Tesla Model S catches fire while charging

kurthest

Car(s)
2008 BMW 335i Coupe (e92)
Can't wait to see what the Tesla excuse for this is going to be. "Gasoline powered cars catch on fire when refueling all the time, so this shouldn't be cause for alarm," perhaps?

I didn't know Tesla was Italian...

Supposedly it was a "temporary" supercharger...whatever that means.

Can't wait to see what the Tesla excuse for this is going to be. "Gasoline powered cars catch on fire when refueling all the time, so this shouldn't be cause for alarm," perhaps?

Lol, ^that^.

Also, natural gas powered cars exploding everytime, maybe Tesla should build LiPo powered car aswell?

And diesel cars are... diesel. They-they're baad! Right, Tesla should totally make a car that exhaust defoliants to keep up with consumer's choice.

P.S. Wonder, why haven't the autopilot called the Fire Department? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I will stick to petrol cars for as long as they sell petrol...

This kind of thinking really rustles my jimmies.

Every now and then, a make and model of car is plagued by fires for one reason or another. Let's, for the sake of argument, take the Volvo 850 as an example. Lots of 850's have gone up in flames because of a malfunctioning seat heater. My own 1994 850 blew the seat heater fuse when you switched either of them on, and you couldn't just pull the fuse for good because that left you without power mirrors as well.

My point, you ask? Well, people don't stay away from Volvos or from petrol/diesel cars just because of this. Most people probably never cared. But when one of these newfangled* electric jobs go up in flames, the obvious reaction is to swear off electric cars from good.

Sheesh.

*Electric cars have been around since the late 1800's, but I digress.

Then again, I remember a discussion on FinalGear IRC where someone's mother, a GM V6 driver, didn't want anything to do with inline-fours because her daughter (or whatever it was) had a problem with an inline-four once.

This kind of thinking really rustles my jimmies.

Every now and then, a make and model of car is plagued by fires for one reason or another. Let's, for the sake of argument, take the Volvo 850 as an example. Lots of 850's have gone up in flames because of a malfunctioning seat heater. My own 1994 850 blew the seat heater fuse when you switched either of them on, and you couldn't just pull the fuse for good because that left you without power mirrors as well.

My point, you ask? Well, people don't stay away from Volvos or from petrol/diesel cars just because of this. Most people probably never cared. But when one of these newfangled* electric jobs go up in flames, the obvious reaction is to swear off electric cars from good.

Sheesh.

*Electric cars have been around since the late 1800's, but I digress.

Then again, I remember a discussion on FinalGear IRC where someone's mother, a GM V6 driver, didn't want anything to do with inline-fours because her daughter (or whatever it was) had a problem with an inline-four once.

Well, this is not the only reason why I will never consider an electrically powered vehicle.

Sheesh.

Well, if the G-whiz would've gone up in flames, nobody would've care, right. But when claimed "superior genius-produced piece of top engineering" (which cost a fortune btw) self-incinerates after few recharges.. - that cannot be settled as "oops, we're sorry".

It's not about "electric cars are baaad", it's about "we want some responseability for our monewz". ;)

Is this the first one that went "whoof"? If so the "temporary charger" could be the issue and the cars are, in the main, fine.

Well as fine as they get anyway. I inspected a parked one in Maastricht last week and I do see what Spectre and others say about the interior. It's not special enough for a car in that price range, even factoring in the cost of the electrickery.

that cannot be settled as "oops, we're sorry".
I don't think anyone from Tesla has claimed anything of the sort.

It's not special enough for a car in that price range, even factoring in the cost of the electrickery.
Car interiors are expensive and difficult to make, especially if you're a small player.

Car interiors are expensive and difficult to make, especially if you're a small player.

Jaguar seems to manage it and they don't shift that many more units than Tesla did last year, just over 81K units in 2014 compared to Tesla's 52K last year. Sure you don't reap the same economies of scale at those numbers as the big players do but at the prices Teslas go for they should be able to compete in a similar fashion.

And Jaguar only has a history of building cars for how long?

Why is this turning into a fight over off-topic principles again? Oh right. Spectre.

And Jaguar only has a history of building cars for how long?

Irrelevant. You don't get into a new XF and see the interior from an XK120.

And no, this is nothing to do with Spectre which is why I asked the question about how many Tesla's have gone on fire. I am trying to maintain a certain amount of balance.