Summer Rain Gear - what are you using?

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
Well, after the failure of the included rain jacket on my Failsheer, I'm looking around for recommendations on rain gear again. I've concluded that I'm unlikely to find a zip in rain jacket that's going to work with mesh gear (I have one that works fine for winter) so I'm wondering what everyone is using for summer rain protection, if anything.

I have some cheap nylon pants that I wear when it gets really soppy, and a Dianese jacket. Honestly I usually just ride through it and be a bit damp, or if it is really bad I will take the cage. My philosophy is that riding should always be a choice, not the only option; it keeps me wanting to ride. If the weather is shit then it just doesn't make sense to gear up and ride for a short commute.

For longer trips I will probably invest in rain gear I can wear over my touring suit, but that still doesn't keep the water out of my vented boots.

When I bought my racing suit I also bought Alpinestars RJ5 jacket and pants. Goes very well with the suit and also my with my touring gear. Keep you dry and stops wind very well!

I've got some membraned gear, that I use pretty much all year round. It has zipped winterlinings which work quite well.
But I live in a place where it gets rarely over 30?C and it basically rains all the time.
On the Pre-Ringmeet roadtrip I got soaked from the inside though, mostly because I timed the clothing procedure badly.

Hrm. The zip-in that came with my Olympia gear has worked well for me, but you said you doubt you can find a zip-in that'll work for you. FWIW, I don't zip the liners into the jacket. I wear them under the gear, with the water resistant pants tucked under the water resistant jacket, then the protective mesh pants over both of those, and finally the protective mesh jacket over top. I get a little bit of dampness on the bit of hair that's between my helmet and the jacket, and my hands get wet (as my gloves aren't lined). Everything else stays dry, even in a hard rain... BUT my longest rain ride is about 15 minutes. It's not near being a problem at that time, but I don't know how it would fair for 30+ minutes.

I usually wear my jacket length Dainese d-dry jacket, and it's been working well the past few years. All the zips are covered so water rarely seeps in. I haven't shopped for gear in a while, so I don't know how the new models hold up. But, the old ones rarely let moisture in and the high collar is quite good at keeping your neck warm.

As for pants, I just ride in my old A* leather ones. It's probably really bad for it, but these leathers are so worn and have seen everything, that it really doesn't matter anymore. I should probably get some new ones soon come to think of it. <_<

Last edited:
I have a Firstgear Kilimanjarro. It's textile shell with a mesh liner. It's got six huge vents, and all the zippers are rubberized for a good seal. Unless it's well over 90, I usually grab this jacket before I leave.

And yes, it comes in black.

51-5433KilmnjroBlk_rollover.jpg

I wear a rukka jacket and jeans, they are great in the rain. And they have a removable inner-jacket you can put on if it's realy cold
Rukka_athos_gtx_goretex_motorcycle_jacket.jpg

It's a Finninsh brand I think, it's reasonably popular in scandinavia. Realy comfortable and your can wear "normal" clothes underneath(nice feature if you ride to work)

www.rukka.com