Sudden urge to buy camera gear, how to get over it

sifu

Car(s)
-11 BMW F11 528i Sport
I have been surprised by the fact that I need for some reason new gear.

Currently i am looking for a AF-chip version of a m42-EOS adapter. Ebay has tons, but i do not have the possibility to pay abroad cos i do not have for example visa. So I am limited to Finnish markets.

I have looked also for Katz-Eye focusing screens or similar to buy also to help with my full "manual" photography.

Today alone i ordered already 50mm EF f1.8 II lens for an everyday lens and im close to upgrade my 28mm f2.8 Auto-Beroflex to 28mm f3.5 super-takumar (90 euros). After seeing the user reviews about this lens im very much tempted.

Also i should have a good deal to replace my auto chinon (which is superb for its value) 55mm f1.7 to mamiya 55mm f1.8 (dirt cheap for a mamiya). User reviews with both lenses have been good and for mamiya the sharpness should be excellent.

I have looked every day for used wide angle EF or EF-S lens.. Aargh...

So do you know any cures for this, opinions about these lenses im about to buy or just lauch at my face.. Every opinion helps. Opinions about these katz-eyes, AF-chip adapter rings etc.

Last edited:
Welcome to G.A.S. - Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Unfortunately, it's usually a permanent, uncurable affliction that can only be temporarily alleviated by blowing your money on camera crap until you don't actually have any money left.

Its a bitch. I use the idea of buying a car to distract my mind from spending any money - its worked so far. I've been expensive purchase free for 4 months now!

Take the money you want to spend on gear, and buy a vacation to some place you'd like to photograph.

Welcome to G.A.S. - Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Unfortunately, it's usually a permanent, uncurable affliction that can only be temporarily alleviated by blowing your money on camera crap until you don't actually have any money left.
What he said. I just recently ordered a lightmeter and a Ray Flash. Hopefully that will keep it at bay for a few months...

I almost bought a body today.

Luckily, I only walked out with printing paper and a leather portfolio.

Funny, the body shop here didn't have camera parts, just bits of cadaver.

Buying gear? It's called being addicted to your hobby. You can only hope to manage it; you can never escape it. Good luck!

I actually managed to sell some of my stuff. Kind of accidentally got buyers for both my film scanner and my Nikon FE + 50/1.8. I also scored a nice profit from them both, sold them for double the price I paid for them myself :mrgreen:

Now I'm having a hard time choosing a motherboard and a cpu cooler, earlier it was easy just to dream of buying stuff, now it's a whole new problem: now that I actually have the money, I'm being extra careful so that I wouldn't spend my money on something that ends up being a bad choice <_<

I'd love to buy some more camera gear as well, but I'm afraid that'll take a bit more than just a couple of hundred euros. 80-200/2.8 tele, that's at least 500e (I'd prefer the two-ring version over the push-pull), an FX body (a couple of grand)... *wants to win the lottery*

Last edited:
Some addition, got the 50mm 1.8 EF lens and been happy with it...
Bought a super takumar 28mm 3.5 also...
Looking for a tripod, manfrotto should do the trick.

Balancing between AF-chip adapter and katz-eye manual focusing screens, dunno what to buy.

Then some filters, gradient gray, and ND for starters...

i thought this,

Manfrotto 718B Photo- / video tripod
One handle for vertical and horizontal.
One for tilting the camera

money money money...

Last edited:
I've always been more comfortable with a 3 handle head, I prefer control over one axis at a time. I got the two for ?280.

Also, my lightmeter just shipped from Hong Kong.

What do you need a lightmeter for?

Measuring emitted light (or whatever the expression) is a lot more accurate than light bounced off the object being lit. The most accurate metering mode in your camera is the spot meter. But it's also the most flawed one. It will always set the measured spot as a medium grey (18% Lightness), but if your object is black, then the whole thing will be over exposed. If it's white, it'll be underexposed. Measuring the light with a light meter will always give you the correct exposure settings for the entire scene.

I'm also buying the "cheap" Gretagh MacBeth calibration chart soon, probably.

Measuring emitted light (or whatever the expression) is a lot more accurate than light bounced off the object being lit. The most accurate metering mode in your camera is the spot meter. But it's also the most flawed one. It will always set the measured spot as a medium grey (18% Lightness), but if your object is black, then the whole thing will be over exposed. If it's white, it'll be underexposed. Measuring the light with a light meter will always give you the correct exposure settings for the entire scene.
Sure will, but unless you are using film, why bother?

In most active conditions, you don't have time to use it anyway. If you've got time, you could just as well look at the histogram. So I really don't see the need for a light meter. When doing a strobist shot, it might take you one or two shots to get the light steady, but I think that's worth doing if it saves me money.

If I'm in a studio, well. It does work, but I never feel the need unless I'm shooting film, and for that, I have a very nice light meter. My dSLR.

Edit: Oh, and for spot metering. Try keeping you left hand at a 45 degree angle to the subject you are shooting, point the camera at it, overexpose one stop, and bob's your uncle. :)

Last edited:
Uh... no. Just no. That sort of approach works for 99% of the amateur photographer, but anyone who wants even a bit of professionalism in his work (shooting film, years of trying and the size of your equipment does not make you a pro) won't settle for anything half cocked.

Last edited: