Talk to me about headphones...

Last edited:
Does it need to be 7.1 for that headphone? I'd rather recommend a good stereo soundcard, such as the ESI Juli@ or the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2.

I don't really need 7.1, but it's always good to have. I'm a bit skeptical about buying the above mention product, not beacuse they are not up to the job, but I'm more concerned about crappy/incompatible drivers and unnecessary bloatware.

Of course, having 7.1 sounds better than having 2.0, but that's like saying you'll buy a huge truck when you only need a compact, because the truck is bigger, so you'll have more car. Those stereo soundcards sound excellent, and since they come from studio or high quality stereo environments, their software is slim, simple to use and without unnecessary toys. Of course, you don't have to buy one of the above soundcards, but if you're interested in good sound quality on a stereo headphone, you should get a good stereo soundcard.

Last edited:
julia.jpg

Hm... I'm more inclined towards the ESI option, problem is that I can't seem to find an online shop or local distributor/retailer. I have checked their list of distributors and it seems that the only American agent that sells ESI product is all the way in New York. I'd hate to buy it in South Africa, as the retail price will be marked up by at least 150% or more.

What's funny is that in none of the posts in this thread, the word "Bose" was mentioned.

I was at a Bose shop some time ago and I got to listen to their sample music through these

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-41215-On...ef=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=aht&qid=1252802693&sr=1-9

They sounded fairly good, and the comfort was alright, sound isolation and all that was fine, but what I couldn't get around my head was the price for the quality. Is that why it wasn't mentioned here? Are you just paying for the badge when you get these sorts of headphones?

I've been using shure earphones since I got my first ipod and since I hated the apple earbuds that come default with them. They've been great but they kept wearing out, loose connections and whatnot, and I didn't like having to send them in over and over again for warranty replacement. I got my first and pretty much only pair for $60 (1/2 of the MSRP at the time).

So I've recently wanted to shift over to comfortable headphones that don't break the bank (anything < $200 is great), and that are able to deal with mp3 music (which has mostly 160/192 kbit/s - 320 kbit/s quality music). I'm looking for great bass response, comfort (over-the-ear preferred to on-the-ear), and some semblance of portability (like it doesn't weigh half a ton).

Are these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826262102&Tpk=jvc harx700 (which were mentioned in the thread, I know) good qual. headphones that fit the above parameters or do you guys suggest something else? Thanks beforehand for the advice. I'm taking a look at the headfi forums as well as other places just to get some more research and knowledge.

Are these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826262102&Tpk=jvc harx700 (which were mentioned in the thread, I know) good qual. headphones that fit the above parameters or do you guys suggest something else? Thanks beforehand for the advice. I'm taking a look at the headfi forums as well as other places just to get some more research and knowledge.

I've bought one under the recommendation from another forum member (Hi Crazyjeeper), and all I can say that it's a fantastic headphone, a real quality product.

Those JVC's look like a good bang for your buck, and I'm still looking for a second pair. The price difference between the US and Europe is insane though. $34 Opposed to 86$. :(