Jalopnik: Subaru's FT-86

Weight is extremely important. Better handling, better braking, better acceleration, better gas mileage, and, since most lighter cars tend to be physically smaller, often cheaper parts. A 2800lbs S2000 does feel heavier than a 2300lbs Miata. 3200lbs is not that much in the grand scheme of things but lighter is still better.

Not exactly but, I understand what you're getting at. While it is true, I don't think it makes one car better over another hence, why I think the whole "MUST BE LIGHTWEIGHT OMGZORRZZZ" argument is overrated. A car is going to fun if it's engineered and designed well for the intended "sport" car market, not saying that the FT86/BRZ isn't, but there are many MANY cars in the sub-$25k and sub-sub-$25k price range (both new and used) that fit this bill.

Thankfully the aftermarket industry has taken upon themselves to re-engineer the suspensions of the Fox-platform mustangs as there is no in way in hell that I'd own two of them...

See the problem is the gear head in me that starts turning wheels in his head in how to exceed or achieve what the BRZ/FT86 is providing for the same or cheaper and it all points to the cars listed in my profile and throwing this at it.

Last edited:
I may have this backwards, but the NC from '06-'08 weighs 2450 and the 09-now weighs 2490. When you consider that weight measurements are usually taken with a quarter tank of fuel and that a gallon (Edit: of gasoline, water weighs 8lbs a gallon... though not when using an Imperial gallon to measure a gallon) weighs a little less than 8lbs, the NC in reality weighs about 2500lbs.

Last edited:
8.34 pounds per US gallon, to be exact, so you'll need to adjust your weight upward slightly.

Good video there. It's always nice when a car reviewer can manage to be realistic about cars like that. Sure you can get a tired old premium car with a bunch of miles for a similar price, but it's not all good, there are definite advantages to getting a brand new car. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Another glowing review. I'm still not sold on the styling, but to be fair I haven't seen one yet in person. All the reviewers do seem to love this car.

Would it restart the childishness if I admitted to having contacted some dealerships about putting down a deposit on one of these? :D

Black Limited with manual, for the interested parties, and hopefully things will get more official in November or so. :)

Would it restart the childishness if I admitted to having contacted some dealerships about putting down a deposit on one of these? :D

Black Limited with manual, for the interested parties, and hopefully things will get more official in November or so. :)

Hope it come through! :thumbsup:

In related news, I found out that Toyota held a huge event to show their new cheap crap car for the Third World and as a surprise they had a GT86 on display, even though they have no intentions of selling it here and I missed it because I expected it to be a boring display of a cheap town car. D:

Eh, I guess anything is better than a Camry :p As much as I'm not a big fan of the FRS, I say go for it! You can certainly do far worse and it will be a really fun car. My only suggestion is go for the burnt orange :D

Eh, I guess anything is better than a Camry :p As much as I'm not a big fan of the FRS, I say go for it! You can certainly do far worse and it will be a really fun car. My only suggestion is go for the burnt orange :D

FR-S? We're in the BRZ thread. ;)

Note also that I'll be trying my best to test drive one, and will also take a spin in the Miata before any final commitments.

FR-S? We're in the BRZ thread. ;)

Note also that I'll be trying my best to test drive one, and will also take a spin in the Miata before any final commitments.

I test drove a Miata back when I was car shopping (before my Solstice) and can say they definitely handle a treat. The only downside was the lack of power. It finally came down to between the Miata and my current car (Solstice GXP) and while the former handled marginally better and had more room (no typo, the Solstice has a big hump fuel tank in the trunk) - the turbo 2.0L in the Solstice won me over. In the end you just can't turn down turbo power. Hopefully version 2 of the BRZ and FRS will have that option as well as that's the only real downside of the car I see right now.

Yeah, it would be good if they could keep the weight down but still shoehorn in a turbo.

I just saw a burnt orange one in my neighborhood the other day. Damn it looks good.

Yeah, it would be good if they could keep the weight down but still shoehorn in a turbo.

Guys this is a car, not an F1 racer, adding a turbo to this car is going to do jack to the handling.

Jesus, this "OMGIT'SLIGHTWEIGHTWTFBBQZORZZZZ" obsession is getting to be quite ridiculous.

And if they're that concerned, they should get rid of the passenger seat. People are too heavy.

- - - Updated - - -

And if they're that concerned, they should get rid of the passenger seat. People are too heavy.

- - - Updated - - -

...and the spare wheel, the tire jack, the A/C system, heater core, exhaust, and windows, hell who needs windows?

Guys this is a car, not an F1 racer, adding a turbo to this car is going to do jack to the handling.

Jesus, this "OMGIT'SLIGHTWEIGHTWTFBBQZORZZZZ" obsession is getting to be quite ridiculous.
I must be ill. I totally agree with you. :p

Last edited:

I disagree. I reckon the back would come around much more often :)

It's not so much a matter of the weight itself but rather where it is placed. Turbos, intercoolers, and the associated piping can add enough weight to the front of the car to change the balance.