Teenager invites to birthday party on Facebook -- disaster runs its course

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
Hundreds of Facebook users crash teen's birthday party

Published: 4 Jun 11 10:06 CET

Some 1,500 people showed up outside the house of a Hamburg girl celebrating her 16th birthday on Friday, after she posted an invite on social networking site Facebook but mistakenly listed the party as a public event.

"Unfortunately, she forgot to mark the celebration as private," police spokesman Mirko Streiber told news agency DPA.

Thessa cancelled the party after some 15,000 people RSVP'd to her "sweet sixteen" birthday bash via Facebook.

Police broke up the party at 1:55 a.m. on Saturday morning. More than 100 officers were at the scene. Six revelers were arrested on suspicion of aggravated battery and property damage, but they have since been released.

Thessa opted to celebrate her birthday elsewhere.

Police said some people were injured after they stepped on pieces of broken glass. "Multiple units" were stationed outside the family's house, a spokesman said, and several streets were closed off. The family also hired a private security company.

As the evening wore on, there were isolated incidents of bottles and firecrackers being thrown toward the police.

"There were stones, bottles and fireworks flying, and party guests took apart (people's) front gardens," Streiber said. "Fences were trampled."

Some revelers opted to enjoy the celebrations from garage rooftops on the street.

"If you are not all that familiar with Facebook, in the future you should look closely at the user conditions before you send out invites," Streiber said.

DPA/DAPD/arp

In the german-language press they reported that mounted police had to be withdrawn because the drunken teenager's shouting made the horses too nervous to perform. At least to police horses, teenagers seem to be more scary than football hooligans:
reiter_HA_Hamburg_H_228996c.jpg

(i know there's a press photo of a mounted policeman chasing down a Rot-Weiss-Essen hooligan, but i can't find it right now)

Well, whatever keeps 'em from killing people in train stations, I say.

In the german-language press they reported that mounted police had to be withdrawn because the drunken teenager's shouting made the horses too nervous to perform. At least to police horses, teenagers seem to be more scary than football hooligans:

Doc, massed teenagers area scarier than a busload of suicide bombers on crack.

Sounds exactly like my grad tear only at some girls house instead of a gravel pit.

The family hired a private security company after the incident.

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to take out her computer and Internet privileges? :p

I think the problem is with all these idiot teens who think they have the right to crash someone else's party, whether it was made private or not. Unless you got an invite then you have no business being there, stay the fuck out.

I think the problem is with all these idiot teens who think they have the right to crash someone else's party, whether it was made private or not. Unless you got an invite then you have no business being there, stay the fuck out.

+1

Truth.

The message on facebook literally said "Everyone's invited" in this case.

You can't blame facebook, when I was in HS pre-facebook if someone had a party the info would make the rounds via text and it wasn't rare that 4-500 people would show up. It's just that you can't have a big party without people crashing, or friends bringing friends who then want to bring a friend of a friend of a friend. I think in this case that public transportation is to blame, if you had to drive somewhere, you sure as hell won't park 2 miles away just to walk over to the party. This place was obviously a lot more accessible by foot/train/bus to have that many people show up.

The moral of this story : if you have a teenager in the house, execute them immediatly.