Stupid Driver Stories

When I have everything up on my dash for a trip I have a GPS, Camera, Radar Detector, CB radio, the cell is plugged in and I often have an iPod FM Transmitter and a GPS EPRB. At some point I want to get my Ham Radio license and install a mobile unit in the X.

YNot that I condone txt/IM while driving but you can do it one handed w/o looking, you don't need two hands to drive a car.

Then why can't people drive when they're holding a phone to their ear? hell people using hands free generally don't drive much better than someone holding their phone. I think that's what people don't get. Just because you're looking at the road it does not mean you're paying attention. Just because you can drive with one hand it does not mean your other is free to play with your phone. You're looking at the road, you're focused on the phone. Should be obvious, but it just doesn't seem to be.

Then why can't people drive when they're holding a phone to their ear? hell people using hands free generally don't drive much better than someone holding their phone. I think that's what people don't get. Just because you're looking at the road it does not mean you're paying attention. Just because you can drive with one hand it does not mean your other is free to play with your phone. You're looking at the road, you're focused on the phone. Should be obvious, but it just doesn't seem to be.
So we are in agreement then, it's not about using the phone, or holding the phone or using the radio its about the fact that people can't drive; the ONLY way this could get better is through more thorough driver training not through legislation.
It's just hard to say.."No using your cell for any reason in the car..except as a MP3 player...the one that has this feature...but not this one, or this one, or this one or for this reason, or this one..."
All phones have it, even the most basic ones have mp3 playback, hell my RIZR had it back in 07.

See my problem is idiotic unenforceable legislation that doesn't really achieve the desired effect and gives more power to LEO to harass the populace. You are not allowed to use a cell phone but not an mp3 player, so if I'm holding an iPod touch, which looks like an iPhone, and futzing with it they can't legally issue me a ticket (well ok in NYS they can since we have a distracted driving law) even though my behavior would be as "dangerous" as someone talking on the phone.

By the same token if I want to make a phone call I would have to punch either the number in or find the name in a contact list on my HU (it has voice recognition but Russian accent + shitty VR software == rage and lots of misdials) that would cause me to take my eyes of the road. Same is for hitting the "dislike" button on the Pandora app on the HU. Yet none of these actions are currently illegal since I am using the HU not holding a cell phone to my ear. Same thing with me spilling a skinny soy mocha choco late venti on myself while trying to take a band and changing lanes at the same time in traffic, still distracting and dangerous but legal.

Either ban any activity other than controlling the vehicle or stop introducing nanny state legislature that really doesn't help prevent anything. Only thing that it does is if you get in a wreck with someone who was using their cell you have a better case for the courts legally speaking.

Last edited:
This happened about a month ago. I was waiting at a stop light and I see in my rear view mirror a little focus coming up rather fast. Now, I don't read lips very well but I could defiantly read this kids lips saying "OH SHIT!". And then loud tire screeching, no contact thank God. To this day you can still see the skid marks on the road from that day.

After that happened my first thought was "I'm almost certain Ford put ABS in focus'...:lol:

So we are in agreement then, it's not about using the phone, or holding the phone or using the radio its about the fact that people can't drive; the ONLY way this could get better is through more thorough driver training not through legislation.

I don't know. I mean I certainly agree that we need a much more thorough driver training program. But I'd be willing to say most people simply don't have enough brain power to dedicate to driving and anything else. I'm not really sure it matters how good a driver you are if only 50% of your attention is on the road. Sure better training would make it safer to txt/talk and drive but I don't think it would be safe by a long shot.

A bit weak, but this is the stupid driver of the day (from today's camera take):

Apparently someone has trouble deciding which lane they wish to occupy.

As for the whole hands-free/mp3/radio thing - my motorcycle helmet has a Bluetooth communication system in it, it has an FM radio, it can do voice commands to the iPhone connected to it. I only have to take one hand off the bars for a second and slap one of two buttons on the side of the helmet and then I'm back on the controls. No visual distractions.

A bit weak, but this is the stupid driver of the day (from today's camera take):

Apparently someone has trouble deciding which lane they wish to occupy.

As for the whole hands-free/mp3/radio thing - my motorcycle helmet has a Bluetooth communication system in it, it has an FM radio, it can do voice commands to the iPhone connected to it. I only have to take one hand off the bars for a second and slap one of two buttons on the side of the helmet and then I'm back on the controls. No visual distractions.

before i even read the rest of the post, just the video screamed cell phone to me.

I have no idea, the camera doesn't catch them and I was too busy flying through the construction zone while avoiding other idiots to look.

I don't know. I mean I certainly agree that we need a much more thorough driver training program. But I'd be willing to say most people simply don't have enough brain power to dedicate to driving and anything else. I'm not really sure it matters how good a driver you are if only 50% of your attention is on the road. Sure better training would make it safer to txt/talk and drive but I don't think it would be safe by a long shot.
But then those people will have the same problem with talking to passengers or drinking/eating while driving. Singling out one particular behavior is kinda useless IMO.

@Spectre: I was leaving work 3 years ago with my brother and in front of us was a Jeep that had gotten so sick of people doing that, he put on a bumper sticker saying "This isn't Pac-Man, PICK A LANE!" :)

Today at the supermarket parking lot (Episode 3458):

Had my shoppng cart full of frozen food and came out of the supermarket to see me being blocked from entering my car. A brandnew, white Opel Astra had parked about 20 cm left of me, barely missing my side mirror, with its right-side wheels about 25 cm over the dotted line.

My stature prevents getting in from the other side, so all I could do, was wait. 5 minutes passed by, then 10, then 15.

Did I mention, that it was raining and I had no umbrella?

I was thinking of my slowly melting ice-cream in the boot. Finally, after almost 20 minutes, a mid-aged woman (of course, what else?) slowly made her way to her car, checking the bill from the cashier. She was the short-haired, blond secretary type with glasses and (I'm not making this up) wore leopard-skin patterned pants.

She looked up, saw my annoyed face and the following dialogue began:

Me: "It's nice for you to drop by."
Her: "Huh?"
Me: "I've been waiting for you for more than 15 minutes."
She just looked dumbfounded, so I pointed to the small gap between our cars: "Do you notice something? I cannot get into my car."
A flicker of understanding hit her face: "Ooooh, soooorrrrryyyyy..."
(It's hard to reproduce it in written English but her "Entschuuuuuuuuuuullliguuuuuuuuung" was really long drawn-out)

I felt there was no more left to say, so I let it be. She then got into her car and actually managed to reverse without crashing into my side-mirror and I made sure she saw my very annoyed face again, before she drove off.

You know, sometimes I really miss not having any wild predators anymore around here, who seek out and kill the weak and wounded to remove them from evolution...

Last edited:
But then those people will have the same problem with talking to passengers or drinking/eating while driving. Singling out one particular behavior is kinda useless IMO.

Are you saying that sending a text or fooling with your ipod is no more distracting than talking to a passenger or having a drink?

Are you saying that sending a text or fooling with your ipod is no more distracting than talking to a passenger or having a drink?

I'm saying that if one's driving is adversely affected by a phone conversation or switching tracks on the iPod, then talking to a passenger or having a drink will have the same exact effect.
Why didn't you go back into the market and had her called out over the PA system?
Or break the window, put the car in neutral and push it out of your way.

Why didn't you go back into the market and had her called out over the PA system?

How many women do you know, who memorize their number plate?

Or break the window, put the car in neutral and push it out of your way.

For a moment I was tempted.

Last edited:
How many women do you know, who memorize their number plate?
*raises hand*

Well to some extent anyway. I have a serious issue with remembering any number in order. I can't tell you my cell phone number or my mother's despite calling it so often.

Yeah, I mean women outside of FinalGear :p

Oh, that one is easy. "Would the owner of a white Opel Astra please come to the front, your car is on fire."

It probably wouldn't have worked.

My mum drives a Toyota LC Prado, and so I once asked her what car does she drive. She responded with "Uhm, Terrano?" (Nissan Terrano being her previous car)
Women aren't very good at remembering anything about their cars D:

I don't know, it's worked for me when I've tried it over the years.

Of course, what you get then is every woman who drives a white car, every woman who drives an Opel and a few women who can't remember what it is they drove but they're coming to make sure it isn't their car anyway.... :p

Edit: And to be fair, not a few guys fitting the above stereotypes...

Last edited: