Stupid enviormentalists have invaded my school! (Post whatever here..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greatgraddage said:
Whatever happened to freedom of choice? If someone likes the look, feel and image of a 4x4 let them have one, and do what they want....

The problem with that is, the people who buy them. They can't drive in the first place, and to give them a tall, heavy brick to send thundering down the highway at 80mph+ with shitty brakes is not safe for anyone.
On top of that, in the states they tend to buy the biggest heaviest ones. The vehicles tend to exceed the weight capacity of the roads in many cities, and destroy the roads. This means more money, and environmental damage since you gotta repair/replace the roads all the time. And what sucks is, by buying these big ass cars, they get tax breaks!

-------------------------

Next time someone goes on about global warming, remind them that the research isn't consistant. Thats usually a sign of it being fucked with.

As far as going to faster, someone posted a video on here once, of an Aussie ad campaign. It depicted a truck running a light, and 2 cars having to panic brake. One car was doing 5kph over the other, and had significant more damage.
More speed means more energy to disipate before you stop. Shouldn't be to much of a problem though, if your an attentive and intelligent driver. Something many people aren't.

While environmentalists demand a bit much...like their complaints on JC harming that mountain in the Land Rover, they are a necessary evil. Anyone who's ever been to LA, California 10 years ago or earlier will know how beneficial they can be. I'm sure most of the Californian's will bitch about the smog laws.*

Plus the other side of that is, the car industry seems to have figured out how to give us what we want. Being low smog vehicles, with loads of power. Without environmentalists, we'd still just have the power, but from smogy cars.

To the guy who said his parents have 2 4x4s, and use them for farm work. Hopefully for their sake, the law will take into account those who actually use them for business.

In the states, theres a fucked up loophole in our tax laws, that give people a massive tax brake for buying a H2, Suburban, Range Rover etc... infact it's a bigger tax deduction than owning a hybrid.

*For those not in Cali, the laws basically state it's illegal to modify the car in anyway, unless modifications have a certification from the company who makes them thru testing with CARB (California Air Resource Board).

As said before, why do you need a HUGE SUV to drive your small kid to school? You are essentially using twice the gas to get somewhere just as safe in a small minivan or saloon/4-door. F-ing rediculous. You don't need to drive over mountains to get your kid to school.

jayjaya29 said:
As said before, why do you need a HUGE SUV to drive your small kid to school? You are essentially using twice the gas to get somewhere just as safe in a small minivan or saloon/4-door. F-ing rediculous. You don't need to drive over mountains to get your kid to school.

That's just like saying you should sell your Enzo and buy a Prius just because you're never going to need all that speed

Alas, you have a point. I figured that out after I made that post. I have no counter-arguement, but I still hate SUVs.

matt_shaw said:
That's just like saying you should sell your Enzo and buy a Prius just because you're never going to need all that speed

Hmmm, don't think many Enzo owners do the school run. And I do think a higher percentage of Enzo's get to see the track than 4x4s getting to see some off-road action...
But yeah, I do kind of see your point. It's just there's somewhat more 4x4s clogging up our roads than Supercars.
Believe me, when all the school mums start driving supercars, everyone will be having a go at the supercar owners instead! :)

jayjaya29 said:
Alas, you have a point. I figured that out after I made that post. I have no counter-arguement, but I still hate SUVs.

I hear ya, brother.

jayjaya29 said:

While Mr. Shaw nailed it on the head, you neglect one other thing...
How many "4x4 off-roaders" can actually offroad? Or for that matter actually have 4 wheel drive? Many of them can't even off-road worth a damn.

I've seen cases where SUV's come in handy. The Chevy suburban was original ment for these people, then someones accountant found out there is a tax loop for those who buy them, and here we are now.

I'd love for the world to be void of most SUV's. Not all though, because rock crawling and trophy trucks are cool.

Yeah, I don't like the SUV's that can't even go off road. My dad has a Grand Jeep Cherokee which I love to drive because it's really big and has a beefy V8 which makes me feel like god on the road; Jeeps can off road though so no hatin' there

Greatgraddage said:
Whatever happened to freedom of choice? If someone likes the look, feel and image of a 4x4 let them have one, and do what they want....

there was a big story here in israel several weeks ago about some rich lawyer who had a VW touareg and he smashed into a fiat punto which was waiting at a red light. the lawyer came out of the accident without a scratch, and claimed that he "didn't remember" what happened and why he didn't brake. meanwhile the passengers of the fiat punto, a 22 year old mother and her son of 6, who immigrated here several months before and were struggling to get citizenships, were killed on the spot.

the problem is that people who buy SUV don't know how to handle them and how to be more causious with their extra weight. they're just ticking bombs that will kill us normal people sooner or later.

osabros said:
the problem is that people who buy SUV don't know how to handle them and how to be more causious with their extra weight. they're just ticking bombs that will kill us normal people sooner or later.
So how is that any different than a 600+hp supercar? Hell, you don't even need a supercar or an SUV to be able to kill someone else on the road. To say that all SUVs will kill us eventually is the automotive equivalent of putting tin foil on your head because Xenu is reading our thoughts.

