Shamefully, I must confess my own, very embarrasing moment. Two weeks ago on a family holiday, we drove into Melbourne, a city none of us are familiar with. The satnav, despite being set to motorway preference, routed us straight through the centre of Melbourne. Queen St, if that is meaningful to anyone. For those who don't know, Melbourne is full of trams and the streets are quite narrow, and as a New South Welsh, driving through it can be rather daunting. So its bad enough with a car, but..... we were towing a caravan.

Funny thing was, as we were approaching, we had exited the motorway where the satnav told us to, and before we realised what the satnav was doing, a policeman pulled up along side at the lights, and I wondered why he was looking at us as though we were the biggest tourist retards he had ever seen.

So if anyone was in Melbourne two weeks ago and wondered why some gits in a Commodore wagon had drove up Queen St with a caravan, it was the satnav. Sorry.

Speed limit is a revenue generator in the sense that a very large number of people ignores it and it is extremely easy to make money off the fines.
The thing is, arguing that people should go the speed they feel comfortable with would be fine if most people were much better drivers than they are, and if most people had better cars than they do. A lot of Americans are poor -- have been for many years -- and can't afford a modern car with modern technology. We have a culture where people don't take care of their cars, don't care about their cars, don't take driving very seriously, and think of the car as a tool for accomplishing other thans, rather than an end unto itself.

Those people have to be taken into account; government serves all people, just not car enthusiasts.
You answered the above with the below
Personally, I'd rather that speed limits be considered "recommendations", and the only time that speed alone would count against you is when you commit another crime that interferes with someone else's freedom. i.e. If you want or need to go 120mph, go for it... just don't hit anything, otherwise we'll ding you hard. :p
My biggest beef is that really the only thing that is enforced is speed limits. I see cruisers hiding in the bushes or on overpasses, around corners, on on ramps just to issue people tickets. I almost never see them patrolling the roads to stop those who are actually being dangerous. Cutting people off, switching lanes for no reason, not using indicators, braking in the middle of a completely empty highway (happens ALOT), not staying in their lanes, pulling out in front of much faster traffic, etc... all of those are dangerous behaviors and are hard to enforce so they don't bother. Speed limits on the other hand....

I would like to see a "premium"/"elite"/"high performance driver" license -- for people who ARE good, responsible drivers, who know how to control a vehicle, who do maintain their cars. (What does modern technology have to do with it?). Perhaps these drivers should have to pass a high performance driving test, track time, etc. Such a skilled driver would NOT be weaving in and out of traffic at 120 mph or driving a 4wd SUV 100 mph in snow conditions. These would be for responsible drivers with an impeccable driving record and well maintained above-average cars.

I picture something like the HOV lane, but only for performance cars with skilled drivers.

Of course, such a despised minority would never get such privileges.

But yes you're right -- in general Americans don't love driving and don't have the discipline the Germans for example do. Too busy eating big macs and texting and watching DVDs.

That's a hell of a judgement to make about someone you don't know....You are from Germany so you should be aware that going fast is very far from being dangerous. Just because I may exceed the limit by a certain margin (3am no traffic, why the fuck should I be going 50?) doesn't mean I don't belong on the street.
It is a hell of a judgement to make, but then, there are only very few groups of people I have less respect for than those who deliberately speed. I don't expect anyone to stick to the limit by the mile, but one should have least have something of an eye for how much one can "bend" the limit.

Why a speed limit of 50 at 3am makes sense? Because it's dark, so you can't see as much and as far as with daylight. And people wandering around at 3am might be batshit drunk and thus just tumble over the street right in front of you. Also, since neither you nor an innocent pedestrian will reckon on meeting anyone out there at night, you as well as (s)he might overlook the other party and cause a crash. The fact that there's much less crowd around at night doesn't make the street safer.

However people who stop in the middle of an intersection because the light changed to red while they were there already or someone going 40 in the middle lane (or worse stopping to let someone in) when the rest of the traffic is going 60-70 or plain running red lights at busy intersections w/o so much as slowing down (seen that plenty) are.
Yes, they are. But how does the fact that other people are idiots somehow make you think that you have the right to act like one, too?

The enforcement is actually not weak here at all and I have been caught and I am taking full advantage of the system to fight stupid and pointless laws.
So you do not only choose to deliberately break the law, you also clog up the judiciary with totally unnecessary actions.

You may very well not be aware of certain pointless laws that are found in your country. I'm too lazy to do research at the moment but I'm sure there are some. If I am wrong then I envy you :)
Like I said, I'm sure there are some. Since the German laws basically are only 60 years old however, you won't find too much drivel in there.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that unlike your country our speed limits are retardedly low.
And what makes you think ours aren't? Here's the classical set of speed limits in Germany (in mph):

play streets: 4 mph
residental streets: 19 mph
larger innercity streets: 31 mph
outside the citys: 44 to 63 mph
Autobahn: when limited mostly between 63 and 75 mph, sometimes 50 mph, sometimes unlimited. Almost 50% of the Autbahn is already limited though.

Speed limit is a revenue generator in the sense that a very large number of people ignores it and it is extremely easy to make money off the fines.
Sorry, but step back, think for a second and read this sentence again. A very large number of people ignores speed limits. The government occasionally chooses to check whether people obey or break the limits, and an even smaller number of those who are checked are actually fined for breaking it. In what possible way is something people deliberately do false revenue generation?

My biggest beef is that really the only thing that is enforced is speed limits. I see cruisers hiding in the bushes or on overpasses, around corners, on on ramps just to issue people tickets. I almost never see them patrolling the roads to stop those who are actually being dangerous. Cutting people off, switching lanes for no reason, not using indicators, braking in the middle of a completely empty highway (happens ALOT), not staying in their lanes, pulling out in front of much faster traffic, etc... all of those are dangerous behaviors and are hard to enforce so they don't bother. Speed limits on the other hand....
On that we very much agree. I too would like to see the cops enforce many other things than just speed limits. On the other hand, the police in Germany already does that, or at least has begun to do that.

Howsoever, my point still stands that noone has the right to complain if he or she is punished for knowingly breaking an effective law. You know the law, you chose to ignore it, you get punished. Simple as that.

Last edited:
It is a hell of a judgement to make, but then, there are only very few groups of people I have less respect for than those who deliberately speed. I don't expect anyone to stick to the limit by the mile, but one should have least have something of an eye for how much one can "bend" the limit.

Why a speed limit of 50 at 3am makes sense? Because it's dark, so you can't see as much and as far as with daylight. And people wandering around at 3am might be batshit drunk and thus just tumble over the street right in front of you. Also, since neither you nor an innocent pedestrian will reckon on meeting anyone out there at night, you as well as (s)he might overlook the other party and cause a crash. The fact that there's much less crowd around at night doesn't make the street safer.
So you are telling me that on a highway, that is separated from streets by barriers that would take some effort to climb, is extremely well lit (when I got this car I would forget to turn on headlights because its hard to see much of a difference), is very straight and with a road surface that is well maintained and no traffic going 50mph makes sense? I suggest you drive on the roads that I drive on and then make a judgement.
Yes, they are. But how does the fact that other people are idiots somehow make you think that you have the right to act like one, too?
Here the problem with your thinking, you are assuming that whatever speed I go at is dangerous.
So you do not only choose to deliberately break the law, you also clog up the judiciary with totally unnecessary actions.
I am taking action against unfair/stupid laws by using the judiciary system, you suggested doing that a few posts above... Also traffic court is different from regular court.
And what makes you think ours aren't? Here's the classical set of speed limits in Germany (in mph):

play streets: 4 mph
residental streets: 19 mph
larger innercity streets: 31 mph
outside the citys: 44 to 63 mph
Autobahn: when limited mostly between 63 and 75 mph, sometimes 50 mph, sometimes unlimited. Almost 50% of the Autbahn is already limited though.
Blanket speed limit in the city (NYC since thats the one I know) 30 mph a few streets are 15 or so. Most major highways 50 and below, they get to 65 further down the islang when you get out of the actual city limit.
Interstates are 55-65 for the most part 75mph roads are almost a godsend.

My point is that your government feels that it is perfectly safe to go the speed that you feel like going hence you have unrestricted roads, this suggests that speed may not be an issue.
Sorry, but step back, think for a second and read this sentence again. A very large number of people ignores speed limits. The government occasionally chooses to check whether people obey or break the limits, and an even smaller number of those who are checked are actually fined for breaking it. In what possible way is something people deliberately do false revenue generation?
It is very far from occasionally. There are many areas where police target speeders and there are also a lot of sneaky tactics used. Also just about everyone I know will pay their fines because they don't really understand how it affects their insurance and driving record.

