Superchargers are for pussies! [Viper ACR does 7:22 @ 'Ring]

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Haha, eat it ZR1!

112_0808_02l+dodge_viper_ACR+front_three_quarters_view.jpg

http://www.motortrend.com/features/...dodge_viper_acr_nurburgring_record/index.html

Video: http://www.motortrend.com/av/featur...viper_acr_nurburgring_record_video/index.html

Woulda been faster too if the guy could actually learn to shift. :lol:

Thanks to TomCat:

On a related note, the Viper ACR circled the NRing in 7:22! :D

http://www.motortrend.com/features/...dodge_viper_acr_nurburgring_record/index.html

And it was independently timed with MotorTrend invited along.

Last edited:
I have never really liked the car just because it was a huge engine with no regards to anything else, but damn I will have to tip my hat to this thing. 7:22, that's amazing. Toyota and Nissan need to hurry up and release the LF-A/Vspec so 5 of the 6 fastest cars around the ring will be from Japan/USA with a sketchy zonda team being the lone euro car.

I wonder if Clarkson will mention it or if he will continue to ignorantly say "everything is done better by europeans" :rofl:

why the hell is he always bouncing off the rev limiter...its really starting to piss me off as im watching the video

I wonder how low they could have gotten it if they had done more laps and if he had gotten used to the car. The fastest time was only the third lap :shock:.

why the hell is he always bouncing off the rev limiter...its really starting to piss me off as im watching the video

Its probably because its a bad point of the track to shift. I'm watching the video as I type this. You really don't want to get off the throttle in a corner or transition to shift in a car like this, it could throw it off balance. Better to keep the power flowing, I doubt he could go any faster by trying to shift, and I doubt the overbuilt V10 minds.

dayem :jawdrop:

no leafspring comments yet???

shoulda got walter rohl on that shit....

also i like how theres so much torque, the gear stick is litterally dancing around in the gate thingy lol

Daaaamn - what an absolute brute of a car. I want one. Badly.

/me waits for the thread to degenerate into the usual 'ring-ZR1-GT-R slinging fest...

The change on the Viper is so slow that it would be quicker to leave it on the rev limiter rather than try and change gear. That lap and indeed their whole car is completely ruined by the idiotic gearbox.

I watched up to past the Karussell and never saw him get past 4th. Just near Schwedenkreuz (apologise for german spelling) fast cars are hitting 270+ and he is still in bloody 4th! Just stick a higher diff ratio in it (~300clicks in 6th) and 1. it will be a WHOLE lot faster and 2. It will make a hell of a lot more sense.

ZR1 isn't a stripped out race car either, 4 seconds isn't that much faster. Although I can see 15 seconds or so coming off that time with decent gear ratios.

ZR1 isn't a stripped out race car either, 4 seconds isn't that much faster.

Does 40 lbs really make that huge of a difference? That's the weight saved by the optional strip-shit-out package.

That is quite an incredible time.

Especially if you regard the driver:

a) he hit the rev limiter way too often (results from the lorry gearbox :D)
b) he seriously stepped of the gas in the br?nnchen part for not losing rear traction, he mainly understeered (which is an impressive thing to do in a viper :D)
c) he missed a shift (results from the lorry gearbox :D)
d) he shifts as quickly as my grandma (results from the lorry gearbox :D)

I think if they put a real racedriver in there that has nordschleife Viper knowledge like a Zakspeed guy, they can easily shave that down to sub-20s. On the other hand, that thing isn't road legal in Germany iirc so it probably won't count as "road car" record. :)

Still, impressive, if you take into consideration: The Zakspeed Viper GTS-R did a 8:40.695 during the 24h race. That is ~half the GP Track included, but still, damn fast :D

If I had the choice I would always pick a viper over a corvette or gtr, it is just so incredible over the top :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Why bother stripping it out then?!?!?!?!?!

Roll cage etc. means its hardly a daily driveable proposition, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

On the other hand, that thing isn't road legal in Germany iirc so it probably won't count as "road car" record. :)

Why isn't it road legal? The tires?

I wonder how low they could have gotten it if they had done more laps and if he had gotten used to the car. The fastest time was only the third lap :shock:.

I doubt it. The tires could be gone by then, maybe they didn't pack enough fuel for more. Who knows...
Anyway: The Sport Auto peeps who do the kinda official times round the Ring said, that with road cars and tires, usually the first hot lap will produce the best time.

Last edited:
tires, wings, sidepipes emissions........ THIS IS GERMANYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY we have rules you have to obey ja!

Sadly.

Isn't the stock Viper sold there though? This is the same engine.

And you can't have wings? WTF?