Superchargers are for pussies! [Viper ACR does 7:22 @ 'Ring]

Good job to Dodge. Now, all then need is a guy who knows how to shift a lorry gearbox :p

I have never really liked the car just because it was a huge engine with no regards to anything else, but damn I will have to tip my hat to this thing. 7:22, that's amazing. Toyota and Nissan need to hurry up and release the LF-A/Vspec so 5 of the 6 fastest cars around the ring will be from Japan/USA with a sketchy zonda team being the lone euro car.

don't forget the carrera GT and the koenigsegg

europe isn't lost just yet :D

Actually, where the driver stayed on the limiter made sense. He was never on it for more than a second or maybe a second and a half, and you can't get anything from doing an upshift and then back down again in that space.

The biggest issue I saw was the ride height was VERY low and it was hitting in a lot of places. I'm surprised that's the best compromise overall between performance and surfing.

Steve

The Viper always had fully independent suspension as far as I know.

As has the Corvette since 1963.

The Corvette has had independent suspension for 46 years. The Corvette catches ish for having "lolsprings" but it isn't a leafspring like on a pickup truck. It's a transverse composite spring mounted side to side attached to the a-arms. They used to use a setup like this in Formula 1. They use it because it is more compact than coils, and the spring rate can be adjusted in minutes by moving the inbound spring mount points out from the center of the car.

Corvette leafspring != LOLspring != solid axle

Good for the Viper. Pity it's being discontinued just as it achieved a ring record.

Last edited:
Good for the Viper. Pity it's being discontinued just as it achieved a ring record.
It's a good high note to go out on and it ought to help cement the Vipers reputation as a true, fuck-all badass machine.

Keep in mind, the ZR1's time was set on stock run-flats. What's the ACR running?

the fastest car that's street legal in the USA to lap the ring

http://drive.gtchannel.com/?c=142&a=1224

I'm not thinking about Buttonwillow or much of anything else. Our drive through Anaheim has induced an ear-to-ear smile.
A street legal Radical is really street legal, you can insure it, drive it to work, maybe to the movies, but the curvy SR3 is far from home on the street. Where the car really comes to life is at the track.

Last edited:
For a fair comparison lets see what happens when you throw a huge front spliter, big ass wing and sticky tires on the ZR-1 and GTR.

Keep in mind, the ZR1's time was set on stock run-flats. What's the ACR running?

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires, which are very good.

the fastest car that's street legal in the USA to lap the ring with a roof

that better? actually, I have no idea, I'm just making shit up

Hang on. The GT3 RS isn't road legal in Germany? :?

It is, but I guess there was a bit of "convincing" involved :D

The biggest issue I saw was the ride height was VERY low and it was hitting in a lot of places. I'm surprised that's the best compromise overall between performance and surfing.

Steve

All VLN racecars are setup like that, they bounce through sometimes, especially in the Karussel. My friends raceteams M3 front splitter was ~1cm thinner on the right side than on the left after some laps :)

The Viper hardly has an interior anyway, and are you sure the ACR isn't road legal? I have seen two on the road, but I guess the tires could've been different. Both the ZR1 and GT-R have adjustable suspension btw, though both have electronic controls for the settings. I don't see how the ACR is much different in method compared to the GT3RS.
Correction; Viper is barely street legal in the US-- However, would you drive it on the road? I know it is fast on the ring, but come on..

Removed: radio, speakers, amplifier, trunk carpet, hood pad and tire inflater
And regarding the aerodynamic upgrades: 1000 lbf (4.4 kN) of down-force at 150 mph (240 km/h), or roughly 10 times the downforce the stock Viper can produce at 150 mph.

Comparing a RACE spec car with STREET spec car isn't the same.

To quote;
The ZR1 was tested with production-spec Michelin Pilot tires, factory-spec ride height and suspension settings were untouched. Even the fuel was normal pump gas.

Throw some C6.R Aero kit on a ZR1 and see what it does, and don't think it hasn't been done before

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S7li4xawIw[/YOUTUBE]

Woah, another surprise, Nice!

And It's fully street legal. Id rather run to the store in one of these over some 16,000rpm super track day machines.