Stupid Driver Stories

I finally understand why French people have a bad drivers reputation, I never really noticed it while learning to drive and living there, but after 2000km of mostly civilised driving across Europe, the scene I got just after crossing the border back in France was almost comical:

3 lanes of highway, with cars all over the place, passing and crossing and cutting everybody off.

I finally understand why French people have a bad drivers reputation, I never really noticed it while learning to drive and living there, but after 2000km of mostly civilised driving across Europe, the scene I got just after crossing the border back in France was almost comical:

3 lanes of highway, with cars all over the place, passing and crossing and cutting everybody off.

Sounds like US lol.

If everyone in Europe would drive in France for a few days every few years French car sales would plummit, the French tourist industry would go belly up, and I would not be surprised if the place got nuked eventually.....

If everyone in Europe would drive in France for a few days every few years French car sales would plummit, the French tourist industry would go belly up, and I would not be surprised if the place got nuked eventually.....

I see no negatives.

- - - Updated - - -

There was one of those, accelerated to pass me to cut two lanes and exit RIGHT NOW.

We call that the Long Island left/right, cutting across all of the lanes at the last second.

Stupid Driver Stories

Met one of the biggest idiots on the road yesterday.

I was following an e36 316i (or 318, debadged, but puny exhaust) when it suddenly developed a massive leak in the fuel system. It wasn't just dripping, it was leaving a line about 5 centimetres wide behind itself and actually made the road slippery enough for my ESP to come on in some corners. I started flashing the guy and put my hazards on, but he didn't react at all. After turning off and out of town, I kept following him, trying to get him to stop and check the issue, but now he apparently did see me and started flashing on his hazards, weaving left and right and accelerating rapidly, even though we were still within city limits. After we got to a bit of straight road, I went for the overtake and tried gesturing him to stop and then I saw him for what he really was, the stereotypical BMW driver. Spiked hair, sunglasses, even though it was dusk already and on the phone. I rolled my window down to try and tell him he's losing fuel fast, but he just started yelling back at me to fuck off and who the fuck I thought I was and made several attempts to HIT MY CAR!

At that point I just stopped and turned around. I hope you had your fuel canister with you, buddy. You'll need it.

EDIT: I need a dashcam.

Well, what did you expect?

You're an Audi driver and Audis are the natural enemy of the BMW ;) if you'd been in Toyota, he probably would have listened :D

Never underestimate the scary impression you can make on other drivers :p

Last edited:
I have to nominate myself. I misjudged the width of a gap, hit the curb and now my car has a flat tyre. :(

Update: Left tyres both have to be replaced, left front rim suffered a bad scratch that I don't care about. Car will stay at the tyre shop overnight because they don't have the tyres needed in stock.
Pictures will follow in my PYC thread this evening.

Those things can be strange.

Last september I had an accident and crashed both right wheels into a curb (it was the other car's fault); I had two bent and misaligned suspensions, a rim had to be restored, but neither of the tyres had any damage at all. Go figure...

I'm sorry for your tyres, though, I hope they were already worn out.

I had bought them last year, I think. With my driving habit, they would have been good for another four to five years...

The scariest part of the story behind this picture is that this idiot had this truck on the highway in its as-pictured state not two minutes before we came to the light and I could take the picture. If you don't know, this is the rebodied 'rollover era' Ford Explorer that Ford put a short pickup bed on and called the Explorer Sport Trak. While it looked like the upgraded all-new 2002-on Explorer, it was really an old rollover-matic Explorer with a bed grafted on behind the rear passenger seats. Did I mention that it tended to roll over if it blew a tire? Click for max-rez so you can see the 'cargo'

Yes, there are five young teenagers (or perhaps younger) riding in the back of that thing. While riding in the back of a pickup truck is legal in Texas for those over 18 (I.E., adults can choose to do stupid and dangerous things of their own free choice, it's on them), it is strictly prohibited to have someone under 18 in the back on a public road.

It's a shame it had a temp tag on it, because those can't be easily tracked by the cops.

Last edited:
Today when I drove here where all the Taxis are going there was someone coming in the opposite direction, he was about there where the white Golf is. His direction is actually to the left where the green truck drives. Since all three lanes were occupied and nobody intended to let him past he had to turn around.

The scariest part of the story behind this picture is that this idiot had this truck on the highway in its as-pictured state not two minutes before we came to the light and I could take the picture. If you don't know, this is the rebodied 'rollover era' Ford Explorer that Ford put a short pickup bed on and called the Explorer Sport Trak.
Pictured: The correct use of an Explorer Sport Trak.

Yeah. Truck bed full of an oversized, badly stacked pallet of IBM System 370 gear (which weighs approximately 3 million tons).

Stupid Driver Stories

[pedantic] Actually, it's Explorer Sport Trac. [/pedantic]

over here you aren't even allowed to drive a bicycle when your license is suspended

there have been cases of 16yo being drunk on their bicycle, the cops stop them, bring them to court, and the judge ruled the day they get their license, they have to come bring it in for 2 weeks...

and that makes me pissed on so many levels!!
there is no registration, no MOT, nothing for bicycles, but you can't drive one drunk? i don't think cops would stop someone on a segway because he drank too much?
but worst...if you kill someone when you're 16, the moment you become 18, your record is cleared!
be drunk at 16, and you're punished once you turn 18?