Tea

Jay

the fool on the hill
A few months ago, I started drinking tea. I do not like coffee, and tea seemed the natural choice for this closet anglophile.

I remember my grandmother would drink tea twice a day, once at breakfast, and at four pm on the dot. She was born and raised in London, and then moved to Denmark in 1924 at the age of 24, but never left behind the habit of drinking tea; in fact, she used to call supper "high tea". She even had (now my parents) a tea service set, and made quite a ordeal at 4 pm to make tea. I found it fascinating, the ritual of tea making and drinking.

Do people in the UK still adhere to tea time in the afternoon? I figure that it might be pushed to the side, being that world is a busier place now.

So, during the weekends I drink Twinnings Chai Tea, and during the weekdays I have Breakfast Tea in the morning, at work. I cannot consume tea in the afternoon because the caffeine will keep me wired; my cut off for anything with caffeine in it is 3 pm.

I make my tea with eight ounces of hot (but not boiling) water, about two ounces of milk or two creamer packets, and two tablespoons of sugar.

How about you?

Funny seeing this thread, I've had tea on my mind for a few days now.

I drink lots of tea, as do most people from the Middle East or with heritage from there. When I lived at home my mom often had brewed tea made from actual loose leaves, but since I moved out I've been having tea bags.

There's tea bags of varying quality, but none of them really hit the spot for me... not even the Twinnings Earl Gray tea bags are as good as the tea. I'm just too lazy to go out and get a teapot and stuff to brew tea.

I mostly drink regular black tea, I like spicy chai too but don't come across it too often. I'm not a big fan of green tea... can you say tap water?

P.S. I hate bubble tea... not only is it not really tea, but it also seems like the most pointless fad ever, what with the beads being tasteless and all.

I like spicy chai too but don't come across it too often.

Yes! Someone else who loves it, too!
Spend 6-8 dollars and get some from a local Starbucks. They're brilliant.

Tea yum yum. ...

Boiling water, Tea Pot which you warm by putting a small amount of the boiling water in, swirl around and pour away. Put in one 5 ml teaspoon full of tea per person and add one more 'for the pot'. Should always be in bone china tea pot, allow to stand for about 5 minutes - depends how strong you like your tea.

Now the tea its self, most people drink their favourite blends at any time of the day and I must admit to so doing although my mum would turn in her grave letting the standards slip! However a Kenyan/Assam based dark tea for Breakfast and a lighter Dargeeling for later in the day I would say, even china tea - Earle Gray would be OK in the afternoon, but it is very different (perfumed even) to india/East African based teas.

I like Harrogate 'hard water' Yorkshire tea myself. Now there are discussions about putting the tea in first or the milk, personally I put the tea in then get the colour I want with the milk but the other way is fine by me. I put in one to two spoonfuls of sugar, depending upon how I feel.

Tea should be served in bone china cups too really. Now here comes the confession, usually I am the only one in the house who will drink tea so I get a mug and tea bag (Not really a good idea as loose leaf tea is of superior quality!) warm mug, put in bag and pour in the boiling water leave for 5 mins dump bag and add milk and sugar. Its OK but not really pukka.

btw: http://www.yorkshiretea.co.uk/

Last edited:
Find yourself a Chinese or Indian person who goes back to the homeland a lot, befriend that person, and get your tea leaves (loose, never bagged) that way. I just drink the stuff my relatives bring back, and it's brilliant stuff, usually green or white teas.

I have to admit to liking a cup of tea now and then. It's definitely an acquired taste - when I first tried it I wondered how on earth people ever thought that drinking that stuff was a good idea, but it grows on you after a while. For me, though, it will never replace coffee.

Like others of an English background, my grandmother used to drink tea at rigidly-defined times of the day: one with breakfast, one after lunch and one late in the afternoon. And yes, always from a bone chine cup and saucer, never a mug.

As for me, well I like my tea strong and black, just like my men ..... erh.

Tea: broth for pansies/hippies.

I drink a cup and dip in some toast w/ peanut butter and raspberry jam....pretty much every night for dinner.

Most of the tea comes from either the UK, Canada, or India....the American stuff just didn't do anything for me. Usually Orange Pekoe (I think, don't always read the packaging). Right now I'm having Tetley (brought in from Canada).

I can't drink Green Tea...it's kinda disgusting.

I prefer English Breakfast tea with lemon.

And I feel like I have perfected the art of tea (in a teabag) preparation.

1. Place lemon slice in mug.
2. You know how the teabag is folded in half and stapled at the top. Put your (clean) finger through the middle and round it into a ring. Lightly flick it to evenly distribute the tea through out the ring.
3. Stand the tearing up onto the lemon slice.
4. Put desired amount of sugar, pouring it into the tea ring so that its on the lemon.
5. Pour hot water into the center of the tearing onto the sugar.

I was sick and bored a few nights ago so I was finding ways to make tea.
http://img101.imageshack.**/img101/3592/photobn3.jpg

Are those two albino snow-monkies kissing in a sleeping bag made of rice paper?

Tea. Technically, not food.

With that said, I enjoy tea the usual way and Green Tea as well.

Ahhh tea...an amazing drink, but annoys me when people say:

"Oh Ive had tea before"
"Really? Where from?"
"Starbucks Chai Tea Latte...."

-which is basically Tea Tea latte and tastes NOT at all like Chai...

Last edited:
I'm not really a fan of hot drinks, when I get a cup of tea with someone they usually finish before I start drinking :p
But I drink tea sometimes, mostly black/fruit tea with 2 teaspoons of sugar, no milk, never really got the point of milk in tea.
The only times I drink in larger amounts is when I have a cold or is feeling a bit ill.

Last edited:
I have to admit to liking a cup of tea now and then. It's definitely an acquired taste - when I first tried it I wondered how on earth people ever thought that drinking that stuff was a good idea, but it grows on you after a while. For me, though, it will never replace coffee.

I am the exact opposite, just replace tea and coffee in that statement.

I drink a cup or three of coffee every week, but I have to assume people first started drinking coffee for it's effects and not the taste. I mean, even with lots of sugar and milk, it still has a strange taste and a horrible taste/smell which will remain your mouth for a long time.

Strong black tea with no sugar does have quite a bitter taste, but I don't find it offputting like I do the taste of black coffee. Straight up tea is pretty crisp in its bitterness to me.

i'm asian. that's why i love matcha (green tea). i also really like yuzu tea. give it a try. =)