Talk to me about C(programming language)

L2D

Car(s)
1999 Toyota Camry V6
Hey FG, I'm taking a computing course this semester, and my brother tells me I have to learn C. Also I should do some pre-reading, so I won't be lost in my classes.
So I just want to learn some basics, like what is it? Is it complex? Does it get easier over time? Will I hate myself for picking this course? Can you give me an example(as a complete noob) about some code?
I have read wiki, but I'm pretty lost as to what's happening.

Thanks

Does it say in the course description that you'll be using C? Because if it doesn't, I wouldn't bet on it. Based on virtually no information on the course, we won't be able to suggest any pre-reading material. Yes C is complex, but that applies to any programming language. Naturally, it gets easier over time, just try not to get hung up on language details, rather try to get the concepts involved. Learn to program, what language you implement in is secondary. If you have the course description or anything, that would be helpful.

Hi Psirus, the info is as quoted

The objective of this course is for students to develop proficiency in programming using a high level language. Topics covered include: fundamental programming concepts, program testing and debugging, the underlying memory representation of data, programming style. Practical experience of these topics is supplied by laboratory programming exercises and assignments.

And the overview is
Introduction to programming for non-computing majors. Introduction to C, problem solving, debugging, programming style, teamwork. Content is roughly the first half of COMP1917, ie up to but not including pointers and dynamic data structures.

Fucking pointers, how do they work? Don't bother reading up before hand, it's an introductory course designed for people never having coded in their life. Is this at UNSW?

Yep UNSW. I'm excited yet nervous at the same time. Four months off hasn't been good to me. Well it was good for hte first 2 months, the next 2 were pretty downhill.

I also wouldn't read up on it too much, otherwise it'll probably boring the first weeks. If you are itching for something to do, try to install a C compiler for your OS and then compile and run the standard Hello World program. This way, you can start experimenting immediately once the class starts.
Code:
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
  printf("Hello world\n");
  return 0;
}
Source: Wiki

C is a difficult language to learn initially, but its actually quite useful. Especially if you plan on learning C++ in your later years. If you have a decent professor, the course shouldn't be too hard though. The concepts are fairly easy to grasp if you have a good feel for programming. I wish you the best of luck ;)

I am sure that course won't have any complicated stuff.

Code:
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
  printf("Toast is good\n");
  return 0;
}
Source: COMP1917 class

^ This is what we use instead of Hello World :p

L2D: I'll be wearing an FG shirt @ next lecture. Find me :p

PS: I'm the guy who won the first pixel in the first class for being an inquisitive idiot <_< :D

Last edited:
Eventually I'll spot you. I do maths and physics and since you say we share lectures, when are your class times? Might be able to spot you in one of those!

Psssshhh. You suck. Everyone knows the evening session on monday for physics is the best! I think Joe Wolfe is a great lecturer.

And since you do 1141, we don't share lectures :(

I wouldn't know if anyone in my lecture was a 1131, can't tell just by looking at them

Yeah I dont blame you for wanting to get home early, especially when winter will come around, I will hate walking home in the dark. Do you live around Kenso/Randwick?

Also had my first lab/tute for COMP1911 today, putting the work into practice today was great! I mean it was frustrating, but it got through quite well I think.

If you guys are free from 12-2 tomorrow, I'll be at scruffy murphey's on goulburn street (just off george street) doing homework if you want to come say hello.