Stupid Driver Stories

Oh yeah, just remembered another thing. I hate people in front of me who don't go over 40mph on interstate onramps and wait until they're actually on the interstate to pick up speed, leaving me in my Disco to accelerate to almost twice my speed and merge in a very short time into traffic going about 70.

[RANT]Oh, I hear ya! In Victoria most freeway on-ramps have the speed limit (100kmh) about half way down/up the ramp. What shits me is when the person (even people, numerous cars in front. ARGH!!!!!) still only drives at 60, making it hella dangerous to merge properly.

Even worse than going slow on the on ramp is when a car stops. That's right, stop, 0kmh on a freeway on-ramp, waiting for a gap to open up. That's just downright dangerous. I've seen this done many times, they should be shot for being such idiots. I find freeway merging dead easy because I always make sure I'm doing 90/100kmh so I can merge and not cause an accident.

People on mobile phones shit me too. You have two hands. They are for driving, use them. I lose count of how many people (mainly tradies and young girls. sorry, but it's true) talking or texting while they're driving! Obviously the $136 fine and 3 points isn't enough to deter them!

Idiots driving at 80kmh in the right lane (our outside lane) on the freeway. I wish Australians had lane courtesy like the Euros. If you're not doing the speed limit or a little more, stay in the left/middle lanes!!!

Also, making a right turn at traffic lights without a right turn arrow. Obviously I have to wait for all the on-coming traffic to go before I can turn, so this generally means waiting till it's orange. You get the tools that think they'll just sneak through right at the moment when it turns red, leaving me hanging in the middle of the intersection turning on a red when the direction I want to go already has a green!!![/RANT]

I'm sure the Melbourne members of this board will agree with me that these are all daily occurences in Melbourne. All this shit driving is even more-so highlighted when I ride my 16km to/from Uni 3 days a week. Terrible!!

Last edited:
mines pretty stupid, last week, while on the way home I got a flat tyre. I know how to changed a tyre properly but because of my stupidity, I turned the nut and bolt holding the tire clockwise( as opposed to counter clockwise). then while I was trying to put the spare tire on, something didnt feel right. it was the time I notice that the ALL bolts have been broken :lol:.

mines pretty stupid, last week, while on the way home I got a flat tyre. I know how to changed a tyre properly but because of my stupidity, I turned the nut and bolt holding the tire clockwise( as opposed to counter clockwise). then while I was trying to put the spare tire on, something didnt feel right. it was the time I notice that the ALL bolts have been broken :lol:.

Nice.:lol:

kajun]Oh yeah, just remembered another thing. I hate people in front of me who don't go over 40mph on interstate onramps and wait until they're actually on the interstate to pick up speed, leaving me in my Disco to accelerate to almost twice my speed and merge in a very short time into traffic going about 70.

I HATE THAT SHIT! You have no idea how much that happens around here. Where I'm from, everyone uses the on-ramps to test their 0-60 times. Here, people couldn't be bothered to speed up, even when they are finally on the highway, they just LOVE to get in front of a trucker doing 70 and make him slow down so they can get on. Then take the next 20 minutes to get up to speed. Within a half hour they are a complete asshole on the road and realize that because they couldn't be bothered to drive properly earlier, they are late and now have to be a moron and get no where fast.

"ASSHOLE!"

I've never seen so many people willing to run red lights than I have till I moved here. And it's not even like a slightly to late, misjudged the yellow kind either. I've seen people 15-20 seconds after the light has changed and people gone through the intersection and someone blasts through the red.

Anyhow, I've got plenty of idiots to mention, but I can't remember them all.

#1: The more recent event I can recall is of a guy sitting with 12 cars behind him at a left turn signal waiting for the light to change as we all do. Well when the light changes he doesn't go, so the car behind him honks, he gets all pissy and ignores the guy and the guy does it again. He gets out of the car and gets ready to beat some ass, the people behind him say "Go it's been green!" He gets that apologetic look on his face and gets back in the car.

#2 My mother... I fear for the residents of Denver/Aurora because of her. On one of her many (failed) attempts at drunk driving, she was pulled over for "driving without a wheel" She literally did not have a wheel on the drivers side rear. It was grinding the brake rotor. To top it off she said "I never noticed a problem!"

#3 One of my uncles feels that an empty sidewalk is a lane just built for him. Citizens of Long Beach have felt much safer since he left.

#4 Chicago... thats all that needs to be said. While I've never been to Italy, from what I've heard (and video's of seen of their driving) Chicago drivers are very similar.

#5 There is some kind of rule here in the midwest and it goes something like this "The bigger the truck you drive, the faster you have to travel on the highway. The bigger/heavier the load, you go faster, and you have to tailgate and get as close to the people in front of you as possible. If the visibility is low due to massive rain showers, or bad ice/snow coming down, you go even faster." The theme here is, to be as dangerous as you could possibly be to others with a big heavy vehicle.

I've seen plenty of people here with Dually Ford diesels towing HUGE boats with single axle trailers (I cringe every time I see a single axle trailer next to me), doing 75-80 mph on the freeway when the rest of traffic is forced down to speeds of 40 (on a 70mph road) because of weather conditions.

#6 At the street races with a friend a few years back. My friend was driving, and we lost track of where our friends were in another car, so he got up to about 95 on the road everyone was racing on. He did this on the far side near the curb, where there was a good amount of dust and dirt covering the road (enough to make it slippery). In front of us is a bunch of cars parked on the side of the road in front of us. Once he finally spots them, he slams on his brakes (No ABS) and only because of the quick reactions of the owner of a Toyota 4 runner (saw us coming, jumped in his truck and bolted) did we avoid hitting any cars.

That's all I got for now.

Last edited:
Oh my god I do not know where to start...

Finland is considered to be somewhat of a promised land of racing drivers, but there is a catch: every single rallycar- and Formula 1 driver comes from outside of Helsinki, the capitol of my not so beloved country. People living and driving in Helsinki are the biggest morons in the universe with no comprehension whatsoever what the words "traffic", "movin" or "other motorists" mean.

1. Interstate onramps.....my god the times I have nearly died of heartattacks can't be listed. Now what a normal, reasonable driver would do is speed up to the speed limit, maybe a bit past it in order to make a safe entry to the traffic flow, yes ? But here ?? Noooooooooo way. It is either on of two things: you make a complete stop in the "acceleration lane" (I have no clue what the correct word is, basically the onramp continues on a bit, to make the entry even easier) while other people are coming at you with speeds from 40 to 60mph. The other option is to just blindly change lanes, without a turning signal, of course. I mean what the fuck ?!? The traffic is moving at about 60mph/100kmh and some people just assume they can swerve their car around regardless of the amount of other people around them.

2. Lane changing in general. Oh shit this is something that I just don't get. It,s mirror, turning signal, wait for space and go. But not in here it isn't. If a finnish person wants to change lanes, they DON'T use the turning signal and again just turn the wheel as if no one is beside them. And even worse if I want to change lanes, properly look that there is enough space for a bus, turning signal on and start to go. And then suddenly some jackass decides that they will not tolerate me getting in front of them and speed up blocking my lane change and then hang on right there to prevent me from coming in front of them. This is a thing that makes my blood boil every single day, today was actually the last time this happened. I wanted to change lanes and it literally took me 100m at a speed of 20mph, because some fucking moron didn't want me in front of him when there was more than enough space.

3. The concept of moving forward is completely nonexistent to finns. Finnish people have the idea, that traffic is a place to take a nap or have a family picnic. Not even by accident does someone realise, that getting where I want to be is sort of the reason why I am driving at that moment. For example something as simple as pulling off when the light goes green. It is every single day that I have to wake some idiot up with my horn, because after 5-10 seconds they are still standig there, looking at the bright green light. And the general speed of the traffic is ssslooooooow. I am not encouraging anyone to speed, but why is it so god damn difficult to drive at the speed of the speed limit ?? If the speed limit is 50km/h, why would you drive at 35km/h ???

4. And now for the most, by FAAAAR the most irritating thing about finnish drivers: everyone thinks they are the police. And I do mean everyone. This is most obvious when driving on motorways/highways where the speedlimit is in between 80-120km/h, depending on the road in question. Finnish people drive along the left lane at exactly 80km/h, with 5 miles of cars behind them, completely disregarding the blinking lights and sounds of horns the people behind them are producing. If I want to drive at 100km/h on a 80km/h zone, it should be my problem and the police's problem. NOT the fucking twat in the Toyota Corolla in front of me. It just happens to be so that, there is an unwritte rule, that says, that the left lane is for those that want to drive faster and then the right lane for those who want drive at the speed of the speed limit.

Nggghhhh.....and ALL of the above mentioned are something I have to deal with many, many times on a daily basis. Not every month, or week.....every single day. You have no clue what is horrible driving until you've driven in Helsinki. Sure Italy or France are more dangerous and challenging places to drive and the UK perhaps slower, but when looking for the most unable driving nation, look no further. It's here. I am sorry for the amount of curse words, but my blood is boiling even now when I'm writing about these things.

And I should mention that, I do drive more agressively, than the average person here, but I do not risk other people's safety in any way and I don't do actually stupid and dangerous things, like sudden lane changes without a turning signal. So this is not another boyracer saying that everyone should drive through cities at 100km/h. I drive with the intention of actually getting somewhere in time.

[RANT]
Even worse than going slow on the on ramp is when a car stops. That's right, stop, 0kmh on a freeway on-ramp, waiting for a gap to open up. That's just downright dangerous. I've seen this done many times, they should be shot for being such idiots. I find freeway merging dead easy because I always make sure I'm doing 90/100kmh so I can merge and not cause an accident.

You would of hated the m1 today then, ferntree gully road enterance at about 9:30 pure shit

I detest people double parking (parking on the street with the indicators on), but a couple of months ago I came across an even worse behaviour!
I enter a street and in front of me is a car double parked. I can't overtake since there is traffic coming onwards me. Whilst I'm waiting the owner comes out of a shop with some groceries. I wait beacuse the traffic keeps coming, and the row of cars behind me keeps growin larger and more impatient. Several minutes pass, and the car still hasn't moved in inch. When I can finally overtake I look at the driver and it turns out that he has just made himself a sandwich which he's eating. This act of serious asocial behaviour is even made worse, when I see that 10 meters in front of that car, there is an empty parking space!

Finnish people LOVE to drive in your blind spots. The morons fucking love it. Specially if you are trying to join the motorway. You try to slow down, they slow down with you, accelerate and they do it too. It is allways a stupid Mercedes or a Corolla. Usually a Mercedes... The besta way to drive safely in Finland is to drive a beaten up old hatch. Nobody will fuck with you.

Then again, if you drive a new small hatchbact, you are a target. For Mercedes and toyota drivers especially.

Oh.... about the people that are driving too slowly while joining traffic on the motorway... my lovely mom drives like that... allways joins at 60km/h :( I try to tell her to step on it but her defence is, "It isn't bothering anyone" During summer times when there is no snow on the roads and grip is good, she's OK. But as winter comes my mom turns into a stereotype woman drver. ^_^
She is a good driver overall, I just wish she would stop fearing winter... we live in Finland afterall^^ :p

Last edited:
Finnish people LOVE to drive in your blind spots.

I HATE people that do that. (Therefor I hate the Finnish :p j/k). I try and make sure that any side of me is clear enough for me to panic brake, or swerve, unfortunately it takes a lot of work here since so many people think it's a good idea to sit in the blind spot! Especially of 18 wheel trucks.

Why would anyone want to cruise along side of an 18 wheeler is beyond me.

So they can imitate a certain stunt from the Fast and the Furious?

#4 Chicago... thats all that needs to be said. While I've never been to Italy, from what I've heard (and video's of seen of their driving) Chicago drivers are very similar.

How do Italians drive? Chicago isn't that bad; it just takes some getting used to. The drivers here tend to be aggressive, but it isn't complete mayhem.

My mother would stop on the onramp to a highway and wait for her spot to open up (as other have mentioned here). But when she's driving and sees someone on the shoulder punch it to get back on the road she flips out and says it's "unsafe" and "they should have just pulled off at the next exit to do what they had to do, and not on the side of the road", ya know assuming it wasn't an emergency. I always found that funny, because there is absolutly no difference.

I sat in my (Italian) uncle's porsche and he carved up the mountain roads in the Emiglia-Romagna and Molise. All I can say is that Italians drive better than Americans. Sitting in that 1977 Porsche when I was 10 years old was what made me an enthusiast.

An idiot in a Ford Aerostar thought it was a brilliant idea to drive talking with a cellphone. Thats fine if he drove normally but oh no. Every single intersection he stops, it didn't matter if it had a green light he suddenly becomes stationary. A poor guy behind had to slam his brakes because he did this at an intersection located at the bottom of the hill. He did this at the next intersection too and he wasn't even lost. Clarkson was quite right in this case when he said "suddenly becoming stationary, thats what gets you".

Things I hate:

Drivers who cut you off and then proceed to go slower than you were originally and don't intend to make any turns at all. I don't know why but 90% of these guys who do this to me are Camry drivers particularly of the newer kinds, I get lots of respect from guys driving pre-Toyota logo cars. I think they're jealous of my car.

Drivers who drive slowly, once you pass them they tailgate you until they can pass you to go slowly again. Last person that did this to me was in a Mercedes C, when he had the chance it took him 2 minutes to catch up and pass me, he had to go a good 40 km/h extra than me or 50 over the limit. I think his car had some engine issues when it comes to acceleration but he looked so angry that an old Toyota passed him which was all I needed for a smile.

Toronto/GTA Honda drivers...I don't know why but a lot of the unskilled and overly aggressive drivers here like Hondas. Don't get me wrong some Honda drivers drive properly but theres so many bad ones here I take more precautions when I see a Honda badge. I just know I'll be tailgated and cut off by the younger ones while the older ones attempt to push me into the wrong side of traffic or just ignore right of ways completely.

I was riding in a big delivery rig, looked down at the car beside us at the stoplight and the driver was huffing paint thinner.

Paint thinner. While driving.

LOLZ.

How do Italians drive? Chicago isn't that bad; it just takes some getting used to. The drivers here tend to be aggressive, but it isn't complete mayhem.

I've always heard (from unhh 2 people, and plenty of video's over the years), that Italians are just nuts on the road, and road signs are more of a suggestion than a requirement. TG has also joked that it is impossible to get a ticket for a driving offense in the country, if that means anything to you.

As far as Chicago drivers go. My mom's boyfriend is one, and it's one of 2 times I've ever been scared in my life in the passenger seat of a car. Using turn only lanes to get around other cars crossing an intersection. I.e. holding up traffic in the right turn only late when your at the front so you can bolt ahead of the guy in the intersection to get across the street. I've seen this quite a few times on my last trip to Chicago.

No care for anyone else on the road, but at least they know their are there. Driving like you're in really thick/bad traffic even when there are only 8 cars on the road. And what I mean by that, is constantly changing lanes to get around everyone. I watched 4 people do it like it was a game of leap frog while trying to get the hell out of the state.

I have a really horrible memory so I can't recall what else (perhaps I was traumatized :p ) but I know by the time we got in to town, all we could do was wish we were out of it.

I've felt safer driving in TJ (Tijuana), Mexico in a BMW with brand new paint than I did in that town.

I have loads, but only have one for the moment: a crash we had when I was a kid. We were on vacation with the family and our old Ford Taunus 1.6. I remember it as if it were yesterday. We were going along a totally straight piece of road in the city (doing maybe 55 km/h (35mph)), the visibility was superb, everything was fine. Then I saw a small Fiat 500, standing in the lane coming towards us waiting to cross our lane turning left. I remember I wondered why he was waiting, cause the road was free, he could have easily done his turn. But he waited until we were close, and then took the turn. My dad slammed on the brakes, but we hit him.
Fortunately, the speed was low enough for nobody to get hurt. We all got out of our cars, and the driver of the Fiat, a small italian guy, immediately babbled away. The police was called and came fairly quickly. For them, the case was pretty clear already. What nobody could understand is how the guy could not have seen us, on a sunny day, driving a shiny red car. Then he said he suffers from amblyopia. The police officer asked him if he has glasses, he replied he has contact lenses. And when the officer asked him where he has them, he pulled a small box out of his pocket. :?

i was doing 70+ on a country road that i was unfamiliar with and it was covered in dense fog.

it was down hill, but kinked up ward at the very end for the junction. opposite the junction an small embankment topped with bushes.

i had driven the opposite way down the road earlier, on the way back i misjudged how long the road actually was, so i approached a junction, with an opposing hedge, in thick fog at 70+

i have never pressed the brake pedal so hard ever...., my car hasnt got abs, but they didnt lock up at all which is reasuring. i ended up about a foot from the embankment/ thankfully it was late at night, else i could of then got broadsided by a car coming down the road i was parked across lol.

[RANT]Oh, I hear ya! In Victoria most freeway on-ramps have the speed limit (100kmh) about half way down/up the ramp. What shits me is when the person (even people, numerous cars in front. ARGH!!!!!) still only drives at 60, making it hella dangerous to merge properly.

People on mobile phones shit me too. You have two hands. They are for driving, use them. I lose count of how many people (mainly tradies and young girls. sorry, but it's true) talking or texting while they're driving! Obviously the $136 fine and 3 points isn't enough to deter them!

Idiots driving at 80kmh in the right lane (our outside lane) on the freeway. I wish Australians had lane courtesy like the Euros. If you're not doing the speed limit or a little more, stay in the left/middle lanes!!!

Also, making a right turn at traffic lights without a right turn arrow. Obviously I have to wait for all the on-coming traffic to go before I can turn, so this generally means waiting till it's orange. You get the tools that think they'll just sneak through right at the moment when it turns red, leaving me hanging in the middle of the intersection turning on a red when the direction I want to go already has a green!!![/RANT]

I'm sure the Melbourne members of this board will agree with me that these are all daily occurences in Melbourne. All this shit driving is even more-so highlighted when I ride my 16km to/from Uni 3 days a week. Terrible!!

My girlfriend told me about this stopping to zero on an onramp thing... she says its a common site in Singapore as the highway is so busy that some people cannot get out. But I think that's just dangerous, once you stop to zero... unless you're driving a 200+hp car... there is no one you can get back into traffic safely without causing anyone to brake quite hard.

And people on the fast lane... I'm much more courteous here compared to Malaysia, I stay quite far behind (not 3 secs but about 2)... just place my right indicator on, and I get idiots who either get annoyed with that and brake test me!! (I was not close to that guy, I didn't flash him and I only did the right indicator thing when he had room on the left)... and I'm not a guy who likes overtaking on the left, seen too many accidents with people doing that as people generally don't check their mirrors when merging back.

And the worse is #*($ tram drivers who think they own a road, I was doing a hook-turn and the lights turned red so I checked my mirror for any red-light runners, wanted to go and next thing I know, a @(*$ tram crosses the intersection "dinging" the crap out of me when they completely blew a red light.