Stupid Driver Stories

Phew... I was afraid it was the 944. Not that it doesn't suck but at least your Jeep would be easy to repair.

Or the Trans Am. When one hit my car it disintegrated and the guy came out bleeding. :|\
Also a how didn't you see me moment. Bright yellow car, how do you not see that?

The same way people don't see a 4,200 lb SUV with a horn that sounds like I stole it off a locomotive or a 6'4" guy wearing a bright yellow suit, with a white helmet covered in reflective stickers and riding a big bright yellow motorcycle.

The same way people don't see a 4,200 lb SUV with a horn that sounds like I stole it off a locomotive or a 6'4" guy wearing a bright yellow suit, with a white helmet covered in reflective stickers and riding a big bright yellow motorcycle.

In the latter case they are probably trying to kill you.

You seriously think that simply staying on the road with your vehicle is "demanding perfection"? :rolleyes:

If that had been a 95-year-old grandpa with a 1985 Mercedes 190 D, I would have said: Okay, let's move on, nothing to see here.

But a driver behind the wheel of maybe 40 tons of moving mass, that can squeeze everything in its path to death, sorry... My tolerance there is very, very limited.

And please don't be so thin-skinned. If I reacted that way each time someone criticized people, who do the same job I do (and believe me, that happens a lot), I would be a nervous wreck by now.

Nobody attacked you. Look at what thevictor390 wrote. Makes sense.

:cheers:

Cut the crap.....read and quote my whole post instead of twisting it your way, I made it perfectly clear that falling asleep behind the wheel is unacceptable to me aswell, especialy if it's caused by systhematic breaking of resttimerules (not that they make much sence but hey....better then nothing)

So you lot have little tolerance for us huh, no damn shit? So your driving must be perfect then? All perfect little motorist living in lalaland, like that bitch in the red Kangoo with Dutch plates I saved her damn life while almost losing mine today I take it?
She pulled out to cross a mayor road I was on (60kph), she pulls out to close to me, realises someone else is coming the other way, (2 vehicles you missed in 1 crossing maneuvre? brilliant honey!) panics and stops right in the middle of my lane, directly infront of me, I am maybee 50 m away from her, so I swerve, luckaly there is a white crossed line pattern to the left, but the move was to violent at that speed so my gargo shifts its weight, effectivly lifting the wheels on one side off the roadway, I countersteer, trucks comes down again and with more chance then wisdom I bring it under control and a stop......
The bitch drove on, not even realising what she almost caused....I was at the side of the road for 10 minutes shaking.
If this was a 1 time thing it would be a strange coincidence, but things like this happen almost daily.

But maybee next time, instead of risking my own life by swerving and almost rolling the damn thing, I should just plow straight into that ignorant bitch and her crapcan, I'm high up and have my seatbelt on, some bruising and some broken ribs max, she gets catapulted to the next town, her insurance gets my boss a new truck, everybody wins!...... we are all murderous bastards with no concern for others peoples safety out driving around for fun causing mayhem in your world anyway right?

Please go find yourself the nearest tree and hang yourself.

Sincerely, Cowboy.

Last edited:
This belongs here.....

Man who lay on road ?mistaken for a speed bump?

A drunken prank ended in tragedy when a man who lay on the road was run over and killed after being mistaken for a speed bump.

Matthew Webb, 37, had been drinking at a pub near his home in Thatcham, Berkshire before crawling onto the road, an inquest heard on Wednesday.

The hearing was told how Mr Webb had been knocking on doors and running away, before lying down in front of oncoming traffic, forcing motorists to swerve across the road to avoid him.

His pal Daniel Gringell said Mr Webb had been drinking beer, Sambuca and rum and was ?full of high spirits, just being crazy.?

He added that he and other friend Oliver Lee warned him to stop.

When Mr Webb was approached by an off-duty police officer, he jumped up from the road and ran away laughing.

But motorist Chloe Claridge failed to spot him and drove straight over him, dragging him under her car and killing him instantly.

Miss Claridge told the hearing: ?I don?t know how I didn?t see him there but there were lots of people and I got distracted.?

She said that she went over what she had believed to be a speed bump, and thought she had burst a tyre.

She said: ?But then I saw there was a person lying in the road.?

PC John Goggin said two witnesses told him they had seen Mr Webb before the incident ?crawling in the road like a cat?.

Mr Webb?s blood alcohol level was more than one-and-a-half times the legal limit for driving.
Berkshire Coroner Peter Bedford said that although Mr Webb was a grown man, his actions were not mature.

