ŠKODA OCTAVIA COMBI
May 29, 2020

Skoda Superb Combi
May 26, 2020

VW Passat Estate GTE
May 26, 2020

Toyota Rav4
Sep 12, 2019

There is also a video on their YT channel about Mazda 2 brakes.

Last edited:
The "moose test" is well known in the Swedish motoring press. Around the turn of the century or so, people started to expect cars to just shrug it off with no drama. I don't really understand why we're going backwards here.

Renault Zoe

This one I wouldn't have expected. Somehow the simplistic back of my mind made the EV = low center of gravity = good against moose connection...

I don't really understand why we're going backwards here.

Also this. I remember the kind of waves made by the original merc A class test back in the day and would've thought that from that point onward basically this test would become one more standard to observe during development.

Cars getting taller, heavier and SUVier?

Yes, the A class fiasco made huge headlines. Before that, we had the late 1970's Skoda where the rear wheel folded under the car, flipping the entire thing over. (See also: Tatra and Porsche 911.) Skoda redesigned the entire rear suspension after that.

I remember the run-out version of the Opel Omega B estate being one of the last cars that produced somewhat flamboyant moose test results. Everything more modern than that sailed through with zero issues, until more recent years when cars started blowing tires and going up on two wheels and whatnot. There was also some late 00's Kia (I think) where the electric power steering got confused after the first two fast changes of direction.

Cars getting taller, heavier and SUVier?
Yeah, that would explain why current vehicles struggle more, purely from a physics perspective... but I would've still expected the manufacturers to develop ways around these issues (see addition of ESP in A class or whatever it was?). Seems like they just sort of forgot about this test during development.

Yeah, that would explain why current vehicles struggle more, purely from a physics perspective... but I would've still expected the manufacturers to develop ways around these issues (see addition of ESP in A class or whatever it was?). Seems like they just sort of forgot about this test during development.

I'm fairly sure MB did rework the chassis a bit after the moose test fiasco, but ESP did suddenly become standard across the range. They fixed a flawed chassis by adding electronic band-aids, in other words.

That said, I'm not against electronics being used to improve driving characteristics rather than as a way to bail the driver out when things have gone wrong already. Things like hydraulic schock absorbers, radial tires, disc brakes and whatnot were considered new and groundbreaking at some point too, because the Benz Patent-Motorwagen surely didn't have them. You rely on these inventions every time you take an "Ausfahrt" off the freeway, especially if there's a couple of potholes in the middle of the off-ramp bend.

Ford Mustang Mach-E fails the Moose Test​

Ford Mustang Mach-E fails the Moose Test​

That's surprising, is it not? Given how much of the weight should be down so low in an EV, I would have assumed it'd pass...although it's a heavy lump, too, and technically a "crossover", so perhaps the computer brains really do have more to do in it than I assumed.

The Mustang never was able to shake its COVID weight.

That's surprising, is it not? Given how much of the weight should be down so low in an EV, I would have assumed it'd pass...although it's a heavy lump, too, and technically a "crossover", so perhaps the computer brains really do have more to do in it than I assumed.
Look at the EV6

The Mustang never was able to shake its COVID weight.

Weight of a car, max load and max weight can stretch credulity, when a load of options are added and max load isn't reduced.... there is a thread about that.

In general, cars stopped producing flamboyant results in the moose test around the turn of the millennium. Most every new car launched after that simply shrugged it off. I remember Volvo making a big deal about its ESP system that made sure the then-new mk1 XC90 wouldn’t tip over, something taller 4x4s we’re known for at the time. Not to mention the A class…

It seems car makers in general need to fix their existing shit before rushing out new shit.

Some older fails:

Mercedes C 350 e (Hybrid)​

Kia Cee'd Sportswagon 2015​

Hyundai i40 Wagon 2015​

Hyundai i30 Wagon 2015​

Back before Korean cars were considered nice, my mate used to call all of them Hyundai Eunuch. Didn’t much matter what make or model.

Is that meant to be pronounced like "unique"? I will never see it as anything other than "eunuch".
It will only have weak engines? Or does the roof slide back?