Superchargers are for pussies! [Viper ACR does 7:22 @ 'Ring]

I'd liken the ACR to the 911 GT2 and the ZR1 to the 911 Turbo.

Exactly -- I don't hear people whining and bitching about the GT2 or GT3 RS.

Uh, Jeremy Clarkson? He complains about them all the time and I would agree. They are not as good on the street as a regular Turbo. But they are not designed to be in the same category anyway. Neither is the ACR to the ZR1. Different design philosophies.

The real question is what would happen if you put some slicks on the ZR1 and set it up like the ACR... then we'll really see what's what.

Last edited:
hahaha wow mis-shifts twice into 5th gear and sets record lap. seriously w/e transmission is in that viper is worse than some auto trannys. it feels sort of industrial grade, like it was designed to just be able to withstand the power.

Not entirely true, privateers can buy a C6R from Pratt & Miller. Of course I don't think the C6R is street legal (these are the cars they run at LeMans/ALMS) and if I remember correctly they are stripped and caged. I don't know much about the Vipers run at these events but some privateers do run them.

I'd liken the ACR to the 911 GT2 and the ZR1 to the 911 Turbo.

In terms of street-worthiness to track-hound:

ZR1
ACR
C6R

C6R is not really a production Vette though.
Uh, Jeremy Clarkson? He complains about them all the time
You mean same Jeremy Clarkson who complained about the Z06 having too rough of a ride while absolutely loving the Ford GT that has an even rougher ride?

I think what we're comparing here is apples and oranges. The ACR sounds like it's designed to be a track car. The fact that they did this run with slicks, a race-suspension setup, a huge wing, and the weight reduction option demonstrates this.

The ACR was not run on slicks. It used the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires that come on it from the factory. These are the same tires that are on the on the 997 GT2 and the E46 M3 CSL. They are indeed r-compounds, but anymore there are several cars that come with r-comps from the factory.

Pilot Sport Cup:
mi_sportcup_ci2_l.jpg