Suggestions to get ma Tail a Wagon.....

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Fun as the Winbiza is, it's not the biggest thing in the world and at 13 years old it's not going to last forever. Not looking to replace it immediately but when I do I think I will be heading back towards small wagon territory. I had the 330D and while it wasn't bad to drive and pulled like a train especially after the remap, I never really bonded completely with it - it always felt like it handled well in spite of its bulk/mass and I do like a car that feels.... chuckable.

If I can nurse the Seat through a couple more years then hopefully a budget of around ?5k but options are, to say the least, pretty limited.

Saab? It's an Opel in a frock with more to go wrong. Cheap for sure but...... maybe.
3er? Been there, done that.
5er? Too big for my tastes and the 5 series in the UK is strictly old man golfist territory.
Jag X Type? It's a ****ing Mondeo, engines prone to failure
Passat? - pretty solid car but ooooh so dull.

The Japs don't make anything interesting (well they do but Scoobies are too thirsty as petrol and their diseasel engines grenade far too easily), French stuff is shite, Italians don't make wagons.

Boils down to an A4 Avant (A6 again too big) V50 (V70 too big) or Octavia wagon - do I want to be seen as a flash wanker, a boring wanker or a cheap wanker? I'd also consider a Superb for spec and comfort but decent ones are likely to be out of budget. Diseasel for preference, as much for the torque and the relatively low cost (around ?250) of significantly increased with a remap.

Damn sheeple buying SUVs and MPVs - killing the wagon as a species! :shakefist:

Any other suggestions or arguments for/against anything I've rejected or am still considering?

Last edited:
I was going to suggest a Toyota Caldina GT-T/GT-Four, but I don't think that will be any cheaper on fuel than a Subaru, it would be a grey market car, and the newest examples are ten years old already..

Did the Toyota Altezza/Lexus IS wagon ever make it to your shores? They last made them over 10 years ago but should be pretty solid regardless. I've never driven a 9-3 but I'm not especially inclined towards it.

Last edited:
Get a Jeep :D

No. I despise off-roaders because of the majority of the people who buy them in this country. The reason I want a wagon is for the reasonable compromise between practicality and handling. Centre of gravity is key.

I was going to suggest a Toyota Caldina GT-T/GT-Four, but I don't think that will be any cheaper on fuel than a Subaru, it would be a grey market car, and the newest examples are ten years old already..

I'd love to have something that interesting, but they are as rare as rocking horse shit, parts would be a nightmare to source and the bloody thing would drink enough to make me look like an advocate for temperance!

Did the Toyota Altezza/Lexus IS wagon ever make it to your shores? They last made them over 10 years ago but should be pretty solid regardless.

They did but as grey imports and in very small numbers, the wagons are even rarer. Mitsubishi Legnum (It's a Galant!) VR4 would also be interesting but ruinously expensive to daily from a point of view of fuel cost and insurance.

Don't get me wrong, there is a ton of interesting stuff available, but at a price. I'd love something cool and JDM but running stuff like that here is pelican territory.

Leon ST Cupra. :p ;)

If you mean the FR TDi wagon, it's an option, but currently out of budget. On the list though.

Don't be boring!

$_86.JPG

As is that. At least the 159s aren't plummeting in value like their predecessors did. I'll take one in dark blue with cream or ivory but not tan orange leather please. Still out of budget for decent low mileage examples with full main dealer history.

For now, maybe. Probably not the most sensible option but hey, it's many years since I bought a total lemon so I'm overdue a minor automotive bankruptcy. And I've never owned an Alfa. Must speak to GT1750 for feedback about his,

Mustang?

the answer is obviously corvette

gallery-1486130919-screen-shot-2017-02-03-at-90821-am.png

That Alfa looks the business. Shame they don't make RWD saloons and wagons any more...

That Alfa looks the business. Shame they don't make RWD saloons and wagons any more...

Saloons they do, wagons they don't (yet at least).

Also, I find it rather amusing, that almost every time A6/5er/V70 etc "premium" options are out for being too big, stuff like Mondeo, Passat and Octavia are still among valid options.

Dare I say, Skoda? Only car that has a nicely trimmed mustache. You could offer people a mustache ride.

Last edited:
How's the Focus ST estate doing, depreciation wise?

Dude, come on. It's terrible.