TATA Nano Europa - Full details

At 3000 pounds, I could possibly see it sell in decent numbers. However, at 4000 - 6000 pounds, why buy a Nano when you could have a Dacia Sandero?

~$10,000 for a ONE liter engine? No thanks...

It does look better than the Indian deathtrap one. Look how enormous the wheels look in comparison.
Even then, it still looks like it's on castors.

Look at the Nano and the original Mini side by side (if the layout of the forum allows it):

Tata-Nano-91299456224791590x1060.jpg
mini_09.jpg

...the Nano is too tall for those wheels. They're hideously out of proportion, in a way that the even smaller wheels on the Mini aren't.

21 days from now we will be living in The Future?, and this is something I increasingly don't want to be a part of.

You know, if they lengthen it a bit and give it bigger wheels, the side profile would start to look ok.

As it stands it's better than the Indian one, but I still wouldn't have one.

So, which one would you buy, this, or a nice condition E34 or W124?

Whichever has FWD, because it's just better.
Oh sorry, meant PWD (Posmo Wheel Drive)

Whichever has FWD, because it's just better.
Oh sorry, meant PWD (Posmo Wheel Drive)

It's not even about drivetrains at this level. Fwd is not completely hopeless if you need a commuter city car, and live in a country that doesn't get much snowfall. I'd MUCH rather drive a Fiat Panda than one of those Nanos. Infact, I suspect the Nano will fail in Europe spectacularly, because it's just too much money for what it is. What it is, is a sign saying *IM CHEAP*, and for only about 1k? more you could have a standard car, which doesn't shout out that you're a cheapskate. I only picked the E34 and W124 as examples because you could get a REALLY nice one of those for that sort of money :)

I might be hell-bent on RWD, but Im not unreasonable, you know :)

I love IT! Look there are better cars out there and I would not say anyone here should buy it. However there are people who this car would be perfect for who don't need a-lotta car. For the most part these cars would be great in those "car share" deals.

Bet its a hell of a lot of fun. Small car small engine working like mad to keep up. I would guess with it being so small you can really throw it around in corners. Plus you get the feeling it is almost death on wheels.

I am not sure why they included power steering on the car but nothings perfect

Pokiman! :D

...the Nano is too tall for those wheels. They're hideously out of proportion, in a way that the even smaller wheels on the Mini aren't.
Sure they do look out of proportion, but have you actually sat in a Mini? It's not what you'd call spacious, plus getting in and out can be cumbersome, not to mention getting to the back seat. This Tata Curry is probably aimed at old people needing a small car to go around the town, which means it needs to be accessible.

Imo it looks like a stretched Smart, not too bad to be honest. But way too expensive for what you are getting. Build quality is also a mystery, but it could surprise, who knows.

Sure they do look out of proportion, but have you actually sat in a Mini?
Yes: my brother had one, and I never found it short of space. Neither did he, and he's two inches taller than me. That it was a 1978 model with a completely bare dashboard might have had something to do with it, but it never made me uncomfortable.

It's not what you'd call spacious, plus getting in and out can be cumbersome, not to mention getting to the back seat. This Tata Curry is probably aimed at old people needing a small car to go around the town, which means it needs to be accessible.
Sounds very similar to what Daihatsu tried a few years back. It was called the Move, it was ridiculously tall and had four doors but had a short wheelbase and tiny wheels (which were still not quite as tiny as the Nano's). It was marketed with the slogan: "Don't laugh, one day we'll all be driving one." 14 years later, we're not, and I can't remember the last time I saw one on UK roads. When it climbed out of an oily grave as a Perodua Kenari, that was even less of a success: I don't think I've ever seen one anywhere. Does the Nano really stand a chance?

Last edited:
Yes: my brother had one, and I never found it short of space. Neither did he, and he's two inches taller than me. That it was a 1978 model with a completely bare dashboard might have had something to do with it, but it never made me uncomfortable.

It's not the insides, but getting in and out. If you are old and have bad bones because you are a vegan and don't eat meat and drink milk, it could be bad!

Sounds very similar to what Daihatsu tried a few years back. It was called the Move, it was ridiculously tall and had four doors but had a short wheelbase and tiny wheels (which were still not quite as tiny as the Nano's). It was marketed with the slogan: "Don't laugh, one day we'll all be driving one." 14 years later, we're not, and I can't remember the last time I saw one on UK roads. When it climbed out of an oily grave as a Perodua Kenari, that was even less of a success: I don't think I've ever seen one anywhere. Does the Nano really stand a chance?

Now, the world was way different in 1995. Barrel of oil was around 20 USD (in 2008 money).

Because of that, there was no real demand for mopeds like this 14 years ago. Now the population has been convinced we are going to kill the polar bears, these sort of tincans have potential customers among elderly vegans and cheap hippies.

It's all about how they can market it. However, their main point which is the cheap price, is not looking very strong.

I still see a Grand Move now and then, but that was a totally different car, more of a tiny estate car. But as for the normal move, I don't remember seeing one either.

As for the Nano Europa, it's basically a car version of a Smeg Fridge. It has a nicer paintjob and some shiny wheels, but in the end it's still the same old white good just at twice the price.

However, I do think Smart missed a trick in not making the fourfour more like this.

Smeg fridge, thats nasty. For people who want to keep their smeg (WHY) and keep it cool at the same time (DOUBLE WHY). Eeew. Italians are weird for naming their fridge smeg.