Stupid Driver Stories

If text and video is to be believed, a clear violation of STVO ? 15a (towing on the Autobahn only to the next exit from the point where the car broke down, no entry to the Autobahn when towing a vehicle) and ? 3 (speed while towing) ...

If text and video is to be believed, a clear violation of STVO ? 15a (towing on the Autobahn only to the next exit from the point where the car broke down, no entry to the Autobahn when towing a vehicle) and ? 3 (speed while towing) ...

Silly Germans and your adherence to laws :p

This is the road by my house...

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/am/amtgman/2011/06/20/house.JPG

You see that kink? That is a blind, uphill crest, with a hedge blocking the view of the road ahead. Pulling out of our driveway, we have to listen for oncoming cars rather than actually looking for them. Also, the 35 mph limit is not strictly followed.

I'm coming to a stop to back into where we usually park the Quest, and there is a looks-like-a-stereotypical-suburban-mother in a Ford Windstar (Well, there's yer problem) behind me. I have to pass the driveway, so I can back into it. I put the car into reverse, and wait a bit for her to back up to give me room. First thing she does? Creep forwards.

"*Mentally* Oh god, she's going to... Wait, what is she doing?"

What she was doing was setting herself up to pass us on the left. Over the double yellow lines, and hiding her shitty minivan behind the trees and hedge so that any car coming the other way (Which she would not have seen, what with the hedge and our own shitty minivan blocking the view,) would not see her until they were embedded in her front bumper, and my driver side door, and by extension, me.

Lucky for me, karma did not send a car at her, so she got away with the dumbass maneuver. Maybe I should have caught her license plate, and called it in, since there is a police station literally just down the road.

^lol, that's stupid ><
It reminds me though: I was once on my way to the post office to pick a package, and I had sort of the same stupidity happen to me.
I should explain- (sorry for the touchpad-made drawing)
aDDVZ.jpg

The post office's parking lot is accessible from the main road (black), via the red driveway thing, which is, critically, only wide enough for one car to pass through. It's also pretty much a blind turn. Being the only accessway to there, cars which go out also use that way, but they go out through the blue way through another parking lot (which is for a nearby supermarket and usually filled to the brim), and back to the main road.
So anyway, I was turning right (again, it's a blind turn) and immediately braked as I saw a Mazda3 stopped at the entrance facing the passageway (red part, he just turned off the main road). In front of the Mazda there was another car facing it and me, trying to go out to the blue way to go out. As I stopped, I was still only halfway in the red part, so I was blocking an entire lane, without it being my fault.
Now, this is where the idiocy kicks in- instead of reversing back to the parking lot and clear the jam, the car going out of the parking *continued forward*, hopelessly trying to shove into the blue exit. Of course it was impossible since the Mazda was in the way, and it couldn't move because I had just entered.
Eventually (=about 10 seconds), I had enough, reversed back to the main road, and entered the blue part through the green entrance. I had to wait in there until everyone had went where they wanted to, and then I reversed into the passageway through where the blue arrow is (which is a bit illegal, but forgive me for having the initiative to solve this mess).

God damn, I wanted to punch the driver of the car coming out of the parking. >: (

Last edited:
^lol, that's stupid ><
It reminds me though: I was once on my way to the post office to pick a package, and I had sort of the same stupidity happen to me.
I should explain- (sorry for the touchpad-made drawing)
aDDVZ.jpg

The post office's parking lot is accessible from the main road (black), via the red driveway thing, which is, critically, only wide enough for one car to pass through. It's also pretty much a blind turn. Being the only accessway to there, cars which go out also use that way, but they go out through the blue way through another parking lot (which is for a nearby supermarket and usually filled to the brim), and back to the main road.
So anyway, I was turning right (again, it's a blind turn) and immediately braked as I saw a Mazda3 stopped at the entrance facing the passageway (red part, he just turned off the main road). In front of the Mazda there was another car facing it and me, trying to go out to the blue way to go out. As I stopped, I was still only halfway in the red part, so I was blocking an entire lane, without it being my fault.
Now, this is where the idiocy kicks in- instead of reversing back to the parking lot and clear the jam, the car going out of the parking *continued forward*, hopelessly trying to shove into the blue exit. Of course it was impossible since the Mazda was in the way, and it couldn't move because I had just entered.
Eventually (=about 10 seconds), I had enough, reversed back to the main road, and entered the blue part through the green entrance. I had to wait in there until everyone had went where they wanted to, and then I reversed into the passageway through where the blue arrow is (which is a bit illegal, but forgive me for having the initiative to solve this mess).

God damn, I wanted to punch the driver of the car coming out of the parking. >: (
This sounds like a very bad road design more so than any kind of driver fail (not that driver didn't fail).

Yeah, it's infinitely stupid. And it's been there like that for years. To make matters worse, that post office's parking is excruciatingly small (~10 cars at most), and it's shared with some municipality offices. It's also the only parking lot that's even remotely close to the post office itself (apart from the one which is shown in that blue area, it's got 5 places which are usually taken)

When I'll have some free time after the test period to make a "take us for a drive in your country" video, I'd make sure to go through that bit so you could see the stupid in live.

There is a similar clusterfuck of fail at my town post office.

I mail things from the next town over. Totally worth it. :|

This is the road by my house...

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/am/amtgman/2011/06/20/house.JPG

You see that kink? That is a blind, uphill crest, with a hedge blocking the view of the road ahead. Pulling out of our driveway, we have to listen for oncoming cars rather than actually looking for them. Also, the 35 mph limit is not strictly followed.

I'm coming to a stop to back into where we usually park the Quest, and there is a looks-like-a-stereotypical-suburban-mother in a Ford Windstar (Well, there's yer problem) behind me. I have to pass the driveway, so I can back into it. I put the car into reverse, and wait a bit for her to back up to give me room. First thing she does? Creep forwards.

"*Mentally* Oh god, she's going to... Wait, what is she doing?"

What she was doing was setting herself up to pass us on the left. Over the double yellow lines, and hiding her shitty minivan behind the trees and hedge so that any car coming the other way (Which she would not have seen, what with the hedge and our own shitty minivan blocking the view,) would not see her until they were embedded in her front bumper, and my driver side door, and by extension, me.

Lucky for me, karma did not send a car at her, so she got away with the dumbass maneuver. Maybe I should have caught her license plate, and called it in, since there is a police station literally just down the road.

Similar thing with a moped, only this guy refused to go around....
I wanted to parallel park, so I indicate left, stop just after the free spot and wanted to reverse, at this point a moped stops behind me, compleetly oblivious with what I am about to do, (wich makes sence since here they tend to be ridden by people to euhrmmm 'special' to be able to get a licence), so I wave my arm for him to go around me (ample room, no oncoming traffic), he just sits there, I wave my arm again, he just sits there, I honk my horn and wave my arm, he just sits there :wall: At this point I have had enough and just reversed. Suddenly he is able to backpaddle (or whatever it is you do to backup the stupid thing) and go around wildly flailing his arm, go figure :p

Similar thing with a moped, only this guy refused to go around....
I wanted to parallel park, so I indicate left, stop just after the free spot and wanted to reverse, at this point a moped stops behind me, compleetly oblivious with what I am about to do, (wich makes sence since here they tend to be ridden by people to euhrmmm 'special' to be able to get a licence), so I wave my arm for him to go around me (ample room, no oncoming traffic), he just sits there, I wave my arm again, he just sits there, I honk my horn and wave my arm, he just sits there :wall: At this point I have had enough and just reversed. Suddenly he is able to backpaddle (or whatever it is you do to backup the stupid thing) and go around wildly flailing his arm, go figure :p
Awwww, I was hoping this ends with a mangled moped under your truck :(

Stupid mopedist story

I'm assuming you have reversing lights. I'd check they work properly, although I've never been in a situation like that and I don't have any reversing lights at all. Silly mopedists.

I'm assuming you have reversing lights. I'd check they work properly, although I've never been in a situation like that and I don't have any reversing lights at all. Silly mopedists.

They work.....he just didn't know what they mean I think, remember this was a 40 something overweight male with a backpack in clothes that were quite clearly bought by his mother on a motorised bycycle vehicle that is limited to 25 kph and requires no form of test to be allowed to drive it.
I'm going to go ahead and assume he wasen't a nuclear engineer. :p

Ok, today

1) a car cut me off because the line of car in front of him was stopping down and he would get in the line of car where I was, precisely when I was there.
2) a motorbike tried to merge from an onramp to the lane I was in, just as soon as the guard-rail from his on-ramp stopped, to overtake a car in front of him (which wasn't going that slow either); most importantly, though, the motorcyclist tried to merge into my car's right side.
3) a cyclist cut me off from a side street without even looking where he was going.

[rant mode on]

Now, I somehow feel I need a bull-bar to shove those endless imbecils down, a shotgun to end their sufferings and a camera to prove how things went.

[rant mode off]

Ok, I was a little angry. Besides, I can't get the shotgun anyway and my car doesn't support bull-bars. But I feel at least I should be taking the camera.

Last edited:
Dashcam is a great thing IMO, every car should come standard with a camera mount. The amount of time and Sellotape that got wasted over me trying to fix my mobile phone to the dash... D:

Dashcam is a great thing IMO, every car should come standard with a camera mount. The amount of time and Sellotape that got wasted over me trying to fix my mobile phone to the dash... D:

I can wedge my cell under the passanger headrest and it works pretty well very steady.

2 days in a row!

So, i take a back road to where i have to be each day. Its a road that cuts through a neighborhood so there are speedbumps, the road is about 1 mile long with a speed limit of 25 (most do 30). I know that sounds terrible but in this shitty town its can save 15 minutes from my 3 mile drive. Well, i just wanted to gripe because yesterday i got stuck behind someone who did about 20mph and i thought that sucked. Being that there are children around i wont pass someone, that would be stupid. Anyways, this morning i was blessed to be behind someone doing 15mph! I literally idled the whole way and guess what they BOTH have in common, yep, of thier phones. I am an avid supporter of banning cell phones while driving and this is the main reason. its not that they were going so damn slow, its that they didnt know they were doing it. massively distracted. i see it on the highway all the time too. people going 60 in a 70 on the phone in the left lane. This, IMO, can be just as bad as drunk driving.

2 days in a row!

So, i take a back road to where i have to be each day. Its a road that cuts through a neighborhood so there are speedbumps, the road is about 1 mile long with a speed limit of 25 (most do 30). I know that sounds terrible but in this shitty town its can save 15 minutes from my 3 mile drive. Well, i just wanted to gripe because yesterday i got stuck behind someone who did about 20mph and i thought that sucked. Being that there are children around i wont pass someone, that would be stupid. Anyways, this morning i was blessed to be behind someone doing 15mph! I literally idled the whole way and guess what they BOTH have in common, yep, of thier phones. I am an avid supporter of banning cell phones while driving and this is the main reason. its not that they were going so damn slow, its that they didnt know they were doing it. massively distracted. i see it on the highway all the time too. people going 60 in a 70 on the phone in the left lane. This, IMO, can be just as bad as drunk driving.

I think a better solution would be making it legal to push (as in physically) cars out of your way if they are going below the speed limit. I would get an H1 with some nice brush guards on the fornt :)

I know that Washington state has made it illegal and all US Military bases and facilities make it a serious offence. You WILL be stopped for it.
What I'm wondering though is how would you possibly enforce it. So the officer sees me with the phone in my hand pulls me over and claims I was texting. I tell him that I wasn't texting but was using it to control the music, since I have a smartphone that's a feasible scenario. Now he has to prove that I am not lying but going into my phone and seeing when the last txt was sent (useless in iPhone since it doesn't time stamp every txt) would be considered a search and would require a warrant from a magistrate.