Tesla 'accuse' Top Gear of being 'lying b'stards'

Stolen from Blind Io, who found it on Autoblog:
Tesla Motors is crying foul on a few of the claims made by Jeremy Clarkson in his recent review of the electric Roadster. You might recall that Clarkson ran out of juice while flinging the slinky Lotus-derived Tesla around the Top Gear test track. This was the main point driven home by the TG crew as to why electric vehicles are not yet ready for prime-time. Not so fast, says Rachel Konrad, Senior Communications Manager at Tesla Motors. Clarkson's Roadster still had 20% battery capacity left when it was pushed into a nearby hanger. Why the deception? We can't imagine Clarkson ever calling an end to his tail-out fun just because the gas power gauge reads a quarter-tank.

Another salient point from the TG review centered around a brake failure. Again, according to Konrad, the problem was actually a blown fuse, and although Clarkson makes it seem in his video review as if he was without a Roadster to continue driving while repairs were being made, that was simply not the case -- the other car was all charged up and ready to go. Lastly, Clarkson harps on the Tesla's 16-hour recharge time. It does indeed take that long to recharge from a standard outlet, but that's like filling your gas tank with an eye dropper. If absolutely necessary, it'll work, but there are much better solutions available. Tesla offers chargers that can replenish its Roadster in as little as 3.5-hours.

Later in the same episode, James May tested the Honda FCX Clarity and gave it a glowing review. There are indeed issues with EVs that will need to be addressed before we're ready for the widespread replacement of our fossil fueled cars, and the same can be said of those fueled by hydrogen. At this pivotal moment in automotive history, we wonder if a more balanced view of all the available options wouldn't be more appropriate.
This, ladies and gentlemen, is the exact point I was trying to make all the time.

On a sidenote, I'd like to add that the media - as always - is happy to fit this report with quite an offensive title/introduction. Same goes for the title of this thread. If you read the statement from Tesla Motors' PR-lady, it sounds much less harmful.

EDIT: as for the power consumption - I did some research.

Let's assume you have the highest power available to charge the Tesla, which is 240V @ 70 Amperes. That adds up to a power of 16.800 Watts. Sounds like a lot. But do you have a combi boiler (aka tankless water heater) at home? If so, are you aware that the smallest models come at 18,000 Watts? Next steps available are 21, 24, 27 and 33 kW. And do you have an electric oven? If so, do you know that an average model comes at 8,000 to 10,000 watts? And that's only two things that might run at the same time in many houses ...

To those who fear that the nearest power station might explode when too many people load their Teslas: it would already have happened by now if the power lines couldn't cope with that.

Last edited:
^ Yeah, I thought that "this car doesn't have the range Tesla says it does" bit was just blatantly misleading, because I'm pretty sure all the cars they tested in their "Supercar race on 1 gallon of gas" worked out to have worse range than that.

I mean, I know it's an entertainment show, and hardly a factual program... but come on, there's "not being factual" and then there's "being misleading".

Actually, the LP640 did 4mpg (3.3 US mpg) and the R8 did 5mpg (4.2 US mpg). The LP640 has a 26.4 US gallon tank, so when driven on a track it can do 87 miles. The R8 has a 24 US gallon tank, so it can do 96 miles.

So at least compared to those two cars, the Tesla's range is still quite a bit lower when comparing fully charged to a full tank.

I assume(!!!) from what the Tesla lady said that at 20% charge left, the Roadster applies some kind of limited-speed-get-you-to-the-next-outlet-mode to prevent a total breakdown. That however would mean that JC could at least have driven back to the hangar to have it charged and swap to the other Roadster they had. This scenario would fit her statement that when the silver Tesla Roadster stopped in Top Gears review, it would have had at least 20% charge left.

Last edited:
They care about money and ratings, that's it.

Sorry for this finally becoming personal, but you are rambling on and on and on in every thread for the last few weeks, always coming back to this same conclusion. I got it by now. Everyone got it.
I fully understand that you are unhappy with the direction you feel your favourite show has taken in the last few series (a feeling i strongly disagree with). Fine. Deal with it. But please stop posting negative comments that only seemingly are on the topic at hand but in the end always boil down to you screaming "sellout".

I only started watching TG last winter and worked through their whole back catalogue on a four-to-six-episodes a day basis (talk about procrastinating) and i actually was a bit disappointed that the amount of dumb jokes (for example, pointless caravan destructions in almost every episode), stupid challenges (the whole "cheap car challenge"-concept is stupid, but fun) and creative reviews (like James and Richard going camping with cabriolets - you really believe they stayed in a tent?) was lessened in the last seasons, having a high point around season six. Most episodes in later seasons were either plain stupid or too factual. The current season seems to rank among TG's all time best from my POV.

EDIT: Additionally, why should they change anything in the name of ratings? Why should they lie to draw a bigger audience? TG is the second-most watched TV show worldwide and has been for the last few years. They dont have to do anything you accuse them of in the name of ratings.
On top of that, as a BBC-produced programme, they don't have to worry about ratings as much as a show on commercial TV first place.

Last edited:
I am finding the level of bickering about some article quite amusing. The basic synopsis I got from the test, was that it was a quick car and a grand attempt just not quite ready for the mainstream. Tesla did and does claim a quite a bit longer range than the 55 miles Jezza did in spirited driving, whether or not it was dead empty or not really is irrelevant. If Jezza is not going full tilt around the track would that not put it as empty to him? Pushing the car back was more of a comical exaggeration. The other car broke, if it?s easier to change the brake component than a fuse in the system, that is a design flaw. And, in my opinion, if an afternoon around a track in a production version can cause a few hours of shop time to replace a fuse then no it?s not a ready for market product. As someone who designs parts and systems for aircraft where maintenance is critical, if I owned one and that happened I would be slightly upset at the lack of forethought.
The main theme I got was it costs 3x what a Lotus costs. Does it give you 3x the car. No. Is it a million times better than a Prius? OH yes.

Since we don't know why it happened, everything is speculative. However, I think that there's a difference between "it's brakes had broken" as Jeremy Clarkson said it, and a fuse blew, as it seems it has actually been. And in my book, a blown fuse is a minor problem.

Normally it is, but here it caused the brakes to fail. If you were running along at 60mph and your brakes went out, that'd be more than a minor problem, no matter what caused it. But if you don't believe me, you can remove the brakes from your car and see how you get on.

The company making the car is struggling financially. Then they give their car to a show watched by millions, hoping for a good review. Instead they get, basically, slaughtered. Yes, I'm very very suprised they claim that what top gear showed about the car is not true. Very very suprised. Indeed.

Sorry for this finally becoming personal, but you are rambling on and on and on in every thread for the last few weeks, always coming back to this same conclusion. I got it by now. Everyone got it.
I fully understand that you are unhappy with the direction you feel your favourite show has taken in the last few series (a feeling i strongly disagree with). Fine. Deal with it. But please stop posting negative comments that only seemingly are on the topic at hand but in the end always boil down to you screaming "sellout".

I don't recall ever using the word "sellout", but I suppose it fits the situation fairly accurately.

I simply pointed out that most of these "changes" were the result of the larger audience, but the question remains, why would they need to change at all? I mean, the show is great, it's gaining in popularity, why change the formula now? Regardless, they are letting the fame of the show (larger audience) influence how they do things on the program. The fact that they're making these big changes to cater to the increased ratings and increasing number of new viewers, shows exactly where their loyalty lies. If they gave a crap about the die hard fans who've been there since the beginning, they wouldn't be so eager to dumb down the show, eliminating boring educational segments like hatch comparisons and MPV reviews, and replacing them with the juvenile segments usually involving the damage or destruction of something dear to James.

If you might recall, the very first lines Jeremy spoke in that very first episode of the new format so many years ago, he made it quite clear the show is all about cars, period. Funny how all those high ratings and pay increases can change a man, don't you think? Dumped that old SL55 he had at the time and look at him now, trading in his Lamborghini Spider for a CLK Black. You may be a bigtime fanboy of the show, that's fine, but that doesn't exclude it from criticism. I've been making these same sorts of posts for quite a while now. Every year or so I get a stick up my ass and won't stop bitching about it. It's nothing new.

This latest season has been much much better and I wouldn't mind if it remained the same from here on out, because they had plenty of good car based segments where nothing was set on fire. But they're still letting other parts of the show degrade. The cheap car challenges, which I always looked forward to, are all becoming the same. They buy a few pieces of shit, crash them into eachother, blow one of them up, and end the show saying it was all a bad idea from the start. It's depressing that their standards are dropping that drastically and they don't seem to care.

If you watch some of the old car reviews on YouTube, you might actually be able to educate yourself on that particular car. You could even use the review a reason to buy or not buy a certain car. But if you watch a more recent car review.... they just dick around on the track, reading off a script so they can tell their carefully pre-written jokes and get a laugh. Their latest car reviews are more of a joke then anything else and anyone who uses them when making a real-life car buying decision is a jackass, sorry to say.

