Stupid Driver Stories

I think there is some leeway nowadays because there is such thing as a scam where two drivers box someone in and slam the brakes.

That is no longer true in California.

Yeah but CA don't count :p
I think there is some leeway nowadays because there is such thing as a scam where two drivers box someone in and slam the brakes.
Well it depends on whether you are in a no fault state or not. NY is a no fault state so its up to the insurance, if you rear end someone your insurance pays no matter what because it's "your fault" from insurance company stand point.

Last edited:
I don't know about other states, but in MA it definitely makes a difference whether the driver who was hit just changed lanes. and we are not a no-fault state.

On the commute to school this morning, a massive WTF moment...

Me: keeping up with traffic flow doing ~75mph

Passing me (and everyone else in my lane) on the right, doing ~100: a Prius and a bro-dozer H3, bright yellow with big shiny rims... they appeared to be racing. (with the Prius winning this apparent tard battle)

:?

On the commute to school this morning, a massive WTF moment...

Me: keeping up with traffic flow doing ~75mph

Passing me (and everyone else in my lane) on the right, doing ~100: a Prius and a bro-dozer H3, bright yellow with big shiny rims... they appeared to be racing. (with the Prius winning this apparent tard battle)

O_O

I think Einstein just rolled over in his grave.

here in MO, driver's ed is not required. As a result, not only do we have idiots blocking the lassing lane, we have dumbasses braking on the entrance ramp and dumberasses on the interstate breaking for them. Sometimes makes it a tight squeeze to hop on the shoulder to veer around em while punching it.

Sounds like you are part of the problem.

I don't know about other states, but in MA it definitely makes a difference whether the driver who was hit just changed lanes. and we are not a no-fault state.

Totally forgot to do this. MA is not a state :p

A dumbass kid (16 or so) randomly decided to run right in front of my car today. All dark clothes after night fall dashed right from behind parked cars. To make matters worse I had to get around a car that a driver was getting out of so I was further to the left than I normally would be (direction he came from), he was like 2 feet from my bumper I didn't even have time to tap the horn much less hit the brakes (like it would do any good even from 20 or so it takes more than 2 feet to stop). Woulda been pissed too, he'd fuck up my bumper/grill for sure.

Not exactly a driver, but definitely stupid:
Kid last night around 8:30 PM skateboarding in the center turn lane. Dark clothes, no lights of course. If I had to use the center turn lane he would have gone through my windshield.

That would have made for a hell of a mess and it takes forever to get gore out of the seats.

Talking of stupid pedestrians

Yesterday I turned left into a side road, and then I found a pedestrian. He was standing in the middle of my lane, facing away from me, and latching his coat. But the ral funny part was he was not -on- the crossing, he was half a meter off of it... I actually counted to three before honking...

Every Chicago-area gearhead knows that I-90 between, say, Schaumburg and Hoffman Estates should be renamed the Jane Addams Perpetual Track Day. Three lanes of dead-straight tollway, always well-packed with cars owned by people with money. So, while driving inbound today, it was no surprise to see someone in a Cayman S. It was also no surprise to see someone in a Cayman S start driving like a total idiot, pulling lane changes at 85 or so in spaces that would cause trouble for a Fiat 500. After a few of these showing-off moves, he got into a hooning contest with, of all things, an old Ford Fiesta. You can guess who won that one. Since I hate Porsches with a passion (blame 911 Burnout), I did what any user of Final Gear would do: cranked up Sisters of Mercy's "This Corrosion" on the MP3 player, matched the Cockster's speed, and decided to give him a little ego check by pulling to within Audi Distance. My message was clear: "My little Japanese shitbox can do 95 too and I paid a fifth of what you paid, you couldn't afford a 911, and your engine sounds like ass." After a minute or so of this, I needed to pull off, so my fun was ended.

Yeah, the driver was definitely balding and fat. No, not me, the Cockster's pilot.

Something happened today that reminded me on an incident that happened a few years ago when driving through the mountains returning from summer vacation. Now I've seen a lot of incredibly stupid drivers in my life, but there is absolutely nothing that can rival the following story.

Picture a long sweeping hairpin one lane per side. The outside of the hairpin has about 4 feet of gravel shoulder followed by a steep drop into oblivion. Also those on the inside of the hairpin are driving up a reasonably steep hill. Also, it's a blind corner as there are many very large trees in the center obscuring the view as you go around the corner.

Now that the scene is set... I was driving downhill around the outside of the corner and about half way in I see the front of a semi-truck carrying a very very large boat. A split second later another semi with full length trailer in my lane attempting to overtake.

Let me say this again. One semi truck, attempting to overtake another, on the outside a sharp blind turn up a hill. To this day I'm not entirely sure how I survived the encounter. I pulled off to the side of the road after, and noticed that he just nicked my mirror as I went around on the gravel shoulder, and upon examining the tire marks it looked like one of my rear tires may have actually gone off the drop.

The funny thing is we were in a rented van and my gf was in the back playing with our dog at the time. Only after it was over did she look up and ask what that bang was. Needless to say I was done driving for the day.

On my way home tonight, behind a Toyota Avalon, both of us merging onto a motorway.
On the motorway in the right lane, a first generation Kia Sportage. I prepare to merge behind the Sportage, figuring that the Avalon - which was a bit ahead of the Kia - would accelerate and merge in front.
Wrong.
The Avalon driver stops - on the on ramp - and tries to occupy the same spot as my car, pulling in behind the Kia. I hit the brakes, the horn, and let loose a stream of profanity that would have made my master chief proud.

Now I admit to some culpability in this - I should have known that the Avalon driver would have no idea what that long, thin pedal on the right was for. After all, the Toyota Avalon is for the driver who thinks that a Buick is just too gosh-darn exciting.

Yesterday evening I went home from my grandparents.
On the homestretch, the A4, I encountered a X3 or X5 which was slightly faster than me. The bahn was clear at that time, except for two cars following eachother on the right lane a bit ahead and the BMW. The car behind was a bit close for my liking (about 5 car lenghts, guessed from 300m away) but nothing concerning. Then the X came in.
They were approaching an exit, which the BMW apparently needed to take. So he went right alongside the two and merged in the right lane between them. Afterwards the second car indicated as well to exit and followed the BMW.
Unless the two were in some kind of race it would make no sense to me to use the smallest gap there was when there is plenty of space available (by now I was maybe 200m behind the duett).

Something happened today that reminded me on an incident that happened a few years ago when driving through the mountains returning from summer vacation. Now I've seen a lot of incredibly stupid drivers in my life, but there is absolutely nothing that can rival the following story.

Picture a long sweeping hairpin one lane per side. The outside of the hairpin has about 4 feet of gravel shoulder followed by a steep drop into oblivion. Also those on the inside of the hairpin are driving up a reasonably steep hill. Also, it's a blind corner as there are many very large trees in the center obscuring the view as you go around the corner.

Now that the scene is set... I was driving downhill around the outside of the corner and about half way in I see the front of a semi-truck carrying a very very large boat. A split second later another semi with full length trailer in my lane attempting to overtake.

Let me say this again. One semi truck, attempting to overtake another, on the outside a sharp blind turn up a hill. To this day I'm not entirely sure how I survived the encounter. I pulled off to the side of the road after, and noticed that he just nicked my mirror as I went around on the gravel shoulder, and upon examining the tire marks it looked like one of my rear tires may have actually gone off the drop.

The funny thing is we were in a rented van and my gf was in the back playing with our dog at the time. Only after it was over did she look up and ask what that bang was. Needless to say I was done driving for the day.

Holy crap. Did the driver of the truck behind you even notice what he had done? (like, did he pull over or something or did he just sped off)
Also, I know you were driving a van, but (just to make my understanding of the situation clear) was it possible for you to stand on the gas pedal with all your might and pass the oncoming truck before the one behind you arrived?