Take us for a drive in your country

I use the Free Video Converter.

However, the quality is limited with the free version. When you want to convert HD videos in high quality, you should buy the upgrade.

The 21 minute video I posted above, is unconverted, directly as it came from the camera chip and is 1.8 GB. My camera records in mp4.

For editing I use Adobe Premiere. It can handle Quicktime perfectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 47
See if Handbrake will do .avi.

I use premiere for major editing, that opens .mov files without a problem too.

Okay, as already announced above, here is the journey back from Oldenburg to Wilhelmshaven one hour later (and with the weather being even worse):

For the moment I'm satisfied with the achieved quality. In this unedited state, there is hardly any loss, when you upload it to the internet.

However, I have set my eyes on a very solid suction cup holder, which weighs 750 gramms and can carry cameras, that weigh up to 1.7 kg. But I already learned, that mounting those has to be done carefully, since it could be a potential danger in case of a crash and then my insurance wouldn't pay.

I guess this is a good thread to ask, can someone recommend a program transfer .mov files to .avi?

My camera records in .mov but Windows movie maker can't read that file. Should I use another editor? What do you guys use?

I'm new to the video making thing so I need some help... Also, how big are those 10+ minute videos if you want to post them in 720p?

I use Xvid4PSP. Don't let the name full you. It can convert a lot of formats. It's also free.

http://www.winnydows.com/#Downloads?XviD4PSP

Look for the full official versions. I think the latest is 5.037.

As for size, 10 minute 720P @ 3000 kbps should be around 450 megs.

3000 Kbit is a bit low, though. I usually set my encoders to 20.000, because when you upload it to Vimeo or Amazon, they will also re-encode it there and then you have double quality loss, when you used a low bitrate in the first place.

In my videos above for example, you can see that Vimeo has trouble with dark scenes and low contrast. It gets blurry then. Not good. I hope they come up with a better solution in the future.

Last edited:
3000 KB bit rate isn't too bad. I think it's a good compromise for viewing online knowing the online host (youtube, vimeo, etc) will degrade it. Also, a lot of the 720P torrents average this. Having too high of a bitrate will generate a really really big file when at the end of day, they'll severely cut it down. For example, I took your 2nd vid above and downloaded it. The file size is 258 megs @ 3200 kbps @ 13.38 mins. I have no doubt this was originally well in excess of 1.5 gig size if you encoded at 20000 kbps (by the way, when you say 20.000 I'm assuming that's 20 megs bitrate).

Here's some examples of vids that originally uploaded at 3000-3100 kbps. Youtube re-econded these to about 2000 kbps:
Me at Horse Thief Mile
Ultimate Factories - Mercedes Benz

Anyways, I don't wanna derail this thread too much. Just pointing out that when they re-encode it, they don't always cut it down in half. Sometimes, a little, sometimes, a lot. It's almost like they have some kind of threshold and increase little by little after that.

Last edited:
Messing around with camera placement:
(Watch for the idiot cyclists in the median)

EDIT: Apparently my second video was too long. I'll trim it and reload it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Finally got my GoPro and this is my first (albeit rather failed) attempt with it. Next one will have proper positioning, so the a-pillar won't be obscuring most of the view and audio will be recorded separately for higher quality.

That's a very nice and steady picture. But you are right: Sound sucks ;)

I ordered this today:

417GADQQNSL.jpg

Hopefully that will also enable me to make steady movies. It seems to be extremely stiff and can be used almost anywhere with a flat surface:

51KDCAS6ENL.jpg

Last edited:
So today going back from work I shot this:

Shot with phone camera mounted with a rubbish stand on an aging alfa, so apologies for the quality goes without saying.

Yeah, I'm very surprised by it.

Me too - thats very pro! Strangely enough I have pretty much the exact same suction cup (only mine cost me ?4 off eBay) but a camera that weighs 500g. I need to do more tests, but it would be great to be able to get shots like that.

Stay tuned. My new suction cup holder is on its way and that is supposed to carry 1.5 kg