Subaru BRZ Spark Plugs - Are these actually unobtanium?

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Subarus and shit
So this is one of the more absurd things I've ever butt my head against.

2013 Subaru BRZ. I need spark plugs. There is a bunch of Internet Herpaderp about the OEM plugs being NGK (or maybe Denso) heat range 9, but I don't find it particularly trustworthy because none of those people appears to have

Subaru wants $25 per plug. How about no?

However:
Rockauto has no listing.
Napa has no listing.
Advance lists 97 different Small Engine spark plugs that are clearly totally hella wrong.

Googling just returns a bunch of people whining about how the engine has to be lifted to change the plugs.

Dealer part numbers are 22401AA801 and/or 22401AA800. Some "creative Google cross reference" through shady-assed alleged vendors gives us Denso ZXE27HBR8.

I cannot find anyone reputable at all selling the ZXE27HBR8, and those are all in the $25 with shipping range anyway.

Since I'm pretty close to the cutting edge of mileage on these (there are some higher out there, but they are apparently dealer maintained or out and out racecars), this isn't totally unexpected.

Do I seriously need to go drop $100 on spark plugs?

Is it a magic plug? Does it tickle your anus during sex?

That is just ridiculous.

Wonder if you can use Toyota sparks since they made the head

ToyoDIY gives us SU003-00416 for the FR-S. If I'm not mistaken, the SU prefix is "SUBARU"

This appears to crossref to be superceded by SU003-04931 which appeared in later cars (Dec 13 and onward), which appear to be Densos of unknown part number in a Toyota Geniune Parts box. No cheaper, but there's an actual quasi-reputable vendor. Of course, with shipping that place works out to be slightly more expensive than the dealer.

Last edited:
I think its a sign that you should add a turbo and run plugs a step colder. :p

Seriously though, have you checked the factory service manual? It may list more specs beyond the part number.

Keep us updated on what you find though. I'm only about a third of the way through my plugs(22k miles) but it'll be good to know for the future.

Denso doesn't sell this direct and there's no cross to NGK, so it looks like you're just going to have to suck it up and eat the $100 for four plugs. Iridium isn't cheap.

I wonder what the scrap value is on the old plugs.

$5 is about right for an Iridium plug.
$9 at the outside.
$25 isn't Iridium. It's unicorn testicle.

I'm going to try a spec cross reference to see what exists that's close, but at this point I'm fairly confident these are the only ones on the market in the right material, dimensions and heat range, and they're only distributed through authorized Toyobaru dealers and the aftermarket joints that buy from authorized Toyobaru dealers.

$9 at the outside.

The iridium plugs for my former X100 were about $22 each and that was from Rock Auto at the time.

$9 at the outside.

I'm going to try a spec cross reference to see what exists that's close, but at this point I'm fairly confident these are the only ones on the market in the right material, dimensions and heat range, and they're only distributed through authorized Toyobaru dealers and the aftermarket joints that buy from authorized Toyobaru dealers.

Those are in the $16-40 range here. :|