Telegraph.co.uk's top 10 most annoying Americanisms - we can do better.

"thru" is just marketing. Like using "lite" or "x-mas" of something. People don't actually use it in their daily written language.

On a side note, Eddie Izzard has been mentioned a lot the last day or two. :p

As opposed to Germans, who call it "Kreisverkehr" (circle traffic).... (how imaginative)

People haven't got this yet.
I don't have to be an ?ber-human to offer some critique. I never said i was superior to anyone, i don't think much of the german language as well.

We call the stuff you put in your dish washer "geschirrsp?lmaschinen reinigungsmittel". (i just noticed how funny that was when hearing it out of james may's mouth on "james and oz drink to britain")

oh, and for everytime someone makes a reference to hitler when talking about germany, i can make a joke about his or her country of origin, can't i?

I think its time to make fun of germany, just for balance.

@chaos386
very witty, i think izzard is one of the very few great comedians left. allthough the modern interpretation of the four yorkshiremen in which he played a part was shit.

edit:

"thru" is just marketing. Like using "lite" or "x-mas" of something. People don't actually use it in their daily written language.

i dislike those with a passion as well :)

Last edited:

Ooh! That gives me an idea. I'll start a chain of stores: X-Mas Drive Thru Lite

We'll sell cheap crap that was built in China or Mexico. I'll make billions! :lol:

No. China's gotten too expensive now that their workers are getting basic human rights and reasonable pay. Time to shut down their factory and move production to...er...Zimbabwe.

Damn it! You guys saw through my little scheme. Well back to the drawing board. I've been thinking about a restaurant that serves breakfast (sorta like an Ihop or Waffle House) and alcoholic beverages... :D

Most good coffee houses offer drinks with some "bite", they serve food as well. I hope you've got more ideas than just that.. :lol:

Maybe a little late to the thread, but...
1- Incessant use of "like" (Like, (insert phrase) like, then, like I like...)
2- Oh my gaw-oodness
3- Jag-warr
4- The whole (as discussed^) Thru, X-Mas, etc thing
5- God bless the USA (for God's sake [<which is in itself better than "My god!!!"] we know you're patriotic. Stop shouting about it.
6- Well, listen here...
7- Howdy. Yes, it's a stereotype, but I have visited the "deep south" where many still speak that way.
8- Gawd-damn
9- Dun "I dun told ya" (remember, southern states here)
10- kaint (can't) rather than can't

2- Oh my gaw-oodness
3- Jag-warr
5- God bless the USA (for God's sake [<which is in itself better than "My god!!!"] we know you're patriotic. Stop shouting about it.
6- Well, listen here...
7- Howdy. Yes, it's a stereotype, but I have visited the "deep south" where many still speak that way.
8- Gawd-damn

Sorry to break your heart, but we Americans don't live in a Dukes of Hazzard episode.

2- Oh my gaw-oodness
3- Jag-warr
6- Well, listen here...
8- Gawd-damn

Half of your list is made up of accentual differences.
How would you react to a list of annoying words from British English, that half of the words were just everyday English words, in both British and American usage, but spelled in such a way as to emulate a strong Welsh Accent?

Half of your list is made up of accentual differences.
How would you react to a list of annoying words from British English, that half of the words were just everyday English words, in both British and American usage, but spelled in such a way as to emulate a strong Welsh Accent?

I wouldn't agree, but I wouldn't be offended. It's just what I find annoying.

Sorry to break your heart, but we Americans don't live in a Dukes of Hazzard episode.

I visit the US often, and I visit the south- Texas, Alabama, and Mississippi.
And I have heard all of those things at some point there. Particularly "kaint" and "gawd"

i'm sorry to be mr. serious again, but:
we don't have to apologise for anything. if anyone ever said anything we may say it get's on our tits. it's not important if it's common, or even correct, it may still be annoying to somebody.

i'm annoyed when someone from europe speaks any american english at all, i just think it's wrong, and i fully realise that my reasons for it aren't very good. never the less, i'm annoyed by it. does that make sense?

edit, i've just remembered having heard someone from america say "Bugatti". An experience i wouldnt've wanted to miss...

Last edited:

If you'd ask Benjamin Franklin, he wouldn't say shouting about god was patriotic in any way. quite the opposite actually. He said "Lighthouses are more useful than churches", and now that we have GPS, it's more true then ever before. :)

Also- this is from a study point of view- the reason Brit english sounds more "sophisticated" is because of the "aw" vs "ah" sound. For example, Dodge in American English: "dawdge". Dodge in British English: "Dahdge".

i'm sorry to be mr. serious again, but:
we don't have to apologise for anything. if anyone ever said anything we may say it get's on our tits. it's not important if it's common, or even correct, it may still be annoying to somebody.

i'm annoyed when someone from europe speaks any american english at all, i just think it's wrong, and i fully realise that my reasons for it aren't very good. never the less, i'm annoyed by it. does that make sense?

edit, i've just remembered having heard someone from america say "Bugatti". An experience i wouldnt've wanted to miss...

I agree, it's not as if I want to insult someone or anything, I just prefer the sound of Brit English; and as I said before I have been in America many times, and I just prefer the British sound.