Talk me out of buying a Monaro

Jeepin

Car(s)
89 Jeep Wrangler V8
Well I went and looked at a 2004 Pontiac GTO today (rebaged, left hand drive Monaro). Its got the 5.7L LS1, all options except the auto, and just over 52,000 miles . I took it for a test drive and it was SWEET!:D got back to the dealer and he said it could be mine for $14.5K. Now I know the gas mileage will suck and that doesn't bother me but does anything else go wrong with these? Anything to watch out for? The test drive went smooth and everything functioned properly. Although if I do buy it, its gonna need new tires soon:lol: So anyone have any experience with these?

I'm not going to talk you out of one, those are great cars. Steering feedback could be better, but to be honest its almost impossible to find a car with proper steering these days.

The mileage isn't great, it may not be all that great in snowy conditions, and it doesn't really hold its value at all. But you don't care about mileage, you have a Jeep already, and you are benefiting from the depreciation. Are there really any other downsides?

Really theres 3 things keeping me on the fence about it:

1. it will put my insurance through the roof, right now I only have a Grand Cherokee on my policy so its not bad. Its my Daily Driver right now and I would keep that for winter. the wrangler isn't really street driven and I imagine it would be deadly in the snow :p it used to be my DD in high school when it was alot smaller and it was very tail happy even in 4 wheel drive.

2. I'm out of garage space as the wrangler takes that up so it would have to be parked on the street.

3. My g/f didn't really like it. Shes convinced that I dont need it and I should be looking for something more practical. When we got home I made her watch episode 05x01 with the Monaro, 300c and the jag on the beach and she was smiling. So I can probably sway her with her own test drive:p

Go for it! I know one or two members here have GTOs themselves, and a few Aussies have Holdens as well, probably.

3. My g/f didn't really like it. Shes convinced that I dont need it and I should be looking for something more practical. When we got home I made her watch episode 05x01 with the Monaro, 300c and the jag on the beach and she was smiling. So I can probably sway her with her own test drive:p
Don't listen to her. ;) I can't imagine she sees the Wrangler as a reincarnation of a Toyota Sienna either, if you know what I mean. Besides, it's got a back seat and a trunk, what else do you need?

My step dad used to own one of these and I drove it quite often, so I can tell you a few things.

Firstly the good - Engine grunt was adequate, looks good, fairly reliable, strong engine and gearbox, gets some looks if that's your kinda thing. Cheap power up mods. Good noise once you replace the stock exhaust and headers.

The bad - Thirstyyyyy. Around town it's about 16-20l/100km (14 - 11 mpg) but on the highway it was quite good (26 mpg) My step dads particular car had a nasty engine rattle that required the engine to be replaced after about 15,000kms. The clutch is heavy, the gearbox is very notchy and heavy, the car handles poorly (yes it can be power slid easily, but that does not equal good handling) it feels very heavy and it's very tail happy, but maybe that's your thing. The interior isn't much to behold, but that's neither here nor there really.

I guess it depends on what you want. For what it is, it should be reliable if it's looked after properly, and there's heaps of go fast bits for it.

My sister has a LS2 model. Yes they are coups but they are very roomy, and hers has been rock solid. You can replace the engine oil with rocks and it will run a million miles.

I haven't heard of any mechanical issue she has had, but she keeps excellent care of her cars so you might want to run it by a dealer or trusted shop before buying it.

$14.5 thousand??! Take it and run!

Shes convinced that I dont need it and I should be looking for something more practical.
HERETIC! BURN HER AT THE STAKE!!

:p

As a car guy, I can't in good conscience talk you out of that car. Do it.

No, I refuse to talk you out of buying a Monaro.

Do it.

Now.

Thanks for all the input. As far as it not being an LS2 doesn't bother me as the LS1 is a proven performer with tons of go fast goodies on the market. Plus after driving SUVs and cheap econoboxes, this thing is great as far as performance and speed goes. I did a once over of the car and it looked to be in good shape, it had full service records too.

really its her holding me back( i know, you think I'm whipped) but in reality the decision is hers really, I need to convince her it is absolutly brilliant. The way she see's it is one of us needs a practical car (her dd is a purple 97 wrangler and she wont give it up) and I have the big jeep, so I should be the one with the practical car. She wants to go look at things like Hatchbacks or small SUVs. Dont you just love the way women's minds work?:blink:

As far as robustness goes, (and I'm used to dealing with the 4 door type) nothing really goes wrong with them. The main area of complaint was usually the Gen 3 (LS1) V8. The undersides are pretty robust etc etc.

/me wonders what a Monaro would look like with a VZ fropnt end on?

Nice Car :D

But doesn't the Monaro have a different grill from the GTO, making it look different?