Swisstaly mini-Roadtrip 2019, attempt number two

DaBoom

Worlds fastest Amish
Car(s)
Various BMWs, a Swift cabrio, Benelli TreK
As the longer trip isn't really looking like a biking trip for me, I decided to look towards the countries I know to provide a great ride (again). Since I ended up passengering two years ago, having a second go with Switzerland and Italy sounded good in my head. :mrgreen: This plan has already gone through several wildly different drafts, but I think the main form is getting clear enough to post about it.

Google maps is being rather difficult at this time of year, but you should get the idea from this. Basically a sort of figure 8, starting from Italy, heading west through Switzerland. Back to Italy and then to Austria via Switzerland again.
Nqq_-RXWDStGUrRYO7iA0ta18w-hEq2V5S1MiuDrthddYlr60zZpHqNX8005rEv87hDV7X9HxPkn7f_kP2gpijfeAZX1kpMV1r0m9aGS-fI-oiraUPwc0OyaN3IqCLHRQrigpB--qrS58CZjFu49ZOpqbhRmZHJnVWo8BAkWJGKhoq6oZ49my27y3QxUrZxlkUMz3C2Lpff2oCpJR7u8nTVDofUeOyfSzjjBuePR1SntAwgJJWUup_9qRU56zBdaz_T1u4EEKRY-eYUPuT79VKdqIhXjeYSE9X2U4A0nxXa8oC2sHcnpk1nGNRHeQYRzHjCWPXLfJSeooO-5VGVakB2amEzla1ZjnKC5aP1F829vYkyTqdJULiUefn4Yg4Tx7CnPi_sSvNt7lb3qlQ6vn-FDk3As-CMqiuknzjUZrVbJ92Z7mTvVN3ykViB1zUX6M7MCS-an8ROnTvaEXljPsG0O8lFUzugVXOfev8WZ-D3nkNUxj6bjKgLEXwNG890N3obITtd1OHqeCPLywiWfhyGUsCN7TiNJ5YdD1iAUDig7Vl8CXodzm65SXp3I9qhnlx0bc3zSwaew3RQ_DWkS3rzsXAXgqOtGxw6Fa54-mBMKZ6xWzW_PV4Lo4g5mZntFhD8yPTkU-PEsmDAXYsNk3n7kcBv6JUcijyNNUfC0MUKLHzoMmh9PZr-RVQ=w560-h346-no

Apart from great roads, there is a plan of visiting a Moto Guzzi museum at the Italian lakes, intersecting some Texans on the way. Some mountain railways and rollercoasters are also handily on the route.

While nothing is set in stone yet, the base schedule of the current plan is setting off from Italian Dolomites on Thursday, August 1st, to make it to Italian lakes for Sunday, before Italians close the Moto Guzzi place for their holidays.

Last edited:
Reactions: lip
Last edited:
I am highly likely to be joining this with the Model 3. Range-wise should be quite doable, day lengths are all well below normal range, plus there are quite a few chargers throughout the Alps. I'll still do due diligence and plan out my charging options along the route in some detail, to avoid surprises.

Haven't made my summer plans yet, but keeping an eye on yours :D this might line up well with a potential Beetle farewell tour ?

I'm putting myself down as a possible for now, finances will dictate my final decision.

I is in! Somehow, the plan is to get an Alfa 166 3.0L or better for the journey that will then be added to @DaBoom 's collection of cars. :D

I plan to book the time off for this tomorrow, I actually bought extra holiday this year so I can do it! I'm working on two days to drive down from Calais, the German border is conveniently in the middle of the journey so I can book into a hotel there instead of having to stay in France. Ew.

I'm guessing we would be looking at arriving at the start point late afternoon/early evening?

Last edited:
I'm guessing we would be looking at arriving at the start point late afternoon/early evening?

We'll probably meet up during wednesday afternoon indeed. Plan is to set off early-ish on Thursday (Aug 1st), everything outside of that is up to people attending (as people will be approaching from various directions. You could even join in on the way on Thursday, if getting there starts looking too long for Wednesday.

I'll put myself down as probably. This is more interesting to me then Ukraine and Romania.

Vacation time is booked, I have the week after ringmeet down as well with a plan like last year to fly back Thursday the 15th or earlier and just not go to work. So if there’s something else like visit Belgium, I’m down for that. I went down to Stuttgart last year and hung with @thomas and @ninjacoco for a few days seeing the Porsche and part of the Mercedes museum which was absolutely the best.

No flights are booked just yet because I’m waiting for more airline points because I’m a whore. :D

Booked my train tickets now, either wisely or stupidly I went for the ‘Brexit promise’ deal that basically adds free cancellation that isn’t usually included. You bastards are stuck with me now.

I will of course be in the Smart.

So I took an evening, went through Mikko's planned routes in the sheet, and mapped everything out in ABRP for making the drive in the Tesla. Results for almost every day are something like this:

These aren't even all available chargers, only higher-powered ones (CCS with 50+ kW). And I'll only take one or two short stops each day, easily combined with lunch and other random activities that tend to happen. Most days should be even driveable on a single charge, so given overnight charging (again, available pretty much everywhere we plan to stay) I won't technically need any stops at all.

Summarized: the trip is indeed very doable in the Model 3, even driving at Roadtrip speeds :) So this pretty much confirms it, I'm in. Will book vacation time first thing on Monday.

huh huh, number two

1557615662640-png.3555507

^ I wouldn't take the route through Zug, as these are just boring town-to-town roads or highways with a lot of traffic during rush hour.

As a swiss local I can tell you that this red marked route through Glarus and Altdorf is much better. With this the awesome Klausen Pass is on the menu, you don't want to miss that one, it's one of my favourites. - The time frame is about the same with both routes:
1557615662640.png[img]

Whichever one gets me close to the Beretta gun factory is good. I’m told GM sent two Chevy berettas to the factory as a token of “sorry we took your name for a shitty car” lawsuit.

1557615662640-png.3555507

^ I wouldn't take the route through Zug, as these are just boring town-to-town roads or highways with a lot of traffic during rush hour.

As a swiss local I can tell you that this red marked route through Glarus and Altdorf is much better. With this the awesome Klausen Pass is on the menu, you don't want to miss that one, it's one of my favourites. - The time frame is about the same with both routes:
1557615662640.png[img]

Might not have had enough waypoints, but that route was my intention indeed. Thanks for the correction, better make sure other routes are correct as well.

Reactions: lip