*sorry for another rant, what can I say, I care about the show alittle too much I guess*

Excuse me for a moment, geekness time.

Just imagine half a city charging their cars at 70A overnight... How the f--k will that ever be possible? It'll blackout everything. You'll have to have your own nuclear powerstation somhere in the back garden.. Probably in a kennel. Just imagine a world where dogs operate reactors :blink:

At night is considered off-peak.

It doesn't matter how many people are at home watching TV and turning on lightbulbs. It doesn't compare to the MASSIVE amounts of electricity that the developed world uses during the day to run capitalism. That's why you never hear about "rolling blackouts" in California at night. This is also why many utility companies charge a much lower rate from 7pm-7AM, to encourage you to use electricity when they have ample capacity.

I think it was both Germany and Austria (I know it was two european countries...might have been Belgium in there...) have both said that even if 30% of the population suddenly buys an electric car, the spare capacity at night at the power stations could keep up with the demand.

Also keep in mind that, yes...right now, most of US's electricity comes from coal.

Right now.

There are laws in place that are forcing changes in that. PG & E here in California gets about 18-20% from renewable sources. As technology progresses, electricity is only going to get cleaner. Things like those solar farms that James May showcased in his "Big Ideas" episode give me goosebumps. Friggin' brilliant! I can't wait for things like that to be more commonplace. As more and more sources of clean energy are found and utilized, the cleaner and cleaner that plug will become.

Also keep in mind that, yes...right now, most of US's electricity comes from coal.

Right now.

There are laws in place that are forcing changes in that. PG & E here in California gets about 18-20% from renewable sources. As technology progresses, electricity is only going to get cleaner. Things like those solar farms that James May showcased in his "Big Ideas" episode give me goosebumps. Friggin' brilliant! I can't wait for things like that to be more commonplace. As more and more sources of clean energy are found and utilized, the cleaner and cleaner that plug will become.

Solar panals are highly inefficent. The way forward is Fusion and currently we should be running on fission. In 100 years when we have Fusion power stations, every other form of electricity generation will be irrelevant.

Alright, here are my two cents:

1. Was the Tesla review fair?
It was at least much fairer, than the GT2 "review" a couple of episodes ago or some other reviews I saw on Top Gear in the past years. Considering the fact that the car obviously broke down (you simply don't get a brake failure in a petrol car, when a fuse blows and that's all there is to say!) and overheated, it was as fair as TG ever gets. Honestly, I'm waiting for the day a Tesla Roadster ignites and gives the jet set chick behind the wheel 3rd grade burns. I'm looking forward to the arising law suit. And by the way: Did they crashtest that thing at all?

2. Was the Tesla review too strict?
Why should the Tesla Roadster be treated differently? Why should it get a bonus? Just because it is electrical? Tesla explicitly sells it as an electrical alternative to petrol cars - so it should be tested like TG tests a petrol car: Rigorously. Small company on the verge of bankruptcy? Not their problem.

3. The range issue
Sooo... you drive 200 miles or so and then have to recharge. And that needs 16 hours. Hmmmm... Alright, let's be fair. Tesla says they have a miracle charger (picture anyone? Can it be transported in the car while still having two persons inside and some luggage?). So it takes "only" 3.5 hours to recharge....
Wooooow... That means when I drive, like, from Hamburg to Munich, I only need 7 hours more, than with a petrol car. Yup, that's progress! I have 7 hours more of forced leasure time on a journey. Can finally catch up on reading some books. Here's a new business idea for filling stations: Add a fancy restaurant and a cinema for all the folks waiting for their cars being recharged. Maybe a small amusement park for the children, too.

Gimme a break...

4. The suitability for daily use
The final conclusion of the TG Tesla review was, that an electrical car cannot work in the real world, as long as you have to recharge it for hours over the power grid. And I agree. It will be a pain in the ass. For example I can see the following dialogue coming up: "Honey, can I borrow your car? I have an appointment at the hairdresser and mine is still recharging for hours since I went shopping!" "Sorry, honey, need it for myself, get a taxi".
Also imagine people without a garage (like me). What do you wanna do? Use a 50 meter extension cable and lay it over the sidewalk and across the street? That'll be nice, when an old lady falls over it and breaks her hip bone. Or when some drunken teenagers on their way home from the disco unplug your car at night or cut the cable just for fun...
Not to mention that in cities with a lack of parking space (like for example Berlin) you can consider yourself lucky, if you can park your car within 200 meters of your apartment...

Basically you would have to plan your life on the recharging times of your vehicle. "Hey buddy, there's a party. Wanna come?" "I can't, my car is still recharging for 2 hours..."

Terrific...

No, no, no. No matter what kind of technology follows the internal combustion engine, it has to be a technology, which gives the car a range of 500 or more miles and a recharging/refueling time of no more than a couple of minutes. Battery-powered electric cars are only a temporary solution at best. Therefore I agree with James May that the Tesla Roadster is some interesting experiment but at the end of the day completely irrelevant.

Last edited:
Considering the fact that the car obviously broke down (you simply don't get a brake failure in a petrol car, when a fuse blows and that's all there is to say!) and overheated, it was as fair as TG ever gets.

You need to define "brake failure". Because the only thing that probably happened was a dash light came on. I suppose if Jeremy Clarkson was testing a car and a Check Engine light came on, the dunce would try and claim the engine broke.

And the overheating thing... Jeremy was driving that car around at 13-14,000 RPM. What sort of cooling system does it have? Any? It doesn't surprise me Tesla built in systems to prevent the idiot driver from burning the motor up. I don't see that as a bad thing.

Meh, I'll argue the "brake failure", but I can't really be apologetic about the cooling issue. I mean, I know it's not a track car... but come on, it has to last longer than an outing on a track, at least.

I'm sure they'll work that out, though.

The overheating problem was also reported in other road tests - it is not a problem only Top Gear encountered.

Tesla did and does claim a quite a bit longer range than the 55 miles Jezza did in spirited driving, whether or not it was dead empty or not really is irrelevant. If Jezza is not going full tilt around the track would that not put it as empty to him? Pushing the car back was more of a comical exaggeration.
The question remains: does the electronic brain of the car reduce performance when a critical level of charge is met to prevent the car from suddenly coming to a dead halt? So the question of whether the car had to be pushed back or whether it was still able to drive (and they pushed it back for entertainment purposes) would very much interest me if I were to buy a Tesla.

The other car broke, if it?s easier to change the brake component than a fuse in the system, that is a design flaw. And, in my opinion, if an afternoon around a track in a production version can cause a few hours of shop time to replace a fuse then no it?s not a ready for market product. As someone who designs parts and systems for aircraft where maintenance is critical, if I owned one and that happened I would be slightly upset at the lack of forethought.
I see your point, but we don't know much about the situation. I assume that when they are shooting, they want to get it over with as quickly as possible. So given they had some replacement parts there, it probably was quicker to change the pump instead of the fuse, simply to get the car rolling again. I do agree with you that this sounds like a design flaw, but since we don't know the details, I'll hold back my final judgement.

Normally it is, but here it caused the brakes to fail. If you were running along at 60mph and your brakes went out, that'd be more than a minor problem, no matter what caused it. But if you don't believe me, you can remove the brakes from your car and see how you get on.
You're missing a small, yet important difference. The system that supposedly went offline in the Tesla is the regenerative brake system. It reverses the polarity of the engine when braking, thus making it work as a generator and load the batteries. You still have the actual brakes on the car, it's just that their performance likely won't be enough for track use without the regenerative brake.

The company making the car is struggling financially. Then they give their car to a show watched by millions, hoping for a good review. Instead they get, basically, slaughtered. Yes, I'm very very suprised they claim that what top gear showed about the car is not true. Very very suprised. Indeed.
They didn't get slaughtered, since the review didn't slash the Roadster. It's just that a number of facts was misrepresented, and that there's the assumption that some of the things shown in the review didn't actually happen like that.

Alright, here are my two cents:

1. Was the Tesla review fair?
It was at least much fairer, than the GT2 "review" a couple of episodes ago or some other reviews I saw on Top Gear in the past years. Considering the fact that the car obviously broke down (you simply don't get a brake failure in a petrol car, when a fuse blows and that's all there is to say!) and overheated, it was as fair as TG ever gets. Honestly, I'm waiting for the day a Tesla Roadster ignites and gives the jet set chick behind the wheel 3rd grade burns. I'm looking forward to the arising law suit. And by the way: Did they crashtest that thing at all?
Like I've said before, journalism like on Top Gear includes that you only show a fraction of what actually happens with the cars during testing, so whether they show us happy-revving or failures and breakdowns is solely down to them. About the brake failure, read my reply to Tompie913. About the fire, search for pictures of burning Ferraris on hard shoulders. About crash tests I don't know. But since this is based on the Elise, I think it would hold up pretty good. Also, I didn't know we had reached a level where we all drive 45 hp Renaults, because crash safety suddenly is important.

