Super Charger Vs Turbo Charger

Super Charger Vs Turbo Charger

• Total voters
I'm actually looking for '94 to '97 Miatas to install a supercharger kit on. New superchargers are much more efficient and high tech than they used to be. They are cheaper, lighter, more responsive, and easier to install than turbochargers, and much better for spirited driving and track use, you never have to guess when the turbo will come in.

Gotta go with S/C for me. Sounds awesome on the Mini S with an air intake. Sounded awesome on the XKR on the last TG.

Turbocharged. Just get Twin-scroll and you barely have lag, and it keeps on pulling onto high RPMs!

The "ricer" that goes with turbos are usually the blow off valves, and to get rid of it, you just not to buy some useless ricer BOV.

It really depends on the application, but for general day-to-day driving, give me a nie twin-turbo setup like the new BMW 335i. Or even better, the variable geometry turbine of the 997 911 Turbo.

Might be off topic but wich one of these is more reliable?
Superchargerd engine or an engine that uses a turbo?

I love the sound of a spooling turbo ya its ricey but so what and its better on gas when driving like a normal person.

S/C when bolted to a V8, the sound is absolutely amazing!!...SLR, XKR, VXR500 some examples...and the instant power is always satisfying:D

Supercharger is better for everyday use as the power is on tap, and of course the blower whine.

Although I love the SC whine, I prefer the turbo.

Lag ? What lag ? Just downshift a gear and you won't believe how fast boost comes in.

And for MORE power: just turn up the boost (so long as the engine can stand it but that's also true of SC'ed engines).
Try that with a SC: switching pulleys is an option but only takes you so far. ;)

I prifeur soupeur-charge for everyday driving.

1. For the immediate power;
2. Sound on a V8 (think SLR, CLS55, XKR *droools......* )

Dare i say on a V12???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh2W4C00FZ0
*explodes*

If i were racing though, and i wouldnt care about lag off the line, id definetly go for a turbo, especially if i were doing wangan runs or touge dog-fighting.

Last edited:
Turbos with variable nozzles/vanes

Love the sound of supercharger whine and I prefer endless and huge surges of POWERRRRR :twisted:

turbo's are generally not a nice sound for me, it grates on me.

but then again this might be just that i have been in a testing lab with a turbo from a perkins diesel engine on the bench.

hehe a friend used the entire capacity of the labs compressed air generators to power the turbo. i cant remeber quite what he was trying to do, something about making the turbo spin faster for a given flow of exhaust gas i think....cant remember.

anyway he had it set up on the bench with compresses air being forced through the turbine. i was looking at the laser RPM meter..... 65000RPM! lol!

it was loud tough, really loud. had to wear ear muffs

I was wondering 2 things about hybrid chargers:

- electrically/mechanically assisted turbos with a clutch system that disables when boost is sufficient (to lower the boost threshold and to pre-spool the turbine)

- a compressor which would be driven by both the engine's crank and the exhaust's turbine