Stupid Driver Stories

I know I've harped on this subject before but when I come to power I'm installing speed cameras on every road that will issue fines to anyone not going within at least 5mph of the posted limit. Driving bans will be issued to any driver not traveling within 15mph of the speed limit. There's absolutely no reason to be holding up five other cars for ten miles because you decide to go 35mph on a 60mph road on a perfectly clear day at 2pm. :censored:

I know I've harped on this subject before but when I come to power I'm installing speed cameras on every road that will issue fines to anyone not going within at least 5mph of the posted limit. Driving bans will be issued to any driver not traveling within 15mph of the speed limit. There's absolutely no reason to be holding up five other cars for ten miles because you decide to go 35mph on a 60mph road on a perfectly clear day at 2pm. :censored:

Need rep system back like NOW

Ah, the joys of driving in the rural countryside or "turnip-top" land as us city folk call it.

Well, at least you get to smell free cow shit any time you want.
(We just get aircraft & car pollution and other 21st century stuff.)

Wut?

:tease:

Ok, so I am starting to think "spam bot."

Yeah it's ok, it's raining and i'm in the outside lane, just pull out in-front of me you cunt.

I very nearly had a big crash yesterday afternoon which could have ended my and other lifes. Here's what happened:

I was on the Autobahn with two lanes in every direction, no speed limit. I was going 150-ish km/h (94 mph) in the left lane. There was a lady in a black 1-series behind me and slowly gaining on me, a silver Fiesta not far behind her. Soon, there was a gap between the big rigs on the right lane big enough for me to pull in and let her past. So I did and decreased my speed to 140 km/h (88 mph) to let her past. But I was closing in quickly on the next rig, so after she went past I accelerated again immediately to pull on to the fast lane between the 1-series and the Fiesta, which was no problem at all. Exactly when I had made the lane change and had accelerated to 150 km/h again, the lady in the 1-series slammed on her brakes for no apparent reason, quickly decelerating to 100 km/h (63 mph). I was forced to brake extremely hard to avoid rear-ending her, and the Fiesta, not far behind me, had to swerve to the right lane to avoid crashing into me. Luckily we had already passed the rig and the right lane was free at the time.

After I had recovered from the shock, I was surprised to see that she accelerated again right after her vicious brake move. I flashed my high beams at her and overtook her soon later, but she didn't react in any way, nor did she look at me at any time. Driving the same route today I saw what made her brake so hard. There are roadworks about 1 km ahead of the area I'm talking about, so there's a 100-km/h-sign to slow the traffic down before the roadworks begin. So she must have thought that she was going way too fast, and that it would be a good idea correct that mistake right now without thinking about anything happening around her.

Well possible worst case scenario: the Fiesta rear-ends me at 100 km/h, we both spin out, get hit by following cars and rigs, we all die, and the person responsible for the crash drives away and is never to be found, probably not even aware of what she did.

Last edited:
I remember, from all the way back in middle school, one of the first things my driver's ed instructor said to the class was: "you probably all know already to look to your left and right before turning left or right, but where do you look before slowing down?" Only myself and a couple of other people got it. Behind you! Sounds like someone forgot some basic parts of their driver's education.

Among other news... This isn't a personal story, but it did happen in my hometown. A guy got into a Cobra that wasn't his... and immediately proceeded to become a pretty solid Darwin Award candidate. Story here.

tl;dr: Guy decides to take a Cobra belonging to the dealership he works for out for some hooning while out on a photoshoot with it. Speeds aorund city streets. neglects to put on seat belt. hits building. dies.

You do not fuck with a Cobra. This is why. This is also the kind of story that seriously grinds my gears. When crap like this makes the news, it makes all of us car people look bad. This is the kind of thing that plants the idea in people's minds that car enthusiast = derranged nutjob with no regard for their own or anyone else's safety. Sympathy for the guy's friends and family.

Yep Cobra is not a car to be taken lightly, shitload of power and very little weight = REALLY hard to drive.

Hey idiots, the reason why I undertook you all and gained a good 20 places, is because the bus lane is in operation between 4 and 6. (it was 2:30.)

My mother would be banned for life. She drives 15 under the speed limit and I keep telling her that her speedo runs about 5 miles fast. 25 in a 45 with a half a mile of traffic behind her where ever she goes.

My mother is very similar, drives with the speedo needle right on the number despite copious evidence that it is quite optimistic. Not even a GPS calculation clearly showing she's only doing 55km/h when the speedo says 60 km/h has convinced her to turn it up just a little bit. She thinks everyone she's holding up is just 'being aggressive' and 'trying to push me off the road'. GAH!

My mother is very similar, drives with the speedo needle right on the number despite copious evidence that it is quite optimistic. Not even a GPS calculation clearly showing she's only doing 55km/h when the speedo says 60 km/h has convinced her to turn it up just a little bit. She thinks everyone she's holding up is just 'being aggressive' and 'trying to push me off the road'. GAH!

My mother no longer owns a car, the roads are a better place for it.

Forgot to post here yesterday, but basically I brought the Kangoo back in a journey down half the M1 and a quarter of the M25. I saw a lot of lulwat, especially since the traffic was heavy, but still easily flowing. Any problems with the flow are clearly caused by obliviots.

One key point is that no matter what Mr. Clarkson may say; the cocks are most definitely still en masse in BMWs. There are a couple in Audis, but also in Passats, Insignias and other such motorway cruisers, but most of them remain in a 3 or 5 series. There was one 7 series, too.

Another thing I'd never really noticed before is Coach drivers are shit as well. At least in observing what's around them - twice coaches pulled out with no indicating and a car worryingly close to their behinds.

today on the highway I had a guy in a smart car tailgate me in the far left lane while I was going 85 I didn't know smart cars could even go that fast. If I had brake checked him before moving over lanes the guy would have died

today on the highway I had a guy in a smart car tailgate me in the far left lane while I was going 85 I didn't know smart cars could even go that fast. If I had brake checked him before moving over lanes the guy would have died

He wasn't tailgaiting he was drafting :p

They can go about 90 or so but after they get to 60 it takes them forever to build up speed. I was once pacing a Smart car on the North Dallas Raceway (aka tollway) and it took him literally two miles to accelerate from a 60mph construction zone speed up to something close to the 85mph prevailing speed of traffic.

I am pretty sure he had the thing floored not only because of the exhaust noise but because there was someone in a Dodge Ram tailgating him (probably for fun) and the Dumb driver had this really panicked look on his face plus he kept looking down at his instruments and switches as if to discover some way to make it go faster.

Last edited:
So today I was driving along this road:

As you can see, each lane is wide enough for two cars to travel side by side (usually there are cars parked along the side), however doing so is illegal due to the lack of markings. Yet today, a woman in a Corolla pulled out in front of me from a side turning and took an age to accelerate to the 60km/h speed limit. She also was driving to the far left of the road (most people drive to the middle or right of the lane, as the cars in the picture are), I assumed because she was going to make a left turn. I sat behind her because I have learned you can never trust white Corollas, so passing her would probably be dangerous. Then, from traveling on the far left hand side of the road, she indicated to move to the right hand side of the lane, then took a right hand turn shortly after.

There's no lane markings there! It's one lane! Don't drive like there's two!

Well, in Hamburg we have a similar road, it's a radial highway so there is almost always heavy traffic. Officially there aren't two lanes per direction since the required minimum width isn't reached, but as everybody knows it most (>90%) people drive next to each other. If there is somebody who drives in the middle of the lane it's almost always someone from a rural landscape indicated by the license plate.

This is just a suburban road and like I said, it usually has cars parked on the side. Nobody drives side by side on it and doing so would be quite dangerous and illegal.

Seen last weekend during a roadtrip down to Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer in France:

"Dum-di-Dum", cruising along closing in on a camper van, but then I suddenly hop onto the hard shoulder...
http://img846.imageshack.**/img846/6831/81940051.jpg

...because I had a look into my mirrors and had seen this one coming up from behind.
http://img37.imageshack.**/img37/6576/45126164.jpg

Surely that camper van has seen him too... or since the siren is blaring now atleast he can hear him...
http://img406.imageshack.**/img406/8351/35127890.jpg

...nope...
http://img594.imageshack.**/img594/3453/29746272.jpg

...not a clue... blind and deaf. :blink: - Oblivious to all of it the camper is dragging the ambulance right on his ass way to next roundabout. WTF? :?
http://img822.imageshack.**/img822/9882/94596802.jpg

Up there we all come to a complete stop before the idiot finally has realised from where that blaring sound maybe could be coming from...
http://img217.imageshack.**/img217/3937/49717340.jpg

...but staggeringly he is still in the way of it half around the roundabout..
http://img805.imageshack.**/img805/8998/48535385.jpg

...before he finally makes room.
http://img850.imageshack.**/img850/4859/41938741.jpg

And off we go.
http://img191.imageshack.**/img191/6792/62092599.jpg

The ambulance drove very smoothly and went onto the breakes very gently so I assume there was a patient and medical staff in the back. - How many times have you been stuck behind a mobile home, yearning to have a siren on your car to blast him to the side? Seems not even that will help with some of the truly greatest assholes of the snail-with-a-shell division.