Here is an example, I was stopped for breaking the limit. The highway I was on was the NJ Turnpike that I described above that has speed limit signs that are LED and can be changed between 55 and 65 (never seen less or more). It was early Sunday morning, few cars around it was sunny with "unlimited" visibility, there is no wildlife crossing in that area, speed limit was set at 55. To make it more interesting to get on the highway you go through a toll plaza. There are NO speed limit signs for a mile or two on that road, so basically the road has no limit as far as I am concerned. The first sign was on an overpass, with a police car parked on it with a radar gun tagging cars HEAD ON. The reason its important is because by the time I would see a sign and could theoretically adjust my speed accordingly I would already be tagged by the officer. The reason I know that is because I saw the cruiser start moving before I passed the overpass and I did slow down after it but was stopped anyway. If they are trying to keep the road safe why not tag people from behind? This way you can clearly see who is ignoring the speed limit and who isn't.

Add to that propensity to stop ONLY out of state vehicles on interstates. I have seen people with out of state plates get pulled over for going same speed as I even though they were behind me and I SHOULD be stopped logically. Reason for that is that points don't usually transfer between states (they do for insurance purposes but not license) and out of state is more likely to just pay the fine then fight it since it would require that the person show up for a hearing.

Anyway I am done with this discussion you will not understand me because you are under the [false] impression that speed limits, especially those imposed on highways, are there for anything other then political and "environmental" reasons.

Here is some reading for you on the history of US speed limits. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law
Can we please stop the bickering?
I wouldn't call it bickering but you are right this thread is not about speed limits and he will never see my point.

Anyway I am done with this discussion you will not understand me because you are under the [false] impression that speed limits, especially those imposed on highways, are there for anything other then political and "environmental" reasons.

(...)

I wouldn't call it bickering but you are right this thread is not about speed limits and he will never see my point.
Granted, let's continue this discussion at another time in another thread. So let me finally just say this: you misunderstand my motivation. I very much support people who think when piloting a vehicle. Yet, as opposed to you, I simply don't question speed limits. I don't care why they were put up. I see a sign with a number on it, I add my personal margin of what I (and the cops for that matter) deem okay, and I do that speed. Very simple and very cheap (since you don't get fined). And still, I have always arrived at my destination on time and without any problems. Therefore, I do not see the slightest point in speeding.

Last edited:
Granted, let's continue this discussion at another time in another thread. So let me finally just say this: you misunderstand my motivation. I very much support people who think when piloting a vehicle. Yet, as opposed to you, I simply don't question speed limits. I don't care why they were put up. I see a sign with a number on it, I add my personal margin of what I (and the cops for that matter) deem okay, and I do that speed. Very simple and very cheap (since you don't get fined). And still, I have always arrived at my destination on time and without any problems. Therefore, I do not see the slightest point in speeding.

I do the same thing as you I think we are only disagreeing about the margin.

Yet, as opposed to you, I simply don't question speed limits. I don't care why they were put up. I see a sign with a number on it, I add my personal margin of what I (and the cops for that matter) deem okay, and I do that speed. Very simple and very cheap (since you don't get fined).

This discussion is focused on the wrong thing, in my opinion.

The main reason why you don't question speed limits is because you have a functional and sensed set of speed limits. If you had speed limit crazyness, you would be reasoning as Prizrak does. I know because I am like Prizrak when I am home and like you when I am in Germany.

So I have a stupid driver story for a change. None that I experienced by myself, but which I read in the local newspaper. And it's just too good to not share it with you.
19-year-old wrecks foreign car and continues to party

Partying, meanwhile wrecking the car of the 17-year-old hostesses mother while under the influence of alcohol, and then just continuing to party - a task accomplished by a 19-year-old citizen last night. According to the police, the man was supposed to get something to eat from a nearby snack bar at 1 o'clock in the morning. To do so, the hostesse handed him the keys of her sleeping mothers Mazda 626. With three more guests of the party, the youngster pulled out into the night, but only made it a few signals down the road. There, the car first slid against a traffic light pole, then hit a large billboard. The police found the smashed up car abandoned on the crossing and soon after stumbled over the nearby party. The result of the sobriety test: the four confessing and unhurt passengers added up to more than 5 parts per thousand, the driver alone was in with a hefty 2.3 ppt. Additionally, he was stoned and not in posession of a driving license.
Whoooooops! :lol:

"Mooooooooooooooooooom? I gotta tell you something, please don't hit me ....". :rofl:

Last edited:
I'm all for speed limits, when they are there for a reason.

Example: There is an Autobahn entry/exit about 20 km from here, that lies in a sharp corner. That section of about 3 km in length is limited to 120 km/h, the only spot of speed-limited Autobahn on a stretch of about 100 km. Why? Because people who are driving rather slow, say 120-130 km/h, change to the left lane in the middle of said sharp corner, to let people onto the Autobahn. And since there is no way you can see that from a distance, people who come with, say, 200 km/h from behind despite not being able to see more than 200 m ahead, suddenly had an obstacle in front of them on the left lane and had to brake hard to prevent a terrible accident -- which is what actually happened, before they implemented the speed limit there.
That is a kind of speed limit I can understand and which I will respect and follow. In fact, I do slow down there to not more than 125 km/h or so.

Also there are many speed limits around here, because farmhouses lie directly at the road and people can pull out there at any given time. No problems following those, too.

What I cannot accept, though, is that for example the state of Bremen implemented a general speed limit of 120 km/h within its boundaries. How is that possible, you may ask, since there is no general speed limit in Germany on the Autobahns and the Autobahns fall under federal jurisdiction?
Answer: Because the state of Bremen is identical in size and boundaries with the city of Bremen and therefore the Autobahn technically goes through the city, which falls under local jurisdiction. And since Bremen has a coalition government with the Green Party in it, they implemented that speed limit out of ideology, not because of any safety consideration, to make the Green Party's voters happy.
What you have to know, is that the Autobahns through Bremen are in perfect condition. So what happens is this: You come to Bremen with 200 km/h, brake down to 120 km/h to drive on the same road under the same conditions through Bremen, then accelerate again after you're through.
The really funny thing, however, is: There is absolutely no enforcement there -- no speed cameras, no police controls (because they can't be bothered). Why even bother slowing down?
That is the kind of speed limit I refuse to follow and I always go there as fast as possible without risking my license.

Also I see no reason why to follow a certain speed limit, that is there for certain (temporary) conditions, for example children going to school. Why do I have to go 30 km/h at 5 o'clock on a Sunday morning there, when there are no school children? So I don't.

And then there are those speed limits, that are temporarily set up for roadworks -- only there are no roadworks. They put the signs there about a week or so, before they actually start working, to get the drivers used to the speed limit (!!!) and then wait another week or so, before they take the signs away again after they finished the roadworks. I see no reason to follow those speed limits, when there are no roadworks.

Last edited:
"Mooooooooooooooooooom? I gotta tell you something, please don't hit me ....". :rofl:

"Moooom, I'm pregnant and I'm going to move in with my boyfriend that you've never met and we are going to live together in another country... naaah kidding I only wrecked the car"

And then there are those speed limits, that are temporarily set up for roadworks -- only there are no roadworks. They put the signs there about a week or so, before they actually start working, to get the drivers used to the speed limit (!!!) and then wait another week or so, before they take the signs away again after they finished the roadworks. I see no reason to follow those speed limits, when there are no roadworks.

Oh how I hate those. About two months ago there was a new overhead sign installed on one of the dual lane country roads around here. They decreased the speed limit from 100 to 50 km/h which meant there where huge traffic jams between 5 and 7 pm when people where rushing home and there just wasn't any work done on the bloody sign. And then after they had finished what probably amounted to a few day's work they forgot to remove the speed limit for a month (!!!!). On another occasion I came across a perfect stretch of autobahn which suddenly had an 80 km/h speed limit because of "no markings" (like after the tarmac is laid) but the markings where there and neither they nor the tarmac looked all that new. Makes you wonder how long that sign had been up there...

a few weeks ago i came up to some red lights at roadworks...while no one working...and no car comming from the other direction...i ran the light...and heared a siren...

160? <_<

Around here there are 45 mph signs on a 65 mph road because of construction.... that happened two months ago.... 3 miles up the road. Further up the road, where there is a section where they apparently forgot to paint the lines (three lanes and no lines for about a month and running), there is no special speed limit.

Also, school zone speed limit signs around here generally only apply during school hours. There are two methods used to convey this: a light that flashes when the speed limit is in effect, or.... a small sign listing every day of the week and the times when the speed limit is in effect. GLHF reading that as you drive by to try to decide what the limit actually is.

Also, school zone speed limit signs around here generally only apply during school hours. There are two methods used to convey this: a light that flashes when the speed limit is in effect, or.... a small sign listing every day of the week and the times when the speed limit is in effect. GLHF reading that as you drive by to try to decide what the limit actually is.

The first method is legit. For the second... Well *cough* http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/ makes fascinating reading.

Funny you should mention this as recently they did this on a road that I take very often. There are signs for 35mph speed limit because of roadworks yet there is no work being done. What's funnier is further down the road it says that lanes narrow, but they don't...

Speaking of lanes, why the hell do people have trouble staying in their lane? I was driving to pick up my g/f's parents from the airport and this limo guy in front me kept straying over to my lane. I gave him some space figuring that if he's an idiot I might as well let him go in even w/o indicators on but he just kept going straight....