[Suggestion] Top Gear: Russian Special

Great idea - has lots of potential. I can see Richard falling in love with another car...

russia would be great for a challenge as would china and india. i think majority of the world population has a fairly skewed view of all 3 of those places which is a bit of a worry considering that a huge slice of the world population lives there! something in south america could be interesting. also places like cuba have some awesome old cars rolling around the place.. it's not the safest of places to go but hey i know of a lot of people that have lost everything on trips through africa!

another possibility would be here in australia but i think the other 3 would be waaaay better to do first. when you get out of the towns and major centres here there's just so much nothingness :lol:

I like the idea, but I think it would be better to have another "car vs public transport" race in Russia.
Isnt there a train that goes all the way from one end to the other? Jeremy could race that.

Preferably in a powerful and very very comfy car, given the roads there

I cheap car challenge is a good idea too but I fear none of the cars will make it, which would suck

@NooDle

The problem is that there is of course such train, but it isn't fast like TGV for example :) There would be no fun in such challenge because any car will beat such train.

Of course some cars may not make it, but others may. That the question of buying one. Just remember Richard's Oliver, or James's Caddy.

@NooDle
The problem is that there is of course such train, but it isn't fast like TGV for example :) There would be no fun in such challenge because any car will beat such train.

yes, of course. But it doesn't have to be a fast train. I imagine the train to keep running forever, and the driver of the car has to stop for fuel, eating and drinking, toilet breaks, and I imagine some sleep too.

The train does not stop

@NooDle

Nope. Trains here are stopping at cities during their trip. And it would be kinda strange not to stop in 3000+ km trip from northern Russian end to southern. As I said earlier - any car would beat train in Russia, except it's not an express which goes from Petersburg to Moscow and back. It doesn't stop at all and achieves larger average speed than car can on road from Petersburg to Moscow. The average speed of train in Russia is really low.

This is actually a really good idea. Russia is a great place for some healthy exaggerated stereotyping JC loves so much :) And potential for cheap, old, crappy car choices is of course endless.

The Top Gear team dont need an imagination anymore, just read some of Final Gear's suggestions :)

This would be brilliant, the American Special was epic and i'd like to see more were that came from please Wilman

The Top Gear team dont need an imagination anymore, just read some of Final Gear's suggestions :)

This would be brilliant, the American Special was epic and i'd like to see more were that came from please Wilman

Haha, so true. The only reason they don't bust FinalGear for the T*rrents is that we come up with their ideas, so this is kind of like our way to pay for the downloads! :cool:

If TG ever goes to Russia I want to see ZiLs and Chaikas especially ZiL model numbers that begin with 4.
And also Lada Niva - Lada that'll be here probably forever and go anywhere.

This could be really fun, but I would love to see how to do it without spending too much on bribes for the GAI. I would also like to see the three of them try to struggle with the Russian language - that could have real comic potential.

I seem to remember the Exile did a race with Zaporozhets a few years (the Russian equivalent of the Trabant, but less reliable). Russian roads are interesting though. St Pete to Moscow is about the best out of town stretch, but shall we say, not quite the smoothness for a Ferrari. The joke is that despite being a supercar capital, once you get outside Moscow, roads are a bit, average. The Lada is a standard and keeps going regardless of the abuse (albeit a not very comfortable ride). The Volgas are quite nice though and well kept ones are quite valuable now.

Sounds like a great idea! +repped you for it as well. If they do a challenge, I would be ecstatic and surprised, and you definitely would receive tons more +reps for it.

Off topic: The OP is age 20, 13 posts and comes up with a great idea. Trolls, are you reading this? I'm sure you are because you have nothing else better to do.... You could learn a lot from posts like this.

Guys, it seems that Russian version of our beloved Top Gear won't work in future. From one sight - it's not good, but from another - it's not worth of continuing the show. I mean really.
That's why I think that Russian Top Gear special will look nicely, huh? It could be really breathtaking as we discussed here earlier two years ago, and there are many news here which makes it only better. How d'you think mates?

Will not happen. Imagine the top gear crew getting pulled over by one of these Russian a-hole cops? They are all corrupt in there.

And even if the crew doesn't get in trouble with cops, they are probably gonna get robbed along the way.

Sounds like a great idea. I want to see a Top Gear India special too.

Will not happen. Imagine the top gear crew getting pulled over by one of these Russian a-hole cops? They are all corrupt in there.

And even if the crew doesn't get in trouble with cops, they are probably gonna get robbed along the way.

Believe me if they managed Africa and South America they can handle Russia....

Epic Russian special: St. Petersburg to Vladivostok! Are there roads to Vladivostok? How long would that take to drive?

It's sound like a great idea, but the Top Gear team have done rather ambitious stuff before. Why stop at the tip of European Russia? Why not go all the way to the Bering Strait? It may work if it was like the Polar Special seeing as most of Asian Russia is snowy (particularly Chukotka which has no real roads and flying is essential), but may not work if the lads are buying 3 crap Russian cars. But who knows? They've done the impossible before. It would be an A+ if it ever did a road trip across European Russia, but A* if they covered most of Asian Russia too. Talking 5,000 odd miles from St. Petersburg to, say within sight of The Diomedes, 50 miles from Alaska.

It's a great idea in which I then made daft. :p I am rather fascinated to learn more about the Russia we don't usually hear about, and how Top Gear would interpret it. The cinematography would be epic, whatever the extent of the idea.

Last edited: