Super Charger Vs Turbo Charger

Super Charger Vs Turbo Charger

• Total voters
squirrel mincers FTW!!!
who cares abt BOVs. sounds to poser-ish to me eitherway.
but turbos properly tuned don't lag as bad as you think

Supercharger - less lag, and I love supercharger whine.
Seconded.

I love the hiss a turbo-charged engine makes with blow-off valves, but there's something to be said about the jet-like whine you get from a supercharger, combined with the growl of a proper engine noise. And it's a good feeling to have constant power in my hands, whether I'm just crawling on city streets or already up to speed on a highway.

I currently drive a supercharged Mazda Xedos 9 to and from work, and my close friend drives a turbocharged Honda Prelude, which I have driven on many occasions. It could simply be a bias (8) ) but I think at the end of the day I think I prefer the sound and feel of a supercharged engine.

turbo for sure, good on fuel off boost and big power when you want it. lag isnt that bad, mine starts to boost at just over 2k

I'm surprised at how evenly this poll was split. I would love to try out one of those new TSI engines from VW they seem quite ingenious using both. I think thats just about the best idea ever. I know Clarkson said it was poor, but seriously I find his information hard to trust a lot of the time.

Auto tranny: Supercharger
Manual tranny: Turbo

I'm surprised at how evenly this poll was split. I would love to try out one of those new TSI engines from VW they seem quite ingenious using both. I think thats just about the best idea ever. I know Clarkson said it was poor, but seriously I find his information hard to trust a lot of the time.

i think those are quite good

are they petrol or diesel though? i was under the impression it was petrol but then i saw an ad in a magazine that claimed like 68mpg or something so i thought it cant be a petrol.

168bhp tho, from a 1.4 and if thats diesel then thats even more amazing.

^petrol afaik

best idea ever

The turbo charger gives more sustained power than the supercharger thought super chargers are usually found on more expensive cars.

My 98.5 1.8T smokes my friends 2005 C230 Kompressor. Turbo FTW.

I know supercharging is generally superior, but...man, the sensation of hearing a turbo spool up and then wooooooooooooaaaaahahh! I'm off!! is just incredible...

I drive a turbo on a day to day basis, and i prefer it to NA. I havent driven a car with a supercharger, but I like the sound of a turbo whistling over the whine of a supercharger

I know supercharging is generally superior, but...man, the sensation of hearing a turbo spool up and then wooooooooooooaaaaahahh! I'm off!! is just incredible...

Each to their own - I much prefer a progressive power delivery from a motor, not lag followed by a great whack in the back.

There was an Yngwie malmsteen song where the singer (Joe Lynn Turner) sings: "Supercharger flyin' low, liquid dynamite". The song is called Faster Than The Speed Of Light

...so supercharger for me please:)

Yngwie Malmsteen SUX.

PS. I know its :offtopic: but I couldn't resist. :wub:

I've only driven a car w/ turbo, but I prefer superchargers.

I work at a BMW dealership so I've driven the new 335i, but unfortunately the only manual I have driven was in the lot. The 335i I have been able to drive off the property was an auto, so it was difficult to really feel the turbo. There was lag, but I don't know if that was more because of the auto. So it was kind of a misconception for me.

The only manual turbo I have driven was on a test drive for a car my friend wanted to buy which was a 1.8t VW Passat. I wasn't really able to push it with the salesman in the car, but the car was definately peppy.

I want to see what a supercharger is like to drive with, but something about the whining of the pulleys/belts makes me prefer it over a turbo.

My 98.5 1.8T smokes my friends 2005 C230 Kompressor. Turbo FTW.

so it should C230 is garbage. even the old SLK200 kompressor was garbage, might as well not have the supercharger

The Golf GT is absolutely horrible!! :barf: