SUV/Compact SUV

Firecat

Politically Charged
Currently i'm driving an '04 M3, but will shortly be changing that for a new car. I'm not looking for something as expensive as that, and right now another sports car is likely out of the question. I've been carrying a lot of goods for work, and needs something that can carry goods, but that I'll also enjoy and want to drive.

I'll get to the point. I'm really interested in the Land Rover Freelander 2 (LR2). I've always loved the look of the Range Rover sport, and this SUV looks similar but more affordable. I probably won't be doing much (if any) off road driving, but there's something about the brand that I find charming (and i'm not the only one). I've heard there are some problems with previous models, have they been worked out for the most part?

I like the Toyota 4Runner also, but it's a little too common. Another car i'm looking at is the Mazda CX-9 (similar price to the Land Rover when fully equipped).

Should I be looking at anything else?

I wouldn't go with the Freelander, it's just a Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute. I think they look goofy, but that's just me.

If you need to haul goods but are not doing offroading why not get a luxury estate, like a V70? You really don't need an SUV unless you are towing and most SUVs don't have truck suspensions for carrying heavy loads anyway. What about a BMW 530xi Sport Wagon?

Right now, i'm thinking of giving BMW a break. I have one, my bro has one, and my parents have one (they have the new 3 series wagon, which they have suggested I take, i'm just not sure i'm a wagon guy yet).

Looks aside, what do you think of Land Rover as a brand?

If you need to haul goods but are not doing offroading why not get a luxury estate, like a V70?

Just say "wagon". You are not British.:rolleyes:

As for the Freelander, the first generation was a piece of shit. We have one and iy has had quite a few problems. Not sure about the new generation however.

Last edited:
As for the Freelander, the first generation was a piece of shit. We have one and iy has had quite a few problems. Not sure about the new generation however.

That's the thing. Pretty much every american review I read said the freelander bombed, but was very popular in Britain.

Re: Freelander 2, I read that Top Gear gave it the SUV of the year award.

That's the thing. Pretty much every american review I read said the freelander bombed, but was very popular in Britain.

It may have been popular but piece have been falling off the one we had. The pedals felt disconnected and the power was very weak.

and so they should. as a big Land Rover fan, i know quite a lot about this Freelander (or LR2) from magazines. and my driving instructor works at a Land Rover Experience centre :mrgreen:

i would go for the freelander every time. it's built better than most competitors, and has more off-road ability. huge improvement over the old car. the i6 engine is better than the old K-series petrol and the V6, and the new TD4 engine is better too.

go on, you know which one you should get ;)

http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Vehicles/LR2/overview.htm

May I suggest the New Ford Escape or Mercury Mariner.

I've honestly never considered mercury, i'll look into that. The interior of the ford isn't really my style.

i would go for the freelander every time. it's built better than most competitors, and has more off-road ability.

The X3 and RDX? I agree about the off-road ability. Even though I might not go off-road, it is kind of nice to know that it can.

I have about one month to decide. I'm going to start making inquiries on payments

Other suggestions:

2005-present Mitsubishi Outlander
2007-present Suzuki XL-7
2008 Mazda Tribute
Nissan Murano

Just get a wagon. The Escape/Mariner/Freelander isn't really all that big so you aren't going to have huge amounts of space. There are lots of good wagons you could buy, the V70 was already mentioned and I'll recommend it as well. It's got vast of amounts of space in the back, an excellent interior and looks good (in my opinion). If you get the 2.5T it'll be quicker than the new Escape/Mariner/Freelander, and it'll MUCH quicker if you get the V70R which also comes with a 6-speed manual.

The downside is the price. Though a V70 2.5T and the new Freelander cost almost the exact same in base form, the V70 will end up being more expensive with options. The V70R will be in the lower $40K range.

For a similar price, the Audi A4 Avant is also a good choice. The Audi doesn't look as good (again in my opinion) and doesn't have the space of the Volvo. On the upside, it comes standard with a manual and AWD and probably drives a bit better as well.

If you want nearly the amount of space as the V70 and AWD like the Audi at a lower price, then get a Subaru Legacy Wagon. You can't get a manual, but if you don't need/want the luxury of the Volvo or Audi and want the speed of a V70R then it won't matter. The Legacy GT Wagon is quite rapid and costs in the low $30K range and the 2.5i Limited Wagon with the I-4 is in the mid $20K range.

Dont listen to jetsetter...hes just listing random suv's :p

although, i think the nissan murano would be a good choice.
i would also recommend:
Honda Pilot
Acura MDX/RDX (depends what kind of size you are looking for)
Chevy Trailblazer
Infiniti FX
Lexus RX

Thanks for the ideas. The dealers for Ford, Honda, Acura, Mazda, and Mitsubishi are all close together....I'm gonna hit them tomorrow. And then check out Land Rover which is a bit of a drive.

Dont listen to jetsetter...hes just listing random suv's :p

although, i think the nissan murano would be a good choice.
i would also recommend:
Honda Pilot
Acura MDX/RDX (depends what kind of size you are looking for)
Chevy Trailblazer
Infiniti FX
Lexus RX

I have read magazine articles with all of the SUVs I listed in them. It is likely that I know more about the SUVs above than you do. Each of the SUVs I listed have been significantly redesigned and improved.

Again, just get an estate. You obviously don't need an offroader, as you mentioned. And if you do need to go a bit offroad, Subaru and Volvo both have such models available: Volvo XC70 and Subaru Legacy outback. Both have enough space to carry shitloads of stuff around and are capable of outrunning your everyday Rav4 from the stoplights.

The Audi A4 avant is also a good choise, although it doesn't come standard with the Quattro 4WD, at least not where I live. Then there are also Audi A6 Avant Quattro, BMW 530Xi, Mercedes Benz E280/E350T 4Matic. If you like Land Rovers so much, buy the Jaguar X-Type estate with the 3L V6 and 4WD. I can also suggest the Mazda 6 estate, with the 2.3 engine and you can also have it with 4WD, although that eliminates the possibility of a manual gearbox. What else....Skoda Octavia RS has gotten a lot of good press. VW Passat with let's say 1.8T 4Motion ? Or perhaps the 2.8 V6 ? Oooooorr maybe Ford Mondeo ST220 estate ? Granted, doesn't look that good, but the boot space is hhhhhhuge.

I guarantee you all of the ones I mentioned will be better to drive than your average SUV. They are all also much better looking than SUVs. Now I don't know where you live so it's possible that many of my options are not sold where you are, but my point remains the same: DO NOT BUY AN SUV !! For the love of god, just don't. A good estate will be so much better than some Toyota 4Runner, which by the way in my books isn't exactly a small car....

Buy a good estate with 4WD and you'll be set.

what about volvo estates. the new sport models are really nice IMO

Something to consider, in regards to history and pedigree:

Land Rover = serious offroader that uninformed Americans think is a luxury truck, because it is British.

Range Rover - Uh, the opposite! :) If you want the prestige, the pedigree, the history, go with this.

Range Rover

Lol, perhaps if you want to pay thousands in repair bills. Reliability sucks ass.