Take us for a drive in your country

I suppose this is as good a place for this, highlights from the bobtail dashcam when I went out in it last weekend.

I keep saying things to the camera but you can't hear most of them and it's like I'm just talking to myself like a nutter. Nothing new there, then.

Yesterday I remembered to A: put the card in the dashcam, B: Plug it in and C: Clean the lens so here's a mini tour of the town as I was returning from an afternoon driving the bobtail. Colour is much better than before. The weather was all over the place yesterday, it had been raining just before this and there is still water on the lens at the very start.

Uploaded, but forgot to post this. A sort of shortcut ride from place to the new (hopefully some year) MotoGP race venue and my new home track, Kymiring. Route through main roads would be faster, but you can probably tell from gear chosen that it wasn't really the point. One of few rides to that direction when the camera co-operated and I didn't get distracted by some trails on the way. :D There's a suspected ignition issue, hence issues revving.

OK, now I have a driving video as well. :smile:

View: https://youtu.be/VwA-2n2HWRs
Notable:
3:40min: Audiot overtakes while I was doing the speed limit just to turn off 700 metres further up the road
15:50min onward: a couple of nice views of the sunset
30:15min: momentary sillyness ensues
38:30min: BMW overtakes via a left-hand turn lane just to turn off a kilometre further up the road
42:30min: BMW overtakes while I was doing the speed limit, I stay within the speed limits and catch up to him at 47:00min and he's no further a minute later when I turn off

Another not-average Video: hyperlapse of my drive back from Ringmeet. I took two detours via B-roads to avoid traffic jams, one I wasn't able to avoid so you can skip 29:30min to 33:40min...

View: https://youtu.be/VDC_Ty3zJF0

I was immediately interested in the red Spitfire and then the tractors, followed by the railway crossing with no barriers. The superspeed blue Micra at 19:29 got my attention, as did Niko Bellic's cousin in the Passat. Dare I ask what happened there?

I mostly watched at double speed, which made the cars (and the motorbike/sidecar) look even more like they were from an 80s arcade game than they would otherwise. It also made the music at 34:32 sound like a busy floppy disk drive. Looks like a pleasant drive overall.

Holy crap, you played a hyperlapse video which sped up my drive 10x at double speed and caught all that? I doff my hat to you, good sir. (y)

Railroad crossings without barriers aren't that uncommon here, especially in rural areas with one train per direction every hour or so. To be honest, I didn't drive that quickly so even though the Micra overtook me he barely drove over 130 (kph of course).

The romanian ran out of gas and lost his wallet (yeah yeah, old trick...) but he paypal'd me money so I bought him a tank of gas. I am always happy to help, but I would never help someone, no matter which nationality, with money or gas without getting the money upfront.

The romanian ran out of gas and lost his wallet (yeah yeah, old trick...) but he paypal'd me money so I bought him a tank of gas. I am always happy to help, but I would never help someone, no matter which nationality, with money or gas without getting the money upfront.
Let's hope they did friends&family PayPal and not commercial purchase PayPal, so they can't ask for a refund...

D'uh, I'm not stupid... :razz:

Snipped from the "Things that annoy me"-Thread:

I haven't driven extensively in Germany but from @Eye-Q 's hyperlapse it seems like a lot are two lane and that's surprising to me.

We have lots of fast two lane roads here too but they are a different class of road entirely (with different restrictions). Could be the same and I'm just ignorant, happy to be corrected.
Yes, a lot of Autobahns are indeed two lanes per direction (plus hard shoulder), but not all two lane roads I drove in the video were Autobahns as well. There are some federal A-roads with or without hard shoulder, sometimes even with a divider between the different directions, for example from 22:09min to 22:48min. All other multi-lane roads in that video were indeed Autobahns.

The easiest way to know that you are on an Autobahn is the colour of the signage: when the signs are blue you're on an Autobahn and speed limits only apply when there is a posted speed limit, when the signs are yellow you aren't on an Autobahn and a speed limit of 100 kph applies if not posted otherwise.

That makes perfect sense, signs here are similar - green signs for A-road dual carriageways and blue for motorways. I'll admit I didn't take much notice of that so will have to watch again, maybe at 4x (40x) speed this time. :LOL:

The easiest way to know that you are on an Autobahn is the colour of the signage: when the signs are blue you're on an Autobahn and speed limits only apply when there is a posted speed limit, when the signs are yellow you aren't on an Autobahn and a speed limit of 100 kph applies if not posted otherwise.
Point of nitpicking order: Derestricted speedlimits don't require an Autobahn.
Unless posted otherwise, there is no speedlimit outside towns if the road has at least two lanes per direction or has a physical barrier between the directions. That can happen to a non-Autobahn road, which is why you sometimes see Bundesstraßen with two lanes per direction and 100km/h signs. Those wouldn't be necessary except to avoid triggering the derestriction.

See https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/stvo_2013/__3.html 3-2-c

Reactions: Hok