Tales of Vista, forceware drivers, a HD ready LCD, HDMI and one unhappy guy

swek

Retired Moderator
Car(s)
Had a bicycle once.
Morning folks

As some of you know I recently bought a Samsung LE23R32B LCD. At first I connected it via VGA which worked like a charm. Recently I bought a DVI - HDMI cable and that's when the trouble began. For some reason the Nvidia forceware driver doesn't allow me to select refresh rates above 30Hz in the native solution of 1360x768

I tried forcing 60Hz via powerstrip and other tools but to no avail. For some reason, maybe because it's the second monitor or the fact that I'm running a 8800GTS it doesn't work. Other refresh rates just arent available.

I looked around but other than the fact that there's some Vista/nvidia/HDTV trouble I found nothing.

Tech wizards of Finalgear work your magic.

Nvidia has horrid Vista support. I have a friend who comes through about as loud as a mouse on Ventrillo due to Nvidia drivers + Vista. Good times.

Windows XP = solution. :p

I know but I really need to get this to work since I'm using the media center to stream a to the LCD via my 360. XP doesn't offer me that.

Do you still have Ubuntu on this PC? You can use MediaTomb to stream stuff to your 360 (it's what I use to stream stuff from my Ubuntu box to my PS3).

Or you could just go back to VGA, since you said that worked fine.

^^ yawn

Thanks chaos. That might work. One thing though. Are the ubuntu 8800 issues fixed by now? I don't want to have that trouble again.

Which issues were those again? The 8800 is officially supported by Nvidia's driver, if that's what you mean (with SLI, too).

ForceWare for Vista = TOTAL SHIT. I can't even install the f*cking drivers (I get a black screen) so I'm using the default Windows drivers. Unless you're playing games I would stick with the defaults ones.

Crapsticles.

Been looking at running a 32' LCD as a once for all solution here, I'll keep an eye on this to see how you fair out. How come you switched from VGA to HDMI ? How do you get sound ?

Crapsticles.

Been looking at running a 32' LCD as a once for all solution here, I'll keep an eye on this to see how you fair out. How come you switched from VGA to HDMI ? How do you get sound ?

I switched because I wanted to free my LCD's VGA port. I had both my 360 and the LCD connected to it.

So far I found nothing of help but countless threads of people with similar problems.
It's a really annoying problem since nvidia could easily fix it by allowing users to set any refresh rate instead of their auto detection BS which doesn't work.

I understand that they fear people destroying their panels with unsuported modes but come on. Most modern panels can deal with unsuported refresh rates.

Atm. I'm really thinking about switching back to XP especially since another problem with my router and Vista has emerged.

I guess its the TVs fault for not accepting it. It only has to do 576p/i, 480p/i, 720p and 1080i over the hdmi... Connect the box using component cables... With WXGA your best option is pretty much VGA...

It's too late now. I already switched back to XP.

This at least allows me to properly stream to my 360 (another Vista issue I had encountered).

I'll check back later to tell you if it works with HDMI.

Atm. I'm really thinking about switching back to XP especially since another problem with my router and Vista has emerged.

Are you using wireless with your PC then?

Since I've started using Vista my internet via wireless has become shockingly bad. I'm using a wireless adapter with Vista patch, but it doesn't work so good for whatever reason. Terrible for gaming :( But great for everything else.

I'm actually getting faster internet because of this problem and am replacing my router and adapter with the Wireless N ones that support Vista.

Using XP is not an option because it can't do the graphics decent games now want (DX10).

Wow, this is really weird. Yesterday there was an optional update for my video card, so I went ahead and selected it for update. I rebooted and look what happened!