Subaru Legacy STI rumored to have 450 hp

Phila

Car(s)
1995 Subaru Legacy, 2008 Subaru Legacy
legacy_sti_450-op.jpg

When another batch of spy photos of the upcoming Subaru Exiga surfaced yesterday, we didn't give it much thought. We pretty much know the styling direction and dimensions of Subaru's new people mover, but one portion of AutoExpress' article caught our attention. In addition to the Exiga joining a new Legacy sedan and Outback wagon in 2009, Subaru's future drivetrain plans include dropping the 3.0-liter boxer and reworking the 2.0- and 2.5-liter engines to increase efficiency and power. The naturally aspirated 2.0-liter will supposedly produce 200 hp, while the current turbocharged 2.5-liter will exceed 300 hp. While neither of which is huge news, AE also mentions that a Legacy STI is on the way with a turbo'd 3.7-liter producing close to 450 hp. Whether or not such a beast will actually come about is open to debate, but when it does, we hope that Subaru has the foresight to make it available in the U.S.

from Autoblog

Yes please. :yes:

Ah-guh!

Yes, please, Subaru...

Very un-Subaru-ish to have an engine with that much power. Might not necessarily be a good thing either.

Subaru doesn't really have a big history of coming up with totally new engines, usually re-working the old ones to get more power. Suddenly coming up with a more expensive, more powerful version that is unlikely to sell very well, seems doubtful.

Japanese culture is usually very sensible, this idea isn't.

I've heard these rumors but none of it really gets my attn until there's more solid info. besides in this day of current rising gas prices, its another case of too little too late. I and many other turbocharged sedan owners i know are all switching to more fuel efficient cars for our daily drivers and if a high hp petrol-powered car is in the cards, reserving a 2 door sports coupe for that.

Sweet, so the Impreza would basically be replaced by the Legacy as the badass car? Fine by me -- not a big fan of the new STi.

Sweet, so the Impreza would basically be replaced by the Legacy as the badass car? Fine by me -- not a big fan of the new STi.

In a perfect world, the Impreza STi would be the boy racer's car, owned by 20-year olds, and the Legacy STi would be the gentleman's racer, owned by 35-year olds.

I hope Subaru's listening, because it'd be a brilliant marketing strategy: eventually the Impreza owners would graduate to the Legacy owners once they gained some class and style, and stopped tooling around with backwards baseball caps listening to Lil' Wayne and the sound of their own groaning exhausts. :p

Just leave my check in the mail, Fuji HI.

In a perfect world, the Impreza STi would be the boy racer's car, owned by 20-year olds, and the Legacy STi would be the gentleman's racer, owned by 35-year olds.

Indeed. Not to mention is kinda the ultimate sleeper.

Legacy + 450bhp?
What's not to love?

Subaru doesn't really have a big history of coming up with totally new engines, usually re-working the old ones to get more power. Suddenly coming up with a more expensive, more powerful version that is unlikely to sell very well, seems doubtful.

Japanese culture is usually very sensible, this idea isn't.

R32-35 GT-R, Supra, RX-7.... :)
Very yes. A fine sleeper!
Legacy is a sleeper? Only to the uninitiated I suppose....

i'm in for this. not too many people know the legacy, so i would consider it to be a real good sleeper.

^ I never understood how the Legacy was called 'discreet' or 'boring looking.' I always thought it was one of the best looking cars out there.

I guess its a face only a mother could love kind of thing.