The arguments take the piss. If SUVs should be banned so should supercars, for generally similar reasons. Hands up who wants supercars banned. No? Thought not.

However there are far far far less supercars then there are SUVs. And there are good substitutes for SUVs (minivans work great, if not better, and they use less gas).

matt_shaw said:
jayjaya29 said:

but there is a huge difference between NEED and USE. If for instance you live downtown and commute solely to places within a few miles of your home, then you definately dont need a supercar. More so, you wont even be able to use the supercar like it was meant to be used.

Most people that buy SUV's around where I live neither Need nor Use their SUV's at all. At my school for instance, there are many girls that drive large SUV's because their parents assume that they are safer than normal cars. But most of them only fill one of the seven seats available, and theyve never even seen a dirt road.

Rather than sitting there trying to be mini-Clarkson and calling them dickheads, what are YOU doing to help the planet?

They may be a bit disoriented and passionate about their subject, but atleast they're not self-centered. This goes out to everyone criticising environmentalists. We should ALL be environmentalists, because this planet isn't going to sustain us and our ways for too long. Trying to deny that by hiding behind studies funded by big oil companies is useless.

If it is even possible for us to ruin this planet by the time that happens we would have moved to other planets so i dont see why everyone should walk around on egg shells when there really isnt a problem.

BlaRo said:
osabros said:
So how is that any different than a 600+hp supercar? Hell, you don't even need a supercar or an SUV to be able to kill someone else on the road. To say that all SUVs will kill us eventually is the automotive equivalent of putting tin foil on your head because Xenu is reading our thoughts.
Greatgraddage said:
The arguments take the piss. If SUVs should be banned so should supercars, for generally similar reasons. Hands up who wants supercars banned. No? Thought not.

1. i never said supercars in the wrong hands were safe.
2. supercars are much rarer than SUV so they're less of a danger.
3. supercars are MUCH safer than SUVs in a crash. in an SUV if you'll have to swerve for something there is a serious danger that the car will fall over. SUVs need a lot more space to brake than regular cars, not to mention supercars. and SUVs weigh a lot more than supercars so the cause a lot more damage in accidents, plus the higher ground clearance which means that the SUV will climb over the other car rather then just crash into it like a supercar.

and BlaRo about the other thread you linked to, if the guy in the SLR were in an SUV the guy in the golf and his wife would've been killed on the spot!

osabros said:
1. i never said supercars in the wrong hands were safe.
2. supercars are much rarer than SUV so they're less of a danger.
3. supercars are MUCH safer than SUVs in a crash. in an SUV if you'll have to swerve for something there is a serious danger that the car will fall over. SUVs need a lot more space to brake than regular cars, not to mention supercars. and SUVs weigh a lot more than supercars so the cause a lot more damage in accidents, plus the higher ground clearance which means that the SUV will climb over the other car rather then just crash into it like a supercar.

The swerve problem is not much of an issue any more. It also affects other cars, such as an A class. Ban them too?

And the weight in a crash issue, did you see 5th gears (highly biased and shit) crash test? The suv came off worse. The ground clearence issue works the other way as well, the super car will force the other car up more, possibly inducing a roll. The people can't handle the car argument applies to anything, even to lorrys, which will do more damage than an suv. Lets ban lorrys as well.

Why do people eat chocolate biscuits? Normal biscuits do the same job and arn't as bad for you. Lets ban chocolate biscuits.

And so on.

If it is even possible for us to ruin this planet by the time that happens we would have moved to other planets so i dont see why everyone should walk around on egg shells when there really isnt a problem.

Ok, so moving to Mars and co. is just around the corner :lol:
I think you are overestimating the skills of our great saviors the schientists.

But back on topic. I think the enviromentalists in general do have a point, but the ones at carsightings school are taking a completely wrong approach to this.
IMO it's lame blaming it on some single more or less minor factors like SUV's and speeding. They need to look at the big picture.
Oh, and AWD systemes use more fuel because more energi is absorbed and wasted in the extra gears, links and diffs.
Speeding is normally a bad idea, espicially in closely populated areas. But there is some pleases, atleast in Denmark, where I think it would be no problem going 10 - 20 % faster than the limit.

Greatgraddage said:
And the weight in a crash issue, did you see 5th gears (highly biased and shit) crash test? The suv came off worse.

i didn't see that, what episode is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.