Talk me out of a 1999 BMW M Roadster

MadCat360

Forum Addict
Car(s)
*Carless* Waaahhh
I want this car. Like real bad.

Autotrader page

I can make it work. I can buy it now. The car is tight, and seems to be very well taken care of.

Any reason why I shouldn't? I have read everything on Bimmerforums, the issues seem negligible.

Why should we talk you out of it? It's an epic car, though I'd prefer the coupe. In blue.

But if you want, it's a 14 year old BMW with 100k miles on it. Unless expensive maintenance has already been done on it, it'll be coming.

Most people would get rid of an older car to avoid maintenance fees. Either that, or something is already wrong with it and the dealer wants to pass the issue down to you. This car does not appear to be the 320bhp model, it looks like the more tepid 240bhp model.

Most people would get rid of an older car to avoid maintenance fees. Either that, or something is already wrong with it and the dealer wants to pass the issue down to you. This car does not appear to be the 320bhp model, it looks like the more tepid 240bhp model.

Yeah, there is no way I could get a 2001/2002 with the E46 engine in it for my budget. Those are 20k+.

I'm going to have a shop owner I trust go through it. I know about the bigtime rear subframe issue and how to spot it, so if that's not there and since the bushings feel fine, I think it's okay.

Wow, that holds some value, 13K for a 14 year old car, even with the issues you mentioned.

I'm 23 as well. Why, oh why, can't I afford one?

Oh, because they're 40-50K USD here, that's why...

Go for it!

Has the driver's side rear fender been resprayed? It seems a little bit darker than the rest of the car. Make sure it's not been drifted into any solid objects.

Has the driver's side rear fender been resprayed? It seems a little bit darker than the rest of the car. Make sure it's not been drifted into any solid objects.
Agree, it's color looks off. Might just be the light, might be a minor fender-bender, might be the remains of a big shunt.

Sorry, I can?t.

Buy it and enjoy it.

Apparently the rear subframe problem is a huge deal. I do not want this happening to my car:

subframe1.jpg

And the local BMW fab shop is going to charge $3,600 to fix/reinforce it.

It is such a great car but... that cost might be too high.

Maybe it's already been done?

Maybe it's already been done?

Maybe. Even with the reinforcement it still puts question into the whole back end of the car. I don't want my diff falling off at 110 mph going through turn 10 at Sonoma...

I had the dealer check. The car is not reinforced, and doesn't show signs of stress in the subframe. I also found a fab shop that will do preventative reinforcement for $750. They have done race versions of the E36 chassis and the work has held up to track and auto-x abuse for 7 years now.

I think I am going to have one of my mechanic friends inspect the car Monday. If it checks out I might buy it...

Last edited:
get it! i scoped that very same car when i was shopping around. the only reason i didn't consider it more is only because of the color. btw, we're neighbors! i'm in monterey!

Apparently the rear subframe problem is a huge deal. I do not want this happening to my car:

subframe1.jpg

And the local BMW fab shop is going to charge $3,600 to fix/reinforce it.

It is such a great car but... that cost might be too high.

The rear sub-frame around the rear diff is a problem on the M3 as well. I don't know if the M Coup has the same problem. I would buy it if it checks out ok and you can get the reinforcement done in the 750 range. That seems reasonable.

I ran a carfax for you.

Carfax shows an accident to the left front in december of 2003 so check that repair out. Looks like a straight one owner car from the report.

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
01/30/1999 9 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Los Gatos, CA Odometer reading reported
02/22/1999 California
Motor Vehicle Dept. Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle
01/06/2000 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Los Gatos, CA Title issued or updated
12/27/2002 35,974 Service Facility
Los Altos, CA Vehicle serviced
05/08/2003 38,218 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
06/12/2003 38,940 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
12/18/2003 42,384 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
12/30/2003 42,662 California
Damage Report Vehicle inspected after an
accident or other incident
Damage to left front
A vehicle inspection completed
by your dealer or professional
inspector is recommended
01/17/2005 49,339 California
Inspection Station Failed emissions inspection
01/19/2005 Vehicle Repair Center Spark plugs repaired
01/19/2005 49,361 California
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection
02/03/2007 65,536 California
Inspection Station
Los Gatos, CA Passed emissions inspection
02/18/2009 79,497 California
Inspection Station
01/22/2011 93,137 California
Inspection Station
01/20/2012 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Los Gatos, CA Registration updated when owner moved
the vehicle to a new location
01/07/2013 96,999 Auto Auction
Pacific Region Listed as a dealer vehicle
Sold at auction

Millions of used vehicles are bought and sold at auction every year.

01/09/2013 97,003 California
Inspection Station
Newark, CA Passed emissions inspection
01/09/2013 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale

Wholesale on a car like that out in my area would be 8,000 to 9,500 without an accident indicator. Knock off at least 10% for the accident depending on how the repair looks maybe knock of 20%. No idea how the Cali market treats such a seasonal cal though compared to how it would sell out here. There are no similar vehicles that have run through an auction in the last month so nothing to compare it to.

Depends how comfortable you are with low balling but I would take a swing at offering them. $9,000 something and see what they do. Back it up with the carfax report of the accident and the obvious paintwork. Sit on that offer for as long as you can don't say a word see if they will counter. If you have to say something don't bump yourself too much stay under $10,000. Depending on how it drove and what the condition of the tires and brakes are I might offer as low as $8,800 for it just to see what they would do. IF they throw you out then you know it was way too low.