Concept: Subaru Impreza Concept: yes please

Then what should a Subaru look like?

2006-2007_Subaru_Impreza_2.5i_sedan.jpg

Where is the design correlation between any of those designs? So what should it look like? It shouldn't have to look like anything.

Bit like that or what Mitlov posted. After Toyota got a hold of them it all started goig crap on both the looks and quality front.

Oh, and I think it looks like crap (concept in OP). But I'm a 1st and 2nd gen era WRX STI purist, so I hate them all since the 3rd gen. :lol:

2006-2007_Subaru_Impreza_2.5i_sedan.jpg

When these came out I thought they were hideous...

Now I think they are not only beautiful but the best looking Subarus of all time (yes better than the SVX).

That. Except the SVX thing, the XT also looked cool.

This new one is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000% better than the craptastic one we have now.

This:
04-05_Subaru_WRX_STi_2.jpg

Or this:
h.i.subaru.impreza.2001.12.00.nc400.wrx.sti.2002.jpg

Until they made the 5 door and everyone realized how much better it looked.

Totally disagree there. An Impreza should a a sedan, simply so it can have a big wing on the back. All the current hatchback looks like is a Mazda Protege that's been at the pies. Thankfully they now make a sedan Sti.

This new concept looks like a Mazda 6 or 3.

01-subaru-impreza-concept-la-2010.jpg

2008-mazda6.jpg

2010-mazda-3-sedan.jpg

Last edited:
It's nice-looking, but it looks it should be something else.... not an Impreza. I just hope the STi version is stupidly angry-looking with a great big (but fitting) 'fuck-off' rear spoiler. :devil:

This is what the Legacy should look like. The Impreza should be squatter, more muscular. The Impreza should have lines like a pitbull, not a dolphin.

I'm always reluctant to comment on new Subarus because I initially hate all of them, and then over the next year they steadily grow on me and I become quite fond of them.

Same here, I'm actually quite fond of the latest hatchback version, a neighbour has one and it looks better by the day :D.

I like it a lot, but the rear kinda reminds me of this:

VXR8_1-L.jpg

cardriver_head.jpg

908.jpg

Limited22b.jpg

subaru_impreza_22B_1998_01_s.jpg

prodrive-sells-very-first-subaru-impreza-wrc-1997_01.jpg

Muscular, purposeful and brutal. These things look better and better as time flys by; Definitely one of my must-own cars despite being an Evo man.

[/thread]

Last edited:
"What should a Subaru look like" is as abstract a question as a Buddhist zen koan. "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"

I like it only because it's the last subaru to resemble my family's 2006 Legacy, a car that can legitimately be called beautiful without a Greek chorus of snickers to doubt your conscience.

Subaru_Legacy_06-1024.jpg

And naturally, they ruined it with the next generation; now it looks like a meth addict.

The funny thing is I think every car posted as being the ideal Subaru was once derided as being ugly or possibly even not Subaru enough.

Subaru has always been all over the place with their designs, and that's what I like about them. They trying new and different things to see what works and what doesn't. That's also the point of the concept is to gauge the publics reaction. As for me, I really like it. It does look Legacy-sized, but that's just something to expect these days. I still prefer the older Subaru's (which I once saw as horrid, but now I absolutely adore). They're trying to shed their "quirkiness". In the early 2000's, Subaru only sold about 200,000-250,000 vehicles in the US.....so they are a very small company. They're trying to gain marketshare, and to do so they need a more widely accepted design, which is what this is. I'm almost positive the STi version will be epic (and speaking of which, I made a little doodle in Photoshop of what it could look like)

2012imprezawhite2.jpg

2012imprezablack2.jpg

Subaru has always been all over the place with their designs, and that's what I like about them. They trying new and different things to see what works and what doesn't. That's also the point of the concept is to gauge the publics reaction. As for me, I really like it. It does look Legacy-sized, but that's just something to expect these days. I still prefer the older Subaru's (which I once saw as horrid, but now I absolutely adore). They're trying to shed their "quirkiness". In the early 2000's, Subaru only sold about 200,000-250,000 vehicles in the US.....so they are a very small company. They're trying to gain marketshare, and to do so they need a more widely accepted design, which is what this is. I'm almost positive the STi version will be epic (and speaking of which, I made a little doodle in Photoshop of what it could look like)

2012imprezawhite2.jpg

2012imprezablack2.jpg

Add Spoiler.
Increase the size of hood scoop.
Paint it blue.

Still. When Subaru released their current Impreza, the hatchback. People said "It looks like a mazda 3. Just bigger." Wich it does.
With this new concept it really does seem like they are starting to make more generic cars. Bad in my opinion. They're a small manufacturer but atleast nobody hates them.
It's understandable that Subaru is trying to grow. But there's an abundance of "mediocre and generic" cars on the market. Always has been always will be.

Golf, Corolla and Accord will always rule the "aimed towards mass market"-award.
Also ruining the Impreza is in my opinion like this is in my opinion a mistake. I think it would be better if they tried to make a whole new car aimed towards mass market, instead of riding the Impreza name.

It looks meh to me. But I'm sure in five years I'll love it to death.

I saw this and photographed from multiple angles at the LAAS this year, unfortunately in person it does NOT look good at all :( It's quite enormous, blocky, featureless and be sure if they retain the basic design but do away with the expensive concept show like details that make the design cool, this does not promise to be that interesting looking a car

I tried to photograph this at multiple angles...and honestly, there were few I thought where it looked decent

5190872607_130126a870_z.jpg

5191468596_409b4433de_z.jpg

5190875061_5be56382c3_z.jpg

5190876419_4c0f6de61f_z.jpg

5190877395_73e98e1da4_z.jpg

5191472926_a0883016ab_z.jpg

It has to be seen in person, it makes the current gen Impreza look embarassingly svelte.

It looks like the Volt mated with something, a Volvo maybe?