Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
Looks like Slightly Mad Studios have been busy working on this new addition to the Test Drive series. (NOTE: This is not a continuation of the Test Drive Unlimited series)

Got some details on the game, thanks to TDU-Central and BADNED:

- Multiple Racing Types - Experience a variety of race type challenges including Rally, GT, and Formula 1
- Extensive Online Competition - Race in online competitions with up to 8 player multi-integration
- 36 Circuits, Including Variations - Drive your way through 36 circuits including GP Circuits, Test Circuits, and Bonus Circuits
- 52 Stunningly Detailed cars - Re-live the greatest modern and classic Ferrari models with 52 stunningly detailed cars
- Advanced AI - Challenge highly intelligent, realistic, and difficult AI opponents to push you to the next level

And a few teaser pictures:
td_ferrari_f50_1.jpg

td_ferrari_f1_1.jpg]

td_ferrari_classicf1_1.jpg

td_ferrari_classicf1_2.jpg

td_ferrari_classicf1.gif

td_ferrari_288gtorace.gif

Hopefully this uses the unadulterated SMS physics engine and doesn't drive like Shift 2. 52 Ferraris can't be snuffed at...

^ Still, a racing game with "only" 52 cars...? Forza already has like 30 of them...
Maybe a good game, and I very much it will be one, but financial success I predict not...

Not Ferrari challenge, but there was a terrible Ferrari game out 2? Years ago.

I'm listening...

I would rather have a game with 52 truly unique cars (as in they are modeled both for physics and aesthetics to a high level of detail) than one with 1000 cars of which the majority feel very similar. Hell I use less than 20 cars on a regular basis in GT5....

Hopefully this will be like PGR4, but with sim-based physics and stunning visuals + audio. If it can do that, I'm totally onboard.

Last edited:
I'm interested! :D

There's a surprising lack of Ferraris in current games (especially the classic and 90's Ferraris), so this will be nice! :D

I'm listening...

I would rather have a game with 52 truly unique cars (as in they are modeled both for physics and aesthetics to a high level of detail) than one with 1000 cars of which the majority feel very similar. Hell I use less than 20 cars on a regular basis in GT5....

Hopefully this will be like PGR4, but with sim-based physics and stunning visuals + audio. If it can do that, I'm totally onboard.

100% agreed.

What I want is a game that is to Ferrari as Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed was to Porsche back in the day. A game that brings out the true passion of the brand and manages to be a great game even with just one make of car.

First trailer released:

It doesn't look mind-blowing, but it also looks like it might be okay and I think that's important - having mediocre goals and expectations. At least the game isn't trying to be like TDU2 the "ultimate driving game".

Last edited:
Meh...just looks like NFS Shift with only Ferraris.

Don't get me wrong, it might be a fun game, but I certainly won't pay $40 for it.

Let's consider this - FM4 for Xbox360 was about $60 when it came out, but it featured 20 times more cars than this ever will.

And I don't want the developers to start bitching about development costs...what development costs? Most of the car models are widely available, you just have to pay license for them. The tracks are also featured in many other Slightly Mad Studios games. The graphics engine, by the looks of things is the engine from TDU2...so really, what development costs?

I will buy this for $10.

Don't get me wrong, it might be a fun game, but I certainly won't pay $40 for it.

Let's consider this - FM4 for Xbox360 was about $60 when it came out, but it featured 20 times more cars than this ever will.

And I don't want the developers to start bitching about development costs...what development costs? Most of the car models are widely available, you just have to pay license for them. The tracks are also featured in many other Slightly Mad Studios games. The graphics engine, by the looks of things is the engine from TDU2...so really, what development costs?

I will buy this for $10.

Ignorance.

Do you have any clue about the costs that go into making a game?

Meh...just looks like NFS Shift with only Ferraris.
Does worry me a lot because of the "high-speed blur" and weird tire physics (looks like when you try to turn right, the car yaws left and tires starts to scream), I'm convinced it's no more than Shift 2 with Ferraris in it....
If Slightly Mad is away from the EA crap why still keep those useless bullshit! Just give us an honest simulator!

Ignorance.

Do you have any clue about the costs that go into making a game?

No, I do understand the efforts and costs that go into making a new game from scratch which offers something different from other games.

This on the other hand looks like an expansion pack to NFS Shift 2, except it's not going to be called NFS. It will be expensive to develop, because everything has to be accommodated to the different game engine...but why? What do customers care if at the end the final product looks exactly like NFS?

If you were going to put money and efforts into a game - make it worth it.

No, I do understand the efforts and costs that go into making a new game from scratch which offers something different from other games.

This on the other hand looks like an expansion pack to NFS Shift 2, except it's not going to be called NFS. It will be expensive to develop, because everything has to be accommodated to the different game engine...but why? What do customers care if at the end the final product looks exactly like NFS?

If you were going to put money and efforts into a game - make it worth it.

Assumptions and ignorance.

You don't know what the team is paid, you don't know what the licenses cost or whether they carry over to other titles, you don't know what engine they are using, you don't know what has been remodeled and what hasn't, you don't know what improvements have been done to the physics, you don't know how long the game has been in development, you only know a small part of the features.

I've seen a lot of shitty arguments about why x new game coming out will suck. This is one of the shittiest. I'm not defending this game. I'm not even going to play it. I didn't like Shift 2 and I don't think I'll like this. But that doesn't allow you to make baseless assumptions about things you are completely ignorant to.

Assumptions and ignorance.

You don't know what the team is paid, you don't know what the licenses cost or whether they carry over to other titles, you don't know what engine they are using, you don't know what has been remodeled and what hasn't, you don't know what improvements have been done to the physics, you don't know how long the game has been in development, you only know a small part of the features.

I've seen a lot of shitty arguments about why x new game coming out will suck. This is one of the shittiest. I'm not defending this game. I'm not even going to play it. I didn't like Shift 2 and I don't think I'll like this. But that doesn't allow you to make baseless assumptions about things you are completely ignorant to.

I never said that the game will suck. My argument was only concerning value for money. All of the things you mentioned cost money, resources, and time to develop. But from a customer perspective - why am I forced to pay similar amount for money for two games, one of which offers 20 times the options and gameplay opportunities of the other?

To use a parallel with the music industry - EP's and singles(any record under 25 minutes) is sold at one price, LP's (full albums) are sold at another price, and then Double albums at a different.

With this game it looks like we will be getting the equivalent of an EP for the price of an LP. And they are doing it because they can! If Forza 4 was available on PC, we probably wouldn't even be talking about this game.