Clarkson: Supercar Showdown - discussion thread

A few Fifth Gear episodes ago, when Tiff visited the Bugatti factory, he said there was a model in the corner that they couldn't film.
Is it just me, or does JCs camera crew get the whole thing on film when they were at the factory filming the Bugatti engine?

http://img228.imageshack.**/img228/856/vlcsnap112854hh2.png

You do realize the Bugatti factory has at least three more corners and that "model in the corner" quite probably wasn't nailed to the floor, don't you?

I don't understand why you are complaining?? 1hr and 20 minutes of our favorite car guy driving the most amazing cars in the world the way they were supposed to be driven! What could possibly be better?!?!?!?

not to mention most people here will of seen it for sweet FA..... seriously if people still have to complain then there will be no pleasing them at all

Although i have nothing against the idea of him reviewing more oddball cars, i'm going to quess that it was either too hard or to expensive to gather such exclusive and expensive cars together all at one time. He mainly stuck to cars that are socially relevant, and made the best analysis he could of those, which to be honest was the most useful thing he could have done with his time. Plus there is usually more to say about cars with a large corporate backing, since somehow the procedures and values of the company trickle down to the cars in either terrible or wonderful ways

i think many people seem not to realize this, the veyron parts were already on TG, these cars are not abundant they have to be borrowed from manufacturers press demonstrator line up or some brave soul has to donate the use of their car. surely the logistics of such a gathering are a night mare and at some point you have to just say, look thats it, we gotta roll with what we got here. the press cars will no doubt have a calender full of appointments and you cant just keep hold of the local millionaires ferrari for as long as you please either. you must work with what you got before the whole thing becomes a waste of time, and if thats the case, he did a good job

i thought the DVD was pretty good, much better than his previous one.

Last edited:
I'm starting to get annoyed by his fact stating, he seams to get one wrong every minute. Especially the rover bit. If it is a 216 then it doesn't have 103bhp, that's the 1.4. And the MG ZR's turbo he supposedly fitted doesn't exist, as the ZR uses the identical engine lineup the 200 uses.
So that leaves a diesel turbo, but that isn't anywhere near as big as what is visible under the hood.
Which also shows the engine is an 8 valve unit, which clears up the engine-identity crisis, as is can only be the 75bhp 1.4 base unit. Not a 216/111bhp and not 103bhp either.

It probably would have been fun to see what actually happens when you spend 5000 pounds or so on a mediocre car like this rover, and then compare it to something like a BMW 330 or something.

time for you to step outside and enjoy the world mate. theres a hell of a lot more to it that making sure someone gets their facts right about a terrible car.

and while we're being anal.... you spelt seems wrong :p

You do realize the Bugatti factory has at least three more corners and that "model in the corner" quite probably wasn't nailed to the floor, don't you?

Right, but in the FG episode, in the very quick glimpse of the Veyron Tiff was talking about, we saw that it was a white/red one... just like this one. Also, it was standing next to a Veyron all taped up, ready for shipping... just like this one. It was standing next to frosted sliding glass doors...just like this one. And it was 2 cars over from one of their lifts... just like this one.

Here are 2 screencaps from that episode that show the car.
http://img233.imageshack.**/img233/9826/ishot1sw7.jpg
http://img233.imageshack.**/img233/5752/bugatti2tn3.jpg

I liked the Good, Bad and the Ugly quite a lot more,
but this one has much better humor.

I'm starting to get annoyed by his fact stating, he seams to get one wrong every minute. Especially the rover bit. If it is a 216 then it doesn't have 103bhp, that's the 1.4. And the MG ZR's turbo he supposedly fitted doesn't exist, as the ZR uses the identical engine lineup the 200 uses.
So that leaves a diesel turbo, but that isn't anywhere near as big as what is visible under the hood.
Which also shows the engine is an 8 valve unit, which clears up the engine-identity crisis, as is can only be the 75bhp 1.4 base unit. Not a 216/111bhp and not 103bhp either.

Yes, the Rover bit, which was just a piss take. Its obvious that it was making fun of the silly people who bodge their cars. It wasn't meant to be accurate.

Well... in the beginning he said "the french can't make supercars",
and in the very end he said "veyron is french"... he didn't do that accidentaly,
it's an elaborate joke that people can get in a few ways. That's why I like Clarkson,
he's witty.

Right, but in the FG episode, in the very quick glimpse of the Veyron Tiff was talking about, we saw that it was a white/red one... just like this one. Also, it was standing next to a Veyron all taped up, ready for shipping... just like this one. It was standing next to frosted sliding glass doors...just like this one. And it was 2 cars over from one of their lifts... just like this one.

Here are 2 screencaps from that episode that show the car.
http://img233.imageshack.**/img233/9826/ishot1sw7.jpg
http://img233.imageshack.**/img233/5752/bugatti2tn3.jpg

I agree, it's the Pegaso
http://img508.imageshack.**/img508/3152/siguf0.jpg

personally can't agree with the "all" part of your statement, although he does have a tendency to re-use lines, and when he does that it is very annoying (haven't seen new DVD though of course)

it gets better, watch not only TG, but his other series, Speed, Motorworld, Clarkson's Car Years, Clarkson Meets the Neighbors, and you'll realize he recycles his comments on ALL of his shows.

it gets better, watch not only TG, but his other series, Speed, Motorworld, Clarkson's Car Years, Clarkson Meets the Neighbors, and you'll realize he recycles his comments on ALL of his shows.

And in the magazine, and I'm sure books...

I wish he would test something along the lines of the saleen s7 or the mosler mt900, as i would liken them to the ascari...except faster. I'm not sure they sell them in Europe, but they are great cars and have proved very capable in the racing world.

Coupe things i would pick on this video...
1. No way the audi is even that close to the GT3, it was clearly being under-driven to make it closer.

2. Lambo does not look better than the F430, but they both don't look very good, at least to me.

3. Aston...is not that great? I dont think it makes a particularly good sound, more industrial sounding I think. Not nearly as pretty as the old DB7 either. I guess about 90% of what he said comes from British pride.

4. Ascari bit was incredible, I love that car. Although he did say when THE cam comes on, and I'm fairly certain that car has 4 cams. :D

5. Veyron is anything but French, and all that footage was from the race across Europe, which is what they did with both Hammond's and May's tests of the car as well.

It was ok, although just seeing supercars constantly, and I thought I would never say this, but it gets boring.

EDIT: I just found that fifth gear did a review on the Mosler, so I guess it IS sold in Europe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSpXA6kgiMg

Its almost the exact same formula as the Ascari, even sounds pretty close.

Last edited:
I agree, it's the Pegaso
http://img508.imageshack.**/img508/3152/siguf0.jpg

yeah... but I wonder why they wouldn't let Tiff get it on film.

Clarkson: Supercar Showdown - discussion thread

Clarkson: Supercar Showdown - discussion thread

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if Clarkson: Supercar Showdown on Amazon will work on Region 4 players ?

Amazon says Region 2 - But they are wrong atleast 50% of the time.

I have read a few forums but there is no definitive answer.

I really want to BUY the DVD, but only if it works on Region 4.

Thanks.

I wishe he actually bothered testing the Venturi, rather than just say it's rubbish. I remeber he reviewed one toghether with an Alpine on old Top Gear, and he actually liked it very much.

The Venturi 400GT was actually one heck of a car, the first ever production road car to come with carbon ceramic brakes for instance. It had a 3-litre Turbocharged Reanult V6 that produced 408hp in road trim. It's commonly refered to as "the french F40"

Venturi400GT.jpg

Venturi400GT2.jpg

68_1133519107.jpg

68_1133519194.jpg

There was also a slightly more extreme 400 Trophy and 600 LM (Lots of nice pictures here)

VENTURI_DSC07313.jpg

130_1143536597.jpg

Then there was the softer 300 Atlantique

800px-Venturi_300_Atlantique_Bi-Tur.jpg

3624-07.jpg

Last edited: