Clarkson: Supercar Showdown - discussion thread

Loved the Film, but i see your point, and I agree.

And the name was "Supercar showdown"... But there wasn't that many actual supercars on it.

I really do think this is the best Clarkson video I've seen so far. The emphasis was on the cars, like it should be. The silly parts were very entertaining yet they didn't overshadow the main point like they do on most of his other videos. The whole thing was also a lot better put together. That's the thing that bothers me about his older DVD's; they somehow just look cheesy. My only complaint, and most of you will think I'm weird for this, was that the music somehow didn't fit. They used the same style of songs for Lambos as they did for Porsches when they're completely different styles of cars. That and hearing about the Veyron is getting a bit old. It's almost like they stuck that part on the end to fill up some time. But other than those minor blemishes it was great and I know I'll watch it again and again. :mrgreen:

I think it was just another car dvd from JC but it does showcase the cars of today and I like that he does that, you watch it and know that these are some of the best cars of the time. I think its a must have for the collection!
I wonder if he says astonishing all the time because of his love for astons???:blink:

I'd never thought I'd be saying this: But I felt that the lineup of cars was boring.. Where were the CCX-R, the Zonda or the 911 GT2? We have seen most of those cars a number of times on Top gear already.. Especially the Veyron...

Although i have nothing against the idea of him reviewing more oddball cars, i'm going to quess that it was either too hard or to expensive to gather such exclusive and expensive cars together all at one time. He mainly stuck to cars that are socially relevant, and made the best analysis he could of those, which to be honest was the most useful thing he could have done with his time. Plus there is usually more to say about cars with a large corporate backing, since somehow the procedures and values of the company trickle down to the cars in either terrible or wonderful ways

It was an OK release from Jeremy Clarkson. Lots of people go ga-ga over anything Clarkson says & does, so I'm not surprised to read some think its an awesome DVD.

A few things were good: I got a chuckle from his joke at 5th Gear's expense at the mock press conference & the race between Sabine & Stig was well done. Sabine looked like a bit of a nutter by talking to herself!

I can see why Clarkson doesn't like Porsches too. He can't drive them too well (except into barriers)...:lol:

Last edited:
Of, it was very enjoyable, if not a bit lacking in silliness. He forgot to destroy some awful car at the end :(

(well, OK, he did destroy the G-Wiz, that rubbish French thing and a crappy little Vauxhall, so that's probably good enough :p)

I reckon this was better than heaven and hell, and about the same as the good, the bad and the ugly. That 911 crash surprisingly didn't hurt much to watch, and wrecking the g-wiz was cool.

Anyone noticed the special edition veyron in this video that Fifth gear won't allowed to show?

@above I did

I quite enjoyed it, actually. Better than The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, and the production values gave it a bit more. I loved the C6 bit, one of my favourite bits! But overall, pretty good.

Of course, it did feel a bit repeated, but what do you expect?

can someone please post here a PrintScreen of 0:06:33 when Jeremy finishes his drink and does that disturbing face i have to have it :lol:

I liked it! A lot. It was worth it by the sound of the cars alone.....the LP640 makes a glorious noise, but the Gallardo is just to die for...I would have one just for that.
On a side note, that Ascari track is AMAZING!

A great DVD imo. The cars he had were fantastic. Needed a bit more destruction though. :p

I just finished watching it at I think it's better than the last one, allthough Jeremy has really developed an extrodinary ability to contradict himself, and he doesn't bother checking facts regarding perfomance that well either.

Most of it is concentrated around the R8, GT3 and V8 Vantage bit. Firstly I can't see what's so great about the way the R8 looks, I think it simply just looks like a wider, lower and longer verson of a TT (nice car but nothing special) with some vulgar daytime running LED added to liven it up a little bit, much like a "council house at christmas". While the R8 might look nice and modern, if not a bit boring today I'm very certain it will age badly and fade away while the 997 will be elevated to classic status, like it's predecessors. Yes, I have seen both the R8 and the GT3 in real life and the R8 is definatey the forgettable one. I remeber from my trip to London this autumn one came down Oxford street reving it's engine by the lights and nobody could be bothered, while the guards red GT3 was a real headturner.

The noise the R8 makes is also this typical unexciting generic V8 rumble most german V8s make, can't hear what's special about that. Then there is the perfomance claims, while the GT3 is miles ahead of the V8 Vantage in therms of over all perfomance, the R8 isn't. Try 7:48 (GT3), 8:03 (V8 Vantage) and (8:04) R8 on the Nordscheife (Sport Auto)

Then there was the GT3 crash, I'd say he did that on purpose. The last time he drove a GT3 he praised it for being forgiving and playful, and that was the 996 without PSM. Then crashing the new one which is regarded as the pinnacle of driver involvement, fell and adjustability in therms of handling seems a bit odd. Then I really couldn't see the point of ruining that perfectly nice Alpine A610 Turbo.

And finally, I'm starting getting fed up with the Veyron now.

Last edited:
I thought it was a great DVD. I wish he would have tested the Bug at the same track/resort as the other cars.

The GWiz vs Table segment was hilarious. I almost died laughing when the GWiz crashed into the table. :lol:

A few Fifth Gear episodes ago, when Tiff visited the Bugatti factory, he said there was a model in the corner that they couldn't film.
Is it just me, or does JCs camera crew get the whole thing on film when they were at the factory filming the Bugatti engine?

.... looks like nothing more than a Pegaso edition Veyron
http://img228.imageshack.**/img228/856/vlcsnap112854hh2.png

Last edited:
(well, OK, he did destroy the G-Wiz, that rubbish French thing and a crappy little Vauxhall, so that's probably good enough :p)
That was a Rover 200! :p

GeeWiz vs Table = the funniest thing jeremy clarkson has ever done.

I stopped the video as i was watching it, to make this post.

Just watched it and in terms of quality, wasn't so sure, as only a couple of bits made me laugh.
Compared to other stuff, I would rate his DVD's bottom of the list after his documentaries, Top Gear, columns in the Times, columns in the Sun and other books, in that order. (Just before I watched it, I watched his documentary about Brunel, which is excellent in every sense, especially the passion he feels about the subject, whereas you don't get that same feeling from his car DVDs)