Stupid Driver Stories

I really hate drivers that pass me on the right on a two lane each way road when I am coasting up to a red light then proceed to pull back in front of me. What did that accomplish? Now you are one car ahead and stopped at the same light?

But he is ahead of you. :mrgreen:

I really hate drivers that pass me on the right on a two lane each way road when I am coasting up to a red light then proceed to pull back in front of me. What did that accomplish? Now you are one car ahead and stopped at the same light?

He won. You lost. Second place is the first loser, and you just lost. He just served you, scrub. BURN!

Seriously, I hate that crap, too, especially when they use turning lanes and then force their way over and pretend they didn't realize it was a turning lane they were in. Call them out on it and they'll flip you off, because their stupidity is your fault.

In the diagram below, I'm in the blue car in the right lane. The Idiot is in red in the left lane - a tan late 90's Cadillac DeVille, quite a way's in front of me. He's tootling along at about 45 - flow of traffic is 75+. Suddenly, he slams on the brakes and turns sideways across my lane and STOPS - prettymuch right in front of me. There isn't even any conflicting traffic for him to stop FOR. I have to swerve into the merge lane to avoid t-boning the bastard. I look in my rear-view, expecting to see an epic pileup and get ready to stop and render assistance and/or assbeatings.... And there he is, driving up the onramp. Against traffic.

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ey/eyemwing/2011/09/06/NotHowYouExit.png

This is scary and made the main News today:

CCTV cameras captured Hunt driving the wrong way on the M5​

BBC News - M5 motorway wrong-way driver Deborah Hunt jailed

BBC News said:
A woman who drove the wrong way for 23 miles on the M5 in Somerset has been jailed for nine months.

Deborah Hunt, 43, from Langport, drove north on the southbound carriageway of the motorway in July, from Bridgwater towards Weston-super-Mare.

She was twice over the drink-drive limit and had no insurance, Bristol Crown Court was told.

Hunt pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, driving under the influence of alcohol and without insurance.

She was also banned from driving for 15 months and will be required to take an extended driving test.

She wept in the dock as Judge Mark Horton said he would be failing in his public duty if he did not jail her immediately for so serious an offence.

The woman was drunk and had no insurance, she was very lucky not to have had a head on crash with a random car going the correct direction. Police found her stopped on the hard shoulder trying to restart the car, but it had run out of petrol.

The definition of a stupid driver.

:rolleyes:

She just followed the golden rule: don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly...

I also can't believe she'll be back on the road in 15 months.

If she passes the extended re-test, which may be difficult for a middle aged alcoholic woman.

But yeah, 15 month ban does seem a little short, even though 4.5 months or so will be spent in chokey. Several years ban would have been more fitting, maybe.

The judge also stated she will also have to prove she has overcome her alcohol problems. Essentially she has to prove she's clean before she's even allowed to have another shot at the re-test.

In addition to all that, hopefully she'll have to get one of those breathalyzers that won't let her start the car if it detects alcohol.

Another reason why senior citizens should get re-tested for their license every few years (rather than free-riding like they are now)...

On my way to class this morning, I nearly got mowed down by an old man in a white Ford Fusion. Before anything else, let me explain the set up. All of the intersections in and around the University of Pittsburgh (and at various places throughout the city) are set up so that when the light changes to red for one street, the pedestrian light for those who want to cross said street changes first 3 - 5 seconds after and then after another 3 - 5 seconds, the crossing traffic gets the light. The intersection of Forbes and Bigelow - by the Cathedral of Learning, where this little incident occurred - is set up this way.

The light had been red for a while, but this idiot completely ignores both the red light and the pedestrians crossing the road (including myself) and enters the intersection like nothing is wrong (he had the most clueless expression on his face), getting several horn blasts from the crossing traffic that was just starting to enter the intersection as well as looks of disbelief from everyone who saw him pull this stunt.

He definitely deserves the title of Captain Oblivious.

- Dan

Not just seniors, EVERYONE. That is the only way to get some of these tools driving like they are the only ones on the road to take driving seriously.

I believe Autoweek magazine has taken the position that driving tests should be difficult/frequent enough to take the worst ten percent of drivers off the road who pass current driver's tests in most states. I completely agree. I might even argue for fifteen percent. All I remember is, that my driving test was retardedly, frighteningly, easy. I could have passed the thing after my first few hours behind the wheel, even though I went on to do the mandated 50 hours.

Anyway, I almost got sideswiped today on the freeway. fucking twice. in a row. First was by some obliviot (mind if I use your word, Spectre? it was certainly fitting here) in a Mazda 3. Fuckhead was talking on his phone like a tard, not even trying to hide it, (handheld phone = ticket in CA) and started to drift into my lane as I was next to him. luckily, the lane on my other side was clear so I had room to swerve around him. I had to react so suddenly that I didn't even have time to let him have it with my horn.

Second time was about 15 seconds later. Some derpface lady driving a rental RV tried to merge into me without signalling. I wasn't even in her blindspot either. Actually I probably was, she seemed like the kind of person that adjusts their mirrors for doing makeup. Since my hand was now on my horn button from 15 seconds ago, I let her know how I felt about that. Then she moved slowly back into her lane and I passed her as fast as the Grandmawagen could. she was staring blankly ahead when I looked at her in my mirror. Probably didnt even see me till I was in front of her.

I believe Autoweek magazine has taken the position that driving tests should be difficult/frequent enough to take the worst ten percent of drivers off the road who pass current driver's tests in most states. I completely agree. I might even argue for fifteen percent. All I remember is, that my driving test was retardedly, frighteningly, easy. I could have passed the thing after my first few hours behind the wheel, even though I went on to do the mandated 50 hours.

The results from the 50 hours driver training do seem to show that it helps with reducing the initial learning curve crashes, but IIRC there's a study out now showing that the statistics are identical after about 18 months of driving. Some states are now looking at trying 100 hours training; I don't know if that's going to help.

First was by some obliviot (mind if I use your word, Spectre? it was certainly fitting here) in a Mazda 3.

Feel free, I didn't invent it - I got it from someone else years back. Sometimes it's the only word to appropriately describe some people.

I think the most scary thing about the driving tests is nothing they teach on them will ever be used again. Once you pass you start over from scratch.
What was on mine iirc: going the speed limit, how many feet before turning to use a blinker, how many seconds to stop at a stop sign, how to "parallel park" (in other words pull over the car and reverse. I still don't know how to parellel park because I never use it and feel too embarrassed practicing.)
I would honestly have to guess on the things that are numbers and am not really qualified to teach my friend how to drive so she can finally get a damn licence.

I didn't actually have to learn how to parallel park for my driving test, but I don't really parallel park at all (Yikes, right? They scored the turning much heavier. Heck, I didn't even have to do the freeway portion). However, I do get to practice when people half park in the spot I park my car in front of my house. I have to park there because the lawn sprinklers shower the windows on the car in the other spots). It's not quite the same, but it's nice backing into a spot practice.

Unfortunately, today, on my break from fail work while I was driving to my favorite coffee shop I had to drive near the school I go to. Unfortunately a lot of the students just kind of cross the street without looking or caring and some started crossing after I entered the intersection (it was clear when I passed the crosswalk on my side of the street, they did the lazy I'm just going to cross from one direction to another without looking) and so I had to stop and wait in the middle of the intersection while they took their sweet time crossing the street. Seriously kids, I don't do that, I wait until the intersection is much clearer (it was during heavy traffic). <_< I do actually follow the laws if I can safely when a pedestrian steps into a crosswalk and I wait for them to clear the crosswalk. (Sometimes if they Jaywalk too, but sometimes they just kind of step out as you are passing them so you can't do much.)

I think there was a police officer behind me of some sort, but they didn't take any action so it worked out for me, but it was still quite annoying.

Last edited:
I have no idea what it is about college that makes everyone forget that "look both ways before crossing the street" thing you learn when you are five. Even the professors did it at my old school. I think my favorite day was after almost running over all the college people who stepped in front of the car for the day, I was on my way home and witnessed a couple dogs walk to the corner, look both ways, wait for the light to turn and used the crosswalk. :|
THE DOGS. THE DOGS ARE SMARTER THAN THE COLLEGE PROFESSORS HOW DOES THAT WORK.