Stupid enviormentalists have invaded my school! (Post whatever here..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carsightings

[This thread turned into a shit box, so just post whatever the hell you want until this thread gets closed in 8 hours.]

Jesus!

A bunch of enviormnentalists have invaded my high school! They didnt come in for the day they are here for the week! 3 hours a day of their crazy shit!

What they basiclly told us is that the blame for global warming can be laid entirely at the door of Land Rover whose cars, we keep being told, are putting a brake on the Gulf Stream, melting the snow on Kilimanjaro and peppering the southern oceans with icebergs the size of Texas.

After that we were told a story of a young kind who somehow managed to total a 2004 3 series while doing 100kph on a straight road after crashing into a lamp post. He killed himself and another 2 people in the car.

Then they told us to use public transport and save the planet!

OMG! If only I had clarkson with me 8)

They also told us that we sould always drive a little below the speed limit and keep a safe distance from cars in front of us. Now about keeping a distance i agree 100% but driving below the speed limit!?!? :bangin: I really dont think some extra speed can do much damage. Plus, if the road is good and there is a good distance between you and the car ahed then whats wrong with driving a little but faster?

What I want is your opinion. Does speed really cause a lot of accidents? Do cars really kill our planet? Just give me anything I can throw back at these idiots.

thanks a lot.

one last thing i read james piece in the last top gear mag and that was a big help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell em' to go play "hide and go fuck yourselves", you don't need to listen to those dickheads.

I won't agree with you that 'a little extra speed won't hurt' because thats proven not to be true. But stay to the speed limit and you should be safe...you really don't need to drive under the speed limit unless its pissing with rain out there.

"Speed doesn't kill. It's the stopping instantly that does."... Or at least that's similar to what Clarkson said.

No, speed doesn't kill in essence, speed does kill however when you have a moron behind the wheel of a car they don't how to control, are on a road they don't know or are just being total morons (ie: excessive speeding in side streets, speeding on crowded roads, street racing)

Ok, the cars killing the planet thing? Well, it would help if dick heads didn't buy off roaders that congest our roads and only ever use them in the city, that'd be a start. If people were educated on how diesels aren't just trucks and workhorse vehicles it'd be good too as they emit less CO2. But in the long term, cars don't do much. Cows do more by farting and then there's industry (coal comes to mind).

whats the idea behind 4x4s? you can get ones like the rav4,xc90,x3 etc that have the same engine size as a car. the extra weight might cause it to burn up more fuel but so what?So what if i want to spend more money on fuel?so what if i want to use a little bit more? The weight isnt killing the planet since i think it can support them. So is it the fact that they are 4 wheel drive? Whey the hell are they telling me where my engine needs to send its power to. And where does it stop?is a evo a 4x4?is a quattro audi a 4x4? what is a 4x4 and what isnt? this 4x4 issue is getting on my nerves.

I think their gripe is with WHY people buy them. If you need to go offroad, and offroader is a good thing to have but the problem is that people are buying them just for day-to-day use in the city. Reasons? - Higher ride height, more space, people think they're safer and manufacturers are marketing their cars to be more stylish and very 'car-like' so the prospect of buying a 4X4 increases for people, in particular families.

I don't like offroaders if people don't take them offroad. The environmentalists point is that people buy 4X4's for the reasons listed above but essentially, all they do is drive in the city and as a result of the higher weight of the 4X4, they chew up more fuel than if people were to simply buy a sedan or estate equivelant.

watto said:
"Speed doesn't kill. It's the stopping instantly that does."... Or at least that's similar to what Clarkson said.

It's not the speed that kills. It's suddenly becomeing stationary. (At least I think that's what it was..)

Carsightings: *GOT PICS?* :D

sry, couldn't help it ..

haz

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
I don't like offroaders if people don't take them offroad. The environmentalists point is that people buy 4X4's for the reasons listed above but essentially, all they do is drive in the city and as a result of the higher weight of the 4X4, they chew up more fuel than if people were to simply buy a sedan or estate equivelant.

Yep, that's my reasoning behind hating 4WD's. If I was ever to buy a 4WD it would be because I went bush bashing, lived in the outback, had a farm etc etc.And it would be a Nissan Patrol 4.2 diesel, cos diesel rules for off roading I see so many people in Melbourne driving X3/5's, Prado's, Landcruisers, Land Rovers, Range Rovers and so on and just think, 1: Sucks to be paying that fuel bill (most of the ones I see are petrol) 2: My car is nippier than yours in city traffic 3: You idiot.

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:

I totally agree with that. My Mum and Dad both have 4x4s but that's because they need them as they are farmers so the vehicle does actually go off road.

In the UK they are thinking of putting really high tax on new 4x4s. Now my Mum is in need of a new motor but she may have to pay this high tax rate although a 4x4 is a requirement of the buisiness. How unfair is that?

Most of the people I see driving 4x4s in this country are people who are quite old. Why drive a big car like that when you are old? You have less judgement skills so a smaller car would make sense.

if they told you to drive below the speed limit they're idiots and i'd ignore everything else they said. driving below the speed limit encourages road rage, especially if you're driving on a one lane road. you must drive at the speed limit, no less and maybe a bit more.
and about how cars harm the environment, there is no denying that. but the damage they make is so little compared to the damage of factories and domestic use.

speeding does make the road more dangerous, but on contrast I believe Speeding camera's do NOT solve the issue with speeding or reduce road accidents. To all of you who's had a speeding ticket, how many of you or someone you know have had an accidents where the speeding camera is?

Carsightings said:
whats the idea behind 4x4s? you can get ones like the rav4,xc90,x3 etc that have the same engine size as a car. the extra weight might cause it to burn up more fuel but so what?So what if i want to spend more money on fuel?

I don't think you quite understand the fuel consumption difference. Just because a 4x4 has the same engine as a standard saloon, doesn't mean that it's not consuming more fuel or anything. A 4x4 with the same engine as a saloon will consume much more fuel. Granted you do seem to understand that a bit, but it's just how much. I've seen figures showing that around town a 4x4 will use up to 1.5x as much fuel as a similarily specced saloon! That's quite significant. And not just in terms of cost of fuel but also emissions etc. The engine has to work that much harder to get the extra weight shifted.

Being a car nut, I don't want to sound 100% on the side of the environmentalists, but some of the stuff they shout about does make sense... As others have said, the driving of 4x4s around towns and cities doesn't make sense at all. The 4x4 was originally designed to be used off-road (the original Land Rovers are abysmal on the road). But these days a high percentage of them never see mud/sand.

As for driving under the speed limit. Hmmm, well - the speed limit is an advisory top speed, so everyone that says you should drive at or just above the speed limit in truth you shouldn't really. But then I do too so I do kind of agree but at the same time I don't have a problem with people who drive 30mph in a 40mph zone. It is occasionally the case that the person driving is not confident enough to drive at 40 in which case, fine - don't want them having an accident for the sake of 10mph.
The point of a speed limit is an advisory - you then adjust according to the conditions. If it's pouring with rain and I'm passing a school (a 30mph zone usually) and it's end of school day so kids are leaving, I usually slow down to 20 just because I don't fancy the idea of killing a kid for the sake of 10 mph...
Sure, as I said I do go a little over at times, but only when the conditions are right.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's a lovely sunny day outside and my car is just begging to be driven... 8)

Edit: Andy, I've got a mate who had an accident because he saw a speed camera, hit the brakes to go from his 35 to 30 and got rear ended by the guy behind him who was driving too close...
Yep, I really cannot see the point of most speed cameras. Granted again in places where there are lots of pedestrians (i.e. outside schools) at the times they're busy (i.e. school leaving time), but not on a long straight A-road at 1 am (seen one of these flash someone).

Stupid enviromentalist. What right do they have to tell what we do with our money that they dont have. Its not like they are scientist who have done extensive research on the subject

And back to the point, what waste the car produces is nothing compared to anything else like the cows.

Carsightings, did you atleast storm out in disgust? Viva la Automobile!

Speed never killed anybody, suddenly becoming stationary, thats what will get you.

So these people are lecturing you and taking time away from real classes? if i where you i would just get up and leave, thats what i did when we where forced to see a presentation from two greenpeace girls, half the class left right after it was great!

Carsightings - You have all the ammo to take dem fools down! Don't walk off - CHALLANGE THEM!

Oh its on baby :evil:

im not an environmentalist by any means, but i do get pissed when i see a soccer mom driving her ONE kid in her H2 to school. all this gas is being wasted unnecessarily

What's going on here. It's not stupid to care about the environment.

As long as you don't make stupid claims or demand extremes it's something everyone should have concern for. To be honest they do have a few valid points. Driving a SUV just for the sake of it is stupid. There's no point denying that. bartboy9891 made a pretty good point here and I agree 100% with him.

And why exactly is public transportation so looked down upon ? Over here it's pretty decent and a valid alternative to cars. That might not be the case where you live but that doesn't mean that it can't be an alternative.

Do you guys really thing it's reasonable to take your car to the Supermarkets every time, even if it's only 500m away ? We're already pretty wasteful with our resources and this won't help at all. Trust me, it won't kill you to get out the bicycle every once in a while.

Hey Carsightings, why don't you suggest your country as a waypoint for the next Gumball?! I'm sure there's some petrolheads that would be quite happy to bring some special "donuts" to school! :twisted:

Whatever happened to freedom of choice? If someone likes the look, feel and image of a 4x4 let them have one, and do what they want....

Status
Not open for further replies.