Tanner Foust

I think the problem isn't Tanner himself, but the role that the show has put him in. They seem to purposefully portray him as cocky--maybe even conceited--and slightly stuck-up. The fact that they devoted an entire episode to bringing him down a peg (and then didn't), kinda shows this.

But at the same time, I tend to enjoy his solo segments the most. In season 1, I still remember the Viper segment (was that episode 1?). I knew then that no matter how bad TG America was, it would still be worth watching (thank goodness it's gotten even better!).

Also, I'm at least 80% sure he's the Stig.

Last edited:
Jezza is an ignorant prick while tanner is a stupid spoiled california kid with blinders on, totally different kind of prick.

I thought Adam was the prick?

But at the same time, I tend to enjoy his solo segments the most. In season 1, I still remember the Viper segment (was that episode 1?). I knew then that no matter how bad TG America was, it would still be worth watching (thank goodness it's gotten even better!).

He did drag along Rutledge "I scream like a little girl" Wood for the ride. Should've dumped him for some weight savings.

Could the intent of the producers be to make Tanner look like a spoiled brat? Are we supposed to love to hate him? Are we always hoping that he will fail at some point?

Could the intent of the producers be to make Tanner look like a spoiled brat? Are we supposed to love to hate him? Are we always hoping that he will fail at some point?

I'm not sure about that. I don't think they're trying to make a Clarkson out of him, I think they're just feeding the "Driver" persona. At some point, I expect we'll see episodes focusing on Rut's "Expert"-ness and Adam's "Wrecker"-ness

On that note, Rut posted today on his FB page that he was making a parts run for one (or more) of his project cars.

And wouldn't it be neat if Tanner and Rut challenged Adam with a variety of vehicles to see if he could Ferrara them? I'm thinking an armored car: can he total it?

Adam Ferrara totalling an armoured car: How hard can it be?

Yeah, they totally should. :nod:

I'm not sure about that. I don't think they're trying to make a Clarkson out of him, I think they're just feeding the "Driver" persona. At some point, I expect we'll see episodes focusing on Rut's "Expert"-ness and Adam's "Wrecker"-ness

It's interesting you say that, because I think they have made a big deal out of Tanner being a professional driver (Which they absolutely should. I don't care if he's a bit wooden and a cocky bastard, as long as they keep showing him tearing around corners in gorgeous vehicles). But I don't feel like Rutledge has really come off as an 'expert' yet. I know he knows his stuff, but on the show it doesn't seem very apparent to me. Also, labelling Adam as 'the wrecker' seems a bit silly to me because it's kind of putting him as a comic relief character, and while he is a funnyman, so far most of his stuff seems a bit forced. I would love to see him total an armored car though. haha

I think they have made a big deal out of Tanner being a professional driver, which they absolutely should.

Agreed. The guy is a monstrous driving talent from what little I've seen; they'd be foolish not to show that off.

But I don't feel like Rutledge has really come off as an 'expert' yet

Which is why I think we may see the show start to focus on the hosts more. The ratings seem pretty stable, so its probably time to focus on the talent and other factors of the show.

But I don't feel like Rutledge has really come off as an 'expert' yet.

He hasn't. I've seen many opportunities for him to "wow" me with his knowledge, but all he's done is act like he took a few minutes on Wikipedia to brush up on (car name)'s history and go from there. The Aston Martin review in Season 1 was pretty much one point where he showed his "lack of expertise" by saying an Aston is essentially "a Hot Rod."

Oh-kay.........right.

Last edited:
an Aston is essentially "a Hot Rod."

Big engine/rear wheel drive = muscle car to me. Richard Hammond said the same thing about a Mercedes a couple of series ago. Wikipedia says "Hot rods are typically American cars with large engines modified for linear speed." So, its not much of a stretch really. I think the problem we get into is that many folks think of highly modded cars as hot rods (the Deuce or Ford Vicky, for example) when its really just a generic term for a car modded with a big motor used for stoplight to stoplight racing.

Big engine/rear wheel drive = muscle car to me. Richard Hammond said the same thing about a Mercedes a couple of series ago. Wikipedia says "Hot rods are typically American cars with large engines modified for linear speed." So, its not much of a stretch really. I think the problem we get into is that many folks think of highly modded cars as hot rods (the Deuce or Ford Vicky, for example) when its really just a generic term for a car modded with a big motor used for stoplight to stoplight racing.

>>Hot Rod - American cars with big honking engine
>>Aston Martins (a British/Indian car company with supercars) referred to as a "Hot Rod"
>>WTF?

Also, Hammond referred a Jaguar as a "Muscle Car" once. I'm sorry, but wildly using such terms when it it is used in specific circumstances is not what I call "a stretch."

Last edited:
Rut referred to the V12 Vantage as a "hot rod" in terms of being a V8 Vantage that had a huge honking engine stuffed in it. He was making an analogy that most Americans could easily understand. No problem there, because, in those terms, he's right.

I like Tanner. :dunno:

I think so. The show plays off that idea a lot, I think. The beating Tanner episode for sure, but also episodes before that. Adam is always making fun of Tanner. When Rut asked why Tanner always smokes the tires on his car, Adam responded by saying he has a tiny little dick. It's hilarious and obviously Tanner isn't getting outraged by it, so it seems pretty apparent that they do it all on purpose and it's all in good fun.

The fact is, we don't want the hosts of TGUS to be clones of TGUK. It's nice to have an arrogant prick on show, but not the exact same type of arrogant prick as TGUK. Same goes for the other two. I think once people truly get over the fact that this show is not trying to be a clone of the UK version, they may come to accept the hosts for who they are, rather than condemning them for not living up the TGUK hosts in every imaginable way.

Rut referred to the V12 Vantage as a "hot rod" in terms of being a V8 Vantage that had a huge honking engine stuffed in it. He was making an analogy that most Americans could easily understand. No problem there, because, in those terms, he's right.

Exactly. Anyone without a stick up their ass would understand that.