2. Was the Tesla review too strict?
Why should the Tesla Roadster be treated differently? Why should it get a bonus? Just because it is electrical? Tesla explicitly sells it as an electrical alternative to petrol cars - so it should be tested like TG tests a petrol car: Rigorously. Small company on the verge of bankruptcy? Not their problem.
Of course it shouldn't be handled differently than any other car. The thing is that it looks like it was shoved under a bad light deliberately by faking certain happenings and not representing the stats of the car correctly.

3. The range issue
Sooo... you drive 200 miles or so and then have to recharge. And that needs 16 hours. Hmmmm... Alright, let's be fair. Tesla says they have a miracle charger (picture anyone? Can it be transported in the car while still having two persons inside and some luggage?). So it takes "only" 3.5 hours to recharge....
Wooooow... That means when I drive, like, from Hamburg to Munich, I only need 7 hours more, than with a petrol car. Yup, that's progress! I have 7 hours more of forced leasure time on a journey. Can finally catch up on reading some books. Here's a new business idea for filling stations: Add a fancy restaurant and a cinema for all the folks waiting for their cars being recharged. Maybe a small amusement park for the children, too.

Gimme a break...

4. The suitability for daily use
The final conclusion of the TG Tesla review was, that an electrical car cannot work in the real world, as long as you have to recharge it for hours over the power grid. And I agree. It will be a pain in the ass. For example I can see the following dialogue coming up: "Honey, can I borrow your car? I have an appointment at the hairdresser and mine is still recharging for hours since I went shopping!" "Sorry, honey, need it for myself, get a taxi".
Also imagine people without a garage (like me). What do you wanna do? Use a 50 meter extension cable and lay it over the sidewalk and across the street? That'll be nice, when an old lady falls over it and breaks her hip bone. Or when some drunken teenagers on their way home from the disco unplug your car at night or cut the cable just for fun...
Not to mention that in cities with a lack of parking space (like for example Berlin) you can consider yourself lucky, if you can park your car within 200 meters of your apartment...

Basically you would have to plan your life on the recharging times of your vehicle. "Hey buddy, there's a party. Wanna come?" "I can't, my car is still recharging for 2 hours..."

Terrific...

No, no, no. No matter what kind of technology follows the internal combustion engine, it has to be a technology, which gives the car a range of 500 or more miles and a recharging/refueling time of no more than a couple of minutes. Battery-powered electric cars are only a temporary solution at best. Therefore I agree with James May that the Tesla Roadster is some interesting experiment but at the end of the day completely irrelevant.
You're absolutely missing the point. Noone is trying to convince you or any other participator of this thread that the Tesla Roadster is the answer to all of our questions. Yes, electrical cars have problems. These problems are down to the technology itself (mainly energy storage) and the missing infrastructure to run these cars large scale. The petrol car has had 100 years and general acceptance of the public to have its infrastructure built. How is one single electric car from one small manufacturer that's just been here going to make up for that?

However, the point of this discussion is a very different one. I absolutely agree with you that the Tesla should be treated like any other car, and that the disadvantages of an electric car have to be published in the process. Yet, I expect the things I see and hear to be the actual facts, otherwise I have no chance of getting a true-to-life picture on where Tesla Motors actually stands on the EV. If Top Gear really fabricated things to worsen the shortcomings of the Tesla, they went way too far. An EV does have its shortcomings, but nevertheless, a review about such a car should display what actually happened. And the fear that the Top Gear review did not do that remains until further details surface.

Take the Clarity as an example. Did they say how hard it is to find a hydrogen filling station to fill your car? No. Did they say how difficult and energy-consuming it is to make hydrogen? No. Now, they could, if they wanted to, have shown James May driving the Clarity being happy, suddenly running low on hydrogen, driving around desperately to find a hydrogen filling station and then come to a halt in the middle of nowhere. Top Gear can do such things, they have done it before. They can make one and the same car look good or bad in a review, it's solely up to them.

EDIT: as of overheating Tesla engines, I found this:
When I went for a ride with Darryl Siry in the Tesla Roadster following the Los Angeles Auto Show, we discussed a wide array of topics relating to the car. One of those areas was the use of the Roadster as track car. Given the heritage of the chassis being derived from the Lotus Elise and the frequent use of the that car on the track, it would seem to be an obvious application. Unfortunately for buyers of the Roadster, that won't be a viable option. The power electronics module (PEM) monitors a variety of the sensors in and around the battery pack and the air-cooled AC motor. If anything starts to get too hot, the PEM will automatically start limiting the power flow from the battery until things cool down. The result is that after a only a couple of laps of all-out track running, the motor will start to heat up and performance will be limited. On the road in real world conditions this won't be a problem, because conditions generally won't allow that sort of sustained extreme driving.

At some future point after the Roadster is well-established in production, Darryl would like to consider producing a dedicated track car similar to what Lotus does with the 2-Eleven. Tesla could potentially offer a chassis and power-train combination with a higher power battery pack and liquid cooled motor. They could also sponsor a single make racing series along the lines of the Porsche Cup or Ferrari Challenge. If any of that does happen though it will be off in the future after Tesla has resolved their current issues. You can listen to Darryl and I discussing the subject here

Last edited:
Couple of things.

"At no time were Top Gear without a working Roadster". With two of them, it means one did break.

"Brake failure - it was just a blown fuse" - If I hit the brake pedal and it doesn't work, I'm going to call it brake failure. An engineer might call it a "failure in the 3/8ths gripley" but the upshot is, the brakes didn't work.

"3.5 hours on a high power charger pack" - Either ship one to TG or if it doesn't work on the UK power system (quite likely given the amps/voltage difference) then you are a bit stiffed. If everyone is expected to get the HPC then make it part of the sale of the car - otherwise it is like saying my car could go faster if only I'd fitted the optional turbocharger.

"At no time were Top Gear without a working Roadster". With two of them, it means one did break.
So it's natural to assume the worst, yes?

"There are good people in the world.". So two or three are good, and the rest are man-slaughtering burglars and rapists?

"Brake failure - it was just a blown fuse" - If I hit the brake pedal and it doesn't work, I'm going to call it brake failure. An engineer might call it a "failure in the 3/8ths gripley" but the upshot is, the brakes didn't work.
the Interceptor said:
The system that supposedly went offline in the Tesla is the regenerative brake system. It reverses the polarity of the engine when braking, thus making it work as a generator and load the batteries. You still have the actual brakes on the car, it's just that their performance likely won't be enough for track use without the regenerative brake.

"3.5 hours on a high power charger pack" - Either ship one to TG or if it doesn't work on the UK power system (quite likely given the amps/voltage difference) then you are a bit stiffed. If everyone is expected to get the HPC then make it part of the sale of the car - otherwise it is like saying my car could go faster if only I'd fitted the optional turbocharger.
Again, you assume the worst. You say Top Gear didn't have one - how do you know? You say it doesn't fit on the UK power system - how do you know? It would have been enough if JC had at least mentioned the option of the high power charging. He didn't. Instead, he said how to charge it slow, and how to charge it slower.
If he would have been interested in giving this car an unbiased review, he would have been on about how you have to pay extra money for a quick charger, how it should have been part of the purchase in the first place and how it still takes 3.5 hours to load the car then. Instead, he didn't say a thing and made it look like it takes 16 hours or more to charge the batteries in every case.

Also, I must raise the question why we have to go over the same things again and again?

I guess it was more like a warning on the dashboard, TomCat is right 'bout that.
Still, if a "brake failure" warning is on the dashboard, i would not give the car any more track action.

On a completely different note, a sports coup?, not even a grand tourer, has to be able to handle track action, otherwise it misses the point of being a sportscar.

@The interceptor: If marketing says "without a working roadster" when they got two, one broke down. Otherwise marketing would have stated "both worked all the time". That's marketing.

On a completely different note, a sports coup?, not even a grand tourer, has to be able to handle track action, otherwise it misses the point of being a sportscar.
Good point. It seems like quite a step backwards to offer a Roadster that can't be used on the track. On the other hand, who would buy an electric car to use it on the track? Nevertheless, I do agree that this is an issue which should be addressed by Tesla. On the other hand - coming from discussions about GT-R gearboxes and Z06 engines - no manufacturer builds a street car for track use.

@The interceptor: If marketing says "without a working roadster" when they got two, one broke down. Otherwise marketing would have stated "both worked all the time". That's marketing.
It may also mean that one was charging, if I may be so bold to assume so.

Last edited: