Tea, iced or not?

Tea, iced or not?

• Total voters
This is interesting. Since our favored forum is split about 50/50 US and abroad, I figured the poll would be about 50/50, and so far it has been.

EDIT: Well it was 50/50 when I started this post.

What is your favorite brand? Several of you have said you get your tea at the corner store. I have no corner store. Granted a good pitcher of tea can come from those little bags; however, I would like to upgrade my tea experience. Are there any good internet sites y'all would recommend? Or just the brand would work.

If it's hot outside: Lemonade or Limeade
If it's cold out (or if I'm tired): Coffee.

Tea is for sissies and flavoring harbor water. :p

I was going to bring up that great party. Have you ever heard what kind of tea was in that salty brew? All my research came up blank.

Last edited:
Hate tea, but cold tea is a lot better than hot tea.

At school we fiended bottles of Lipton's Raspberry Iced Tea (all on meal plan too!). So somewhere out there, a Duke just had a heart attack.

I voted for 'I hate tea' but to be honest that's a bit harsh. It's not that I hate it - I just never seem to drink it. I don't think I've had tea in over two years.

When I do drink it it's usually with milk and sugar and it's usually hot but I have been known to drink it iced as well.

This one time I filled an empty Jim Beam bottle with tea and took it to social gathering. I drank it straight from the bottle and finished it in about thirty minutes. Everybody started to panic and make it big deal of it. It was great! Someone got me a bucket and then someone mentioned an ambulance so I decided to tell them it was only tea.

I should have took it further!

I voted for 'I hate tea' but to be honest that's a bit harsh. It's not that I hate it - I just never seem to drink it. I don't think I've had tea in over two years.

When I do drink it it's usually with milk and sugar and it's usually hot but I have been known to drink it iced as well.

This one time I filled an empty Jim Beam bottle with tea and took it to social gathering. I drank it straight from the bottle and finished it in about thirty minutes. Everybody started to panic and make it big deal of it. It was great! Someone got me a bucket and then someone mentioned an ambulance so I decided to tell them it was only tea.

I should have took it further!

Naaah, isn't a ride in an ambulance $500, or event hat much just to show up? Of course, now i HAVE to do that at the back to school party

Naaah, isn't a ride in an ambulance $500, or event hat much just to show up? Of course, now i HAVE to do that at the back to school party
Yeah the ambulance would have been expencive and they would have been pretty upset that I wasted their time. :lol: So I just thought 'alright, this has gone far enough anyway' and I ended it.

It's pretty easy to fool everybody - Just don't play it up too much at the beginning and make sure everyone else is fixed-good drinks-wise so that nobody asks for some of yours. Once you get half way through the bottle you're home free -Just tell people that you're trying to drink the whole thing and they'll let you! They'll even encourage you!

actually come to think of it, for beverage class we use colored water, but theres a chart that we have in case we run out of a certain liquor that shows us the combination of food colorings to replicate it. Pretty exact color but you dont get the i think density or viscocity of the heavier liquors

I like both. My grandmother came over from Scotland so I was raised on hot tea, yet my Dad's family is from the south = iced tea.

I love my Dad's family. We went down to North Carolina two years ago and they don't ask what you want to drink, everyone drinks iced tea. It could be freezing out and they'll still serve you iced tea. :p

One exception, ginger ale > all soft drinks.
Good point there! A good ginger ale is tough to beat (and tough to find for that matter). For some strange reason it's like the only thing I like to drink on airplanes. Soda, coffee, tea...none of them cut it. But that ginger ale never sounds better than when blasting through the sky in a thin metal tube. And for some weird reason I sometimes get a weird craving for hot tea when watching Top Gear. :?

This thread reminded me of a cheesy joke that I heard from my mom of all people. A group of Native Americans sat around the campfire sipping, then gulping, the tea the local settlers had traded to them. When morning came around two of them were found dead. They had drown in their teepee.

Hot weather = iced tea
Cold weather = hot tea

As for hot tea, I like English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Chinese green tea and Japanese tea.

Bleh, I hate any sort of hot beverage. Iced is the only way to go for me :p

I'll have my cup...er, huge mug of tea hot, with honey and a bit of milk. I mostly like/drink black tea flavoured with fruits of berries and I buy loose tea in 100-200g bags from supermarkets or dedicated coffee shops.

Lipton used to make this lovely blackcurrant tea, but they don't sell it here anymore :( Another of my favourites is halloween tea from the local coffee shop, black tea with dried pumpkin and whatnot :p delicious.

And this is my "weapon of choice" for making my tea:

TefalMagicTeaTheiereElectrique110248.jpg

Tea -> hot, never cold!
Beer -> cold, never hot!

But I have to admit: I don't start the day with tea, I prefer coffee till 'bout 4PM. Then I usally change to tea. That's better for my digestion system, 'cause more than five cups of coffee makes me always feel like vomiting myself.

I don't like US Iced tea, I like Nestea style ived tea, as for hot tea, only green tea.

/Begin Rant
One small point to make - what some countries think of a hot tea is execrable and no self respecting Brit/Aussie/Kiwi would be seen drinking the stuff - you know who you are NA. Listen very carefully I will say this only once - Make the sodding water BOILING hot - its not coffee. /End Rant .

Small addition to Cobol's rant:
The correct way of making tea is to bring water to the boil and let it boil for at least one minute to get rid of as much oxygen as possible (oxygen in tea -> BAAAD) And then let it cool down for at least a minute. The water should be around 90 degrees Celsius (195 degrees Fahrenheit for the weird folk across the pond), or else it will burn the leaves, ruining the taste. Then pour the water over the leaves (no bags, use one of those hang-in tea filters if you dont't want to have the leaves directly in the pot, i always use them) in a heated teapot. Try it, you'll notice the difference.

Wrong ways of making tea: Using the water from a coffee machine: you get the best coffee when you haven't boiled your water, and most coffeemakers only heat it to 90-95 degrees, which is bad for tea because it leaves all the gases in (especially the oxygen)
Pouring the water in a cup and then hanging the teabag in. By pouring the water over the leaves (preferrably without a bag) you make sure that leaves and water are properly mixed, and you extract the most flavour from the leaves. Not to mention the fact that mostly by the time the cup of hot water has reached you, it has cooled down too much already.

Both very very awfully awfully wrong ways are popular in restaurants and bars, which is why i never drink tea in them. And i prefer hot rooibos, green tea, mint tea and camomile tea over black tea.

As for iced tea, i like it, but it's mostly too sweet for my tastes.

small addition to above rant:
If you're looking for perfect tea, each variety has its own ideal steeping temperature, whilst boiling the water for a bit is usually ok, the temperature you steep at to extract the best flavor and aroma are different, white tea, oolong tea, and i think most chai varieties for instance, should all be around 180 degrees whilst many black teas should be steeped in just boiled water