Suzuki SV650 reliability?

tigger

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'88 Vic Wagon, '92 Honda VFR
I have a chance to buy a '06 Suzuki SV650 cheap. I like the way it rides, I love the sound and it's more than fast enough to suit me. But it has 20,000 miles on it.

Do these bikes last any longer than their inline-4 cousins or is this one nearing the end of its life? It appears to be well maintained and it's in good condition cosmetically. The mileage is the only thing that worries me as I would be riding it a lot.

You can figure that most any recent Japanese four stroke will generally make it to 80-100K without too much drama. 20K isn't much if it hasn't been ragged out.

Wow that long? I figured that a relatively mild V-twin would be good for quite a longer, but I know a couple guys who killed their 600cc sport bikes at 30-40k miles. Then again, they ride like idiots.

Pretty much, yeah. Double that for any liquid cooled Honda.

No matter what it is, though, car or bike, it won't last long if you insist on riding it one hot quarter mile after another. And sport bikes generally are piloted that way -at least when owned by idiots.

True. These guys think that a bike with 40k miles or 10 years on it is basically worthless (because it would be after a year under them). You know, the "when I get my 'busa it's gonna be on, you better get a bike that can keep up bro ..." kind of guys. :rolleyes:

Not that I have much room to talk since I've been through so many cars. At least they weren't anything good.

Deal fell through on the SV650 though. Hopefully another one comes up soon. Tell me Spectre, how much damage would a bike have to take before you wouldn't trust it? There's a motorcycle salvage place near me that has a great selection of bikes with light damage (laid down, bent forks, seat subframe torn up, etc etc).

Last edited:
Questions of economic repair aside: Laid down without other significant impact is usually salvagable and just means you might need some new engine pieces and plastic. Slightly bent forks is usually not too objectionable either (5 degrees), but significantly bent forks mean that the steering head tube welds (and indeed the rest of the frame welds) may be questionable. Seat subframe getting bent isn't uncommon either due to too many idiots doing wheelies and flipping over; but again, the question is whether or not the frame took damage.

Motorcycle engines are usually quite cheap. The question isn't whether the engine module is intact, it's whether the frame itself is still sound. Anything that bends the frame or potentially stresses the welds beyond their rated limits is problematic, which means avoiding bikes that have taken significant longitudinal impacts.

Good luck on your search for the SV!

I'm planning on selling the Ninjette in order to get an SV650... but there's so many choices for the stock bikes in addition to so many aftermarket mods/parts too. :D

Questions of economic repair aside: Laid down without other significant impact is usually salvagable and just means you might need some new engine pieces and plastic. Slightly bent forks is usually not too objectionable either (5 degrees), but significantly bent forks mean that the steering head tube welds (and indeed the rest of the frame welds) may be questionable. Seat subframe getting bent isn't uncommon either due to too many idiots doing wheelies and flipping over; but again, the question is whether or not the frame took damage.

Motorcycle engines are usually quite cheap. The question isn't whether the engine module is intact, it's whether the frame itself is still sound. Anything that bends the frame or potentially stresses the welds beyond their rated limits is problematic, which means avoiding bikes that have taken significant longitudinal impacts.
Thanks man. Chassis damage is definitely my primary concern, so I think I'll just avoid bikes that have been plowed into something or rear ended. I'm not really looking for something that needs torn apart and rebuilt, I get enough of that with my cars. But as always, my budget is tight.

Good luck on your search for the SV!

I'm planning on selling the Ninjette in order to get an SV650... but there's so many choices for the stock bikes in addition to so many aftermarket mods/parts too. :D
Ha thanks. I really hope I can find another one in my price range. But it's not a big deal because I won't be looking too hard for at least another month. FFS, I think it's supposed to snow here tomorrow. I should get my Yamaha running, buy some tubes and run screws through the tires. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I bet you could get a good bit for your "Ninjette". Those little things don't seem to depreciate at all.

Just another vote of confidence for the SV motor, my Vstrom has pretty much the same unit. Just hit 20k last week, you wouldn't even know. Many people on the vstrom forums have done +200K on theirs now and still going strong. I don't think mine was worn in until I'd passed 10K.

Modern bikes are built to last these days, well jap ones anyway :)

I have a chance to buy a '06 Suzuki SV650 cheap. I like the way it rides, I love the sound and it's more than fast enough to suit me. But it has 20,000 miles on it.

Do these bikes last any longer than their inline-4 cousins or is this one nearing the end of its life? It appears to be well maintained and it's in good condition cosmetically. The mileage is the only thing that worries me as I would be riding it a lot.

I have utterly abused my 2002 SV650, and except for two dead batteries caused by months of neglect, it's always started up just fine.

I have never winterized it and never had problems, even in Colorado winters (where it was for the first couple years, left outside with a cloth cover over it).

Get it. The SV is one of the best bikes on the market.