He said: ?These actions I believe, led to his tragic and unnecessary death. To lose your life in these circumstances is a tragic waste of life.?

The inquest recorded a verdict of misadventure.

This isn't the first time I've heard of something like this happening, which is quite sad, really. One instance involved a student at my University who was driving his motorcycle down the main drag (ISB for those in the know) running over someone passed out in the middle of the road. Killed the man in the road, but I'm unsure of what happened to the rider; some say he died later from his injuries, others said he was fine.

I say poor girl. I am sure she was watching to make sure she wouldn't hit all of the drunk people standing up. Now she has to live with the fact she ended a life.

I say poor girl. I am sure she was watching to make sure she wouldn't hit all of the drunk people standing up. Now she has to live with the fact she ended a life.

I'm with you on that. It's a stupid pedestrian story rather than driver. No one expects a person to be laying out in the road, from what I understand it was also at night if he were wearing dark clothes chances of spotting him are fairly low.

Truckers around here on hilly roads can be problematic, they build up speed at all costs leading up to a hill so you seem them tailgating and rapidly lane changing all the time... I understand why speed is important before hitting a hill but is it really more important than the car in front of you you're about to flatten
I tend to put myself in the truckers shoes, when I see a hill coming up and a truck behind me, I make sure I don't switch to his lane when he's making a run up the hill.
At traffic lights I move to the left lane if a truck is behind me so he can do his "slow crawl rather than stop" thing.
And when I approach a four way stop, I tend to wave a truck through if the timing is close.

She pulled out to cross a mayor road I was on (60kph), she pulls out to close to me, realises someone else is coming the other way, (2 vehicles you missed in 1 crossing maneuvre? brilliant honey!) panics and stops right in the middle of my lane, directly infront of me, I am maybee 50 m away from her, so I swerve, luckaly there is a white crossed line pattern to the left, but the move was to violent at that speed so my gargo shifts its weight, effectivly lifting the wheels on one side off the roadway, I countersteer, trucks comes down again and with more chance then wisdom I bring it under control and a stop......
A while ago I saw a similar situation.
I was on a road with a semi truck heading in the other direction, and some lady to the right at an intersection at a stop sign.
When the truck is maybe 50m away from the intersection, the lady slowly makes a left turn right in to the path of the truck.
He had to violently swerve on to the shoulder and he ended up passing her there.
I also moved to the shoulder because I wasn't sure if he was going to make it or not.
The lady seemed completely unaware and made no attempt to stop or move or anything.

In the latter case they are probably trying to kill you.
All the cars are out to get us. :ninja:

I actually do feel that way sometimes. Had a prick in an '05-'09 Mustang harassing me just this morning. I passed him on a two-lane rural highway and for the next 15 minutes he was after me like I'd donkey-punched his mom. Tailgating me, making some dangerous passes to keep up ... being even more of an ass than the stereotypical Mustang driver.

GRtak said:
Needless to say, I have already called my lawyer and will be filing complaints about both of these guys to their department and the state police.
Good. Sounds like you kept your cool too, which is impressive given the situation. I probably would've gotten myself tazered yelling back at the cop. Get any response to your complaint?

All the cars are out to get us.

I actually do feel that way sometimes. Had a prick in an '05-'09 Mustang harassing me just this morning. I passed him on a two-lane rural highway and for the next 15 minutes he was after me like I'd donkey-punched his mom. Tailgating me, making some dangerous passes to keep up ... being even more of an ass than the stereotypical Mustang driver.
It's true I've seen that kind of behavior a lot with drivers, can't imagine why I usually give bikes extra room just in case. Of course if we happen to be in adjacent lanes I will try to race it and lose :p

It's true I've seen that kind of behavior a lot with drivers, can't imagine why I usually give bikes extra room just in case. Of course if we happen to be in adjacent lanes I will try to race it and lose :p
It's pretty apparent when someone is giving you room and it's definitely appreciated. It's just easier to assume that everyone is "Mayhem" from those Allstate commercials. Though I suppose some riders get downright militant about that.

Anyway, I've had plenty of people rev at me at lights, or downshift for a bit beside me. That's just good fun as far as I'm concerned :D. But the only people who have ever tried to seriously race me were in Mustangs. Not even Cobras or anything. Hell, the first time it happened it was a yellow V6 model. For the first 5 minutes or so I thought the guy this morning was trying to race too, but I think he was mostly just trying to scare me.

Last edited:

Yeah I actually give the correct stopping distance for motorcycles :lol:
IDK why people wouldn't as if you hit a car your insurance goes up, if you hit a motorcycle and it happens to be a not properly geared person then you go to jail for vehicular manslaughter.

But maybee next time, instead of risking my own life by swerving and almost rolling the damn thing, I should just plow straight into that ignorant bitch and her crapcan,...

I hate to say this, and I know I'll probably get some neg-rep, but:

I'd have hit her.

Seeing a (possible) upcoming collision and having time to stop or avoid it is one thing. Having to stomp on your brakes and do what you did in a huge truck...well...the laws of physics can be a bitch.

I run into(no pun intended) people like this every day.

I drive a 98 Taurus that looks like a piece of crap. Since I got it so cheap, and parts are so cheap, I've had the gunk flushed out of the engine, had it properly serviced, upgraded most of the suspension, brakes, sway bars, calipers, struts and so forth. It still looks like crap because I haven't had the time or the energy to get the minor dings fixed or have it resprayed yet. And the insurance is dirt cheap. :p

But it handles, maneuvers and brakes better than most people would ever give it credit for. Surprises the heck out of me most of the time. I can stop that car on a dime.

However, almost every day when I go home at about 1:00 to 2:30 am, without fail, I get some idiot on my bumper (on a 3 lane road!) who's so close I can't even see his license plate. If I see a light go yellow, I generally pray to God that there's no oncoming traffic, (at that time of morning there's thankfully not) and floor it.

I normally have plenty of time to stop, and I know that my car could do it easily.

However...I have no idea as to why the idiot of the day is tailgating me or when's the last time (if ever) he had his brakes looked at. I could stop in time easily, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, the dude behind me would completely eat the entire rear end of my car.

While I do carry full coverage, it's still full coverage on a 98 Taurus. I'd probably get a check for $20, and be totally hosed. And without a car for a while.

All that aside, I personally believe that people who do stupid crap like you described actually do know what they're doing. They just don't care.

I mean, everyone here and on this entire plant who drives a vehicle was at one point inexperienced, a bit frightened, and did some stupid things. Myself included. Those people are easy to spot, because after they do something stupid, they generally have the guts to look at you with that "Dude! I'm so sorry! That was my fault! Please don't hurt me!" while they wave you on by. Those people I can deal with and understand.

But someone who would do something like you described, and then just carry on as though nothing had happened...especially when a big huge ass freaking truck was involved....

She had to have known. And unfortunately, she'll do it again. Probably tomorrow. And every day she can get away with it. They all do.

Right up to the point when she does cause a huge accident, and someone gets hurt. Hopefully no one dies, but she'll be the one blubbering on about how she's "never done anything like that...ever! Honestly officer! I'm a good driver! I've never had an accident before now..."

So, if I was in a regular sized car and had to swerve or stomp on my brakes to avoid an accident, sure.

But in a huge truck like yours...(or a bus or any other large heavy vehicle) you're just more likely to cause an even bigger accident where other innocents in addition to you will get screwed.

<end rant>

I remember a rather frighting occasion when someone slammed on the brakes in front of me suddenly. Not frightening because I had to stop, I know the stopping distance of my car and had a decent foot of space between cars. The frightening thing was the noise I heard after. SSSSSSSKKKKKKKRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEE and old civic irc, that was the noise it made when it tried to stop. So I sat there clutching my steering wheel, knowing I would be fine because there is a trunk and a back seat to go through before smashing me, and my car is good in a front to back crash, but fuck man. The last time someone hit me it took three fucking months to get my car back, three months is a long time to not have a car, especially when you know the insurance company can't give you a rental due to age.

What if a kid chases a ball in front of that car or someone doesn't look both ways before crossing? That's how I know how fast my car can stop, fuck I can tell you how fast the outback stops and I've put maybe 300 miles on the thing tops. How can you know your brakes are that bad and not fix them? I had one day of trying to 0-60 in the rain and almost giving myself a heart attack before saying "I need to go buy tires!" How do you drive around like that and not care?

About three car lengths btw, is how long that civic took to stop. The traffic was going maybe 35? My car takes a couple of feet tops at that speed how do you think that that is ok?

Last edited:
Right up to the point when she does cause a huge accident, and someone gets hurt. Hopefully no one dies, but she'll be the one blubbering on about how she's "never done anything like that...ever! Honestly officer! I'm a good driver! I've never had an accident before now..."

There's an old joke that pretty much sums it up. It used to be a mother in-law joke but I'm not going there and it applies to all drivers "He/she has been driving for X years and has never had a single accident, but has seen thousands."

I've always said that if gets in a stupid position in front of my Land Rover then I won't try to avoid them, not that I have much choice with drum brakes and swerve-unfriendly suspension.

It's pretty apparent when someone is giving you room and it's definitely appreciated. It's just easier to assume that everyone is "Mayhem" from those Allstate commercials. Though I suppose some riders get downright militant about that.
LOL I'm with you on that
Anyway, I've had plenty of people rev at me at lights, or downshift for a bit beside me. That's just good fun as far as I'm concerned . But the only people who have ever tried to seriously race me were in Mustangs. Not even Cobras or anything. Hell, the first time it happened it was a yellow V6 model. For the first 5 minutes or so I thought the guy this morning was trying to race too, but I think he was mostly just trying to scare me.
LOL a V6 trying to seriously race a motorcycle that is hilarious. A friend of mine calls Mustang drivers the ricers of the domestic world and i cant honestly say i disagree.
I hate to say this, and I know I'll probably get some neg-rep, but:

I'd have hit her.
+1
I remember a rather frighting occasion when someone slammed on the brakes in front of me suddenly. Not frightening because I had to stop, I know the stopping distance of my car and had a decent foot of space between cars. The frightening thing was the noise I heard after. SSSSSSSKKKKKKKRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEE and old civic irc
You'd be scared by my car my brakes squeek under hard braking but it stops very fast. I had something similar on the Staten Island Expressway, coming towards Verazzanno bridge there is a hill but before it everyone is going like 70, so I crest the hill and have to brake very fast, which I can do but then I look in the rear view and the dude behind me barely missed me and actually tried to dodge to the shoulder.

I see your point, thing is in this case, no need calling an ambulance, just call some people to scrape the remains from between the wreckage.
Her car was a tiny french hollow box, my truck is equipped for off-road use and has a steel front fender that is tough enough to push over average/small sized trees whithout denting....in this case at that speed, hitting the drivers side first she had a 0% survival chance.

You just don't do that, not that you have much time to think about it, but if you did you woulden't do it anyway, the first thing you learn driving big ones (and something everybody should learn) is to always give yourself an out, incident=> look for way round/decrease impact => act.
Yes things can go horribly wrong by swerving, and they almost fucking did, in this case I woulden't have hit anything else exept trees wich would only have been a realy big problem for me, but in other cases you might indeed cause a bigger accident...it's just something instinct tells you to do.

Related : todays random idiot: similar road (60kph), pedestrian has no right of way, pedestrian sees me coming, pedestrian crosses anyway, braking ensued, pedestrian realises his mistake and runs like hell.

Last edited:
You'd be scared by my car my brakes squeek under hard braking but it stops very fast. I had something similar on the Staten Island Expressway, coming towards Verazzanno bridge there is a hill but before it everyone is going like 70, so I crest the hill and have to brake very fast, which I can do but then I look in the rear view and the dude behind me barely missed me and actually tried to dodge to the shoulder.
I probably wouldn't worry as my breaks squeek if they are damp from rain or something anyway so a short squeek wouldn't be alarming. Long screech like that is a noise that my brain categorizes as "car accident" so it scared me shitless.

I see your point, thing is in this case, no need calling an ambulance, just call some people to scrape the remains from between the wreckage.
Her car was a tiny french hollow box, my truck is equipped for off-road use and has a steel front fender that is tough enough to push over average/small sized trees whithout denting....in this case at that speed, hitting the drivers side first she had a 0% survival chance.

You just don't do that, not that you have much time to think about it, but if you did you woulden't do it anyway, the first thing you learn driving big ones (and something everybody should learn) is to always give yourself an out, incident=> look for way round/decrease impact => act.
Yes things can go horribly wrong by swerving, and they almost fucking did, in this case I woulden't have hit anything else exept trees wich would only have been a realy big problem for me, but in other cases you might indeed cause a bigger accident...it's just something instinct tells you to do.

Related : todays random idiot: similar road (60kph), pedestrian has no right of way, pedestrian sees me coming, pedestrian crosses anyway, braking ensued, pedestrian realises his mistake and runs like hell.

Reaction like that is quite understandable. I half the time stop for animals on reflex because brain says "THING MOVING INTO ROAD STOP" as I live in a neighborhood of unsupervised young children who will chase the damn ball into the road and I have trained myself to not murder the idiot children.

And I have no idea what is up with people making eye contact then running in front of you, or making eye contact when you are the one walking and almost mowing you down. I have been on both ends and you know me being conditioned as the car not the walker I fucking wait until the person slows way down before stepping into the road, but people have actually slowed down for crosswalk then almost run